waist cincher?

Options
So, this is becoming very popular. What do y'all think. Is it worth a try or no?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Since you asked this on the weight loss forum, I'm guessing you're asking, "Does waist cinching aid in weight loss?"

The answer is no.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It makes your waist smaller by distorting your rib cage (thus compressing your lungs; one reason Victorian ladies fainted all the time) and moving your internal organs out of their normal place in your body. Not something for me.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss. The amount of time and money and sacrifice it takes to create a semi-permanent change safely far exceeds the reward, and it won't cause any actual loss of weight, just a slight redistribution.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love to corset! It's beautiful and makes me feel sexy, and if you do it properly it's perfectly safe. That being said, there's no permanent effects for weight loss or inch loss. Personal choice is what it comes down to.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Good for posture, if done correctly.
  • MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What about a Saran wrap while exercising? Will that help in decreasing waist size? I've heard people use it to sweat more.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    STs07TDdxyKru.gif[img][/img]
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I love to corset! It's beautiful and makes me feel sexy, and if you do it properly it's perfectly safe. That being said, there's no permanent effects for weight loss or inch loss. Personal choice is what it comes down to.
    Yes, it's more a fashion choice than a fitness choice... =)
    Good for posture, if done correctly.
    IMO, not so much.... If you need a corset to improve your posture, it better be fitted by a healthcare professional.... Improving posture long-term is better done with proper strength training, and I'm writing from personal experience here.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What about a Saran wrap while exercising? Will that help in decreasing waist size? I've heard people use it to sweat more.

Counterproductive. You might lose more water weight temporarily, but you won't be able to work your muscles as hard or for as long and won't torch the number of calories you would have otherwise.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    It makes your waist smaller by distorting your rib cage (thus compressing your lungs; one reason Victorian ladies fainted all the time) and moving your internal organs out of their normal place in your body. Not something for me.

A waist cincher won't do that. A steel boned corset worn daily for years might do the trick though. I'm not advocating either. Cinchers are good for smoothing out lines under clothing if you want to pull your belly in, like spanx or a panty girdle.

I've corseted before, I love the look, they are beautiful and fun to wear if properly fitted.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    "Waist" of money.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Spanx for me!

This whole corset thing is a fad and done primarily by teens and young women. When I can, I'm happy to wear a good pair of Spanx. Most of the time, it's way too hot around here for that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Very vain, if you ask me...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »

A waist cincher won't do that. A steel boned corset worn daily for years might do the trick though. I'm not advocating either. Cinchers are good for smoothing out lines under clothing if you want to pull your belly in, like spanx or a panty girdle.

I've corseted before, I love the look, they are beautiful and fun to wear if properly fitted.

Yes, I would think it would take years to actually distort the ribs.

I love the look, but I'm not about to do it. I like comfortable clothes too much!