Water Weight

Options
On Christmas Eve I weighed in at 125.5 pounds. Today I weighed in at 132.4 pounds. I'm really confused because I had maybe a couple splurges. But have pretty much ate normally and have been working out harder then usual though I usually work out 6 days per week just have been doing a bit longer sessions (only day I didn't work out was Christmas). Whats going on? In the previous two days in fact I've actually gone up three pounds! BTW I'm twenty six years old, female and about 5 foot 6 inches tall.

It just doesn't seem normal to gain weight that fast especially with what I've been eating... I'm almost wondering if I might be working out too hard and not eating enough because somedays i think i've been eating less then normal even. So i guess my question is...is this weight water weight or fat weight? Cuz it has been consistently going up every single day and I have no idea why at this point...

Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat nearly 25,000 calories more than maintenance in order to gain seven pounds of fat.

It could be from increasing your exercise. It could be your sodium levels. If you're nearing your TOM, it could be that as well.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh 4 pounds less today then I did Monday morning. Water, sodium, TOM and exercise all contribute to short term gains. Stay the course - log everything, eat at a proper deficit and continue with your exercise.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else already said, It could be a variety of factors. It's definitely not fat so don't stress. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My daily swing is often in excess of 6 pounds. I can sweat off 4 pounds of water in a single long run. Poop schedule (it has significant mass, y'know). Weigh your dinner plate sometime. I can weigh two pounds more immediately after dinner, less than 10 minutes after the previous weigh in. If there were 2 pound on the plate, it is now inside my gullet and contributing towards my current weight.

A 6 pound swing in a couple of days (or even in the same day) doesn't bother me at all.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Definitely water retention. My weight can fluctuate wildly with water, anywhere from 2-7 lbs from day to day. I never really know my true weight, I just have to take an average.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I diet low carb and have high carb but still low calorie I still gain back all the water weight I shed based on glycemic control. ..literally I can gain 6-8 lbs within hours of eating something overly sweet.. And it takes about 3 days to get that fluid off. The bright note is it is just water and not fat, so it does come right back off.

• jahuntley27
    Options
    torims6 wrote: »
    On Christmas Eve I weighed in at 125.5 pounds. Today I weighed in at 132.4 pounds. I'm really confused because I had maybe a couple splurges. But have pretty much ate normally and have been working out harder then usual though I usually work out 6 days per week just have been doing a bit longer sessions (only day I didn't work out was Christmas). Whats going on? In the previous two days in fact I've actually gone up three pounds! BTW I'm twenty six years old, female and about 5 foot 6 inches tall.

It just doesn't seem normal to gain weight that fast especially with what I've been eating... I'm almost wondering if I might be working out too hard and not eating enough because somedays i think i've been eating less then normal even. So i guess my question is...is this weight water weight or fat weight? Cuz it has been consistently going up every single day and I have no idea why at this point...

Thanks!

Try to ignore scale weight and focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit. As others pointed out, the weight deviation is likely the combination of water retention and/or a faulty scale.

• torims6
    torims6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well it's been a week and I've only lost 1.5 to 2 pounds of it. I measured today and it looks like I've gained almost an inch on each thigh, plus an inch on my hips. Not even sure how it is possible to gain 5lbs of fat in a weeks time when ate pretty much normal and exercised even a bit more then normal, but I guess i've managed to do the impossible unfortunately. Granted I had a piece of cake on two of those days, but it wasn't like half a cake or something. Seriously cannot believe this. If i would of know i was gonna gain five pounds maybe I would of indulged more! Geez... unless I'm retaining water in my thighs it looks like it's probably fat...
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you weighed everything? Did you eat back the calories you burned off? The exercise calories aren't exactly accurate they could be off by 25-50%. Did you eat alot of salty foods? Erm... Any hormonal changes like pregnancy or periods? Stress? These could be the factors.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. OMG! I never thought I would say this. I've been here for almost 3 years. About a month ago I started a concerted effort to drink 8 glasses of water a day in addition to my 2 cups of decaf coffee (real on Sundays) and I am living proof that it makes a difference in your well-being. :)

I've been maintaining for 2 years without worrying about my water intake. I just took water bloating in stride and waited for it to go away when it happened. However, by drinking this much water, I don't get bloated. I don't have to pee any more frequently (and I take meds for a weak bladder) and I have really healthier looking poo. (gross, huh).

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On Christmas Eve I weighed in at 125.5 pounds. Today I weighed in at 132.4 pounds.
    I doubt you gained more than 3-4lbs in a week. I say that, after looking at my very worst gains in the past. 125.5+4 = 129.5. Even that would leave 3lbs water weight.
    Well it's been a week and I've only lost 1.5 to 2 pounds of it.
    So, 129.5=>130.5. Might you have gained another pound of fat this week?

(It's not a pleasant thought, but it's possible, and fits the data.)
    I had maybe a couple splurges.
    If it's mysterious how often you splurged, I'm guessing you're not logging everything? If it's mysterious whether the gain is fat or water, I'm guessing you're not using a scale that measure fat? At least for me, those take some of the mystery out of weight loss. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're pregnant?
  • torims6
    torims6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't go off of calorie counts on machines. I have had a heart rate monitor for awhile now and it has seemed to be accurate so far (been using one for five years...).

i don't use my fitness pal for logging. thats why i have nothing on here. i don't log everything but i do weigh things-- i have a lot of food allergies/intolerances so i tend to eat the same things pretty much everyday-- hence why I didn't splurge much over the holidays. On Christmas I had a glass of Silk Egg Nog, about five slices of bacon and a couple cookies outside of what I would normal eat. On the 27th I had some soy ice cream and a slice of cake. Those were my splurges.

I probably didn't drink enough water, but i never really do (i know it's something I need to work on...) but since I never really drink enough water I'm thinking thats probably not it.

I am stressed BUT I'm always stressed! Nothing knew!

It''s impossible that I'm pregnant. 100% certain thats not it!

^^ I think this answers all the above questions! Any additional help or advice would be greatly appreciated as this is extremely frustrating for me!
  • Raykels
    Raykels Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well you seem to be refusing to accept any suggestions so what exactly are you looking for? If you're working out moe it could be muscle build?
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! Sounds frustrating. :(
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "i don't log everything ..."

<sigh>

Then give up now.

How do you know what to do unless you know what you did?

What do you want from the good folks here if you can't even provide accurate information?

You're wasting everybody's time, including your own.