Any 30 something's with too many wine calories?

Options
nm82baby
nm82baby Posts: 30 Member
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi. I was on MFP before and now I am back weighing more than ever. I have 90lbs to lose, but do not eat quite as bad as some other people I know (very little sweets, rarely eat fried food, no pop or sugary [non-alcoholic] beverages). My biggest problem is that I like to relax and wind down with wine and sometimes cheese. Just wondering what other wine lovers have successfully done to trade in the empty calories for a better form of relaxation? I'm looking to become friends with anyone who might help keep me motivated and I'll return the favor!

Replies

• bexw26
    bexw26 Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi nm82baby!

I'm in the same boat... 30 something with lots of wine and cheese calories accumulated over the years and can't think of a lovelier way to end the day. However this is my FOURTH attempt at MFP in as many years and I'm really determined. I'm currently 5ft 4 and weighing 177lbs. I've just completed my very first day of Couch to 5K and that's how I intend to continue indulging in wine (and occasionally cheese ;) ). I've never been a runner and I don't aspire to be, I just want to be fit and healthy... hopefully I'll come to love jogging/running so much that I'll look forward to that at the end of the day rather than the wine. I've just really surprised myself there with how motivated I am!

It's different for me this time as I'm more of the attitude that this is a long term thing rather than a quick fix. For that reason I have my goal set at losing 1lb per week so that it's sustainable and if I don't lose one week, I'm not going to beat myself up about it this time! I refuse to deny myself my simple pleasures.

I'm not sure where you are but I'm from the UK and would be happy to help you along if I can. Feel free to add me :D
  • misskallijo
    Options
    mmmm... wine... pinot nior is my downfall... that and a good dirty martini! :) I'm also trying to cut back- feel free to message or friend me :)
  • New. How do I add someone. I click on your name & it takes me to an error
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I drink wine 5-6 days a week and eat cheese almost every day. I don't need to trade anything. I just try to limit it to about 6oz. On a day where I have a nice deficit, I might increase it to 12oz :) However, I automatically log a glass of wine in my diary every day before I plan any other food. My only question is when I get to the end of the day, do I still feel like drinking it.
  • nm82baby
    Options
    bexw26 wrote: »
    Hi nm82baby!

I'm in the same boat... 30 something with lots of wine and cheese calories accumulated over the years and can't think of a lovelier way to end the day. However this is my FOURTH attempt at MFP in as many years and I'm really determined. I'm currently 5ft 4 and weighing 177lbs. I've just completed my very first day of Couch to 5K and that's how I intend to continue indulging in wine (and occasionally cheese ;) ). I've never been a runner and I don't aspire to be, I just want to be fit and healthy... hopefully I'll come to love jogging/running so much that I'll look forward to that at the end of the day rather than the wine. I've just really surprised myself there with how motivated I am!

It's different for me this time as I'm more of the attitude that this is a long term thing rather than a quick fix. For that reason I have my goal set at losing 1lb per week so that it's sustainable and if I don't lose one week, I'm not going to beat myself up about it this time! I refuse to deny myself my simple pleasures.

I'm not sure where you are but I'm from the UK and would be happy to help you along if I can. Feel free to add me :D

It sounds like you have a smart plan, bexw26! Once I get under 200lbs I'll consider burning more calories so I can put the wine back in my diet, but for now I want to be a bit more strict.

I want to know how the couch to 5k goes. I'm in Michigan, but virtual support is definitely welcome! I'll be sure to add you. Thank you for sharing!

• kateyk0128
    kateyk0128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yesss, any alcohol really. I'm almost 36 and most my fat is alcohol and chocolate. I am coming to the realization that I need to give it up completely.. well, maybe not completely...
  • nm82baby
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mmmm... wine... pinot nior is my downfall... that and a good dirty martini! :) I'm also trying to cut back- feel free to message or friend me :)

Hahaha...I have a bottle of Pinot Noir in the kitchen now. My husband and I do also enjoy dirty martinis. I'm gonna try to stop all the alcoholic beverages until I lose 50 lbs. This is my last drinking weekend for a while. Thanks for responding! We definitely have drinks in common. Lol. I'll be adding you! Good luck with your weight goals!

• nm82baby
    Options
    I'll add you billandamandastevens. I was getting an error on my phone as well.

@kateyk0128‌ I work for a chocolate company so that's a daily temptation for me too. I have done well at saying no to that at least! We can help each other stop getting fat from booze! Lol
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    -I almost never open a bottle in the house - It would be awful to waste a perfectly good bottle of wine so I feel compelled to drink the entire bottle (not necessarily in one night ;) !
    -I don't restrict completely and allow for a date night once a week to go out and have a glass.
    -I run. Running, especially long distances, gives me enough burned calories to allow for some flexible enjoyment. Running has also become great stress relief. On those days when I'm stressed from work and really wanting to indulge in a glass of wine, I run. I tell myself that I can go ahead and have that extra glass, but first I have to run. Often by the time I'm finished running, I don't want the wine.

You don't have to give up anything completely. You just have to figure out how to manage it in moderation.
  • Nitole888
    Options
    I love some wine! It's helped pack on some of the 10lbs I gained back after losing 45lbs the last year, I took on a challange with a friend of mine of no drinking until march, if either of us crack, we owe the other person $50 + a bottle of wine....it's been 3 days I'm really missing it.I bought a bottle of sparkling cider to drink from my wine glasses. .lol
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nitole888 wrote: »
    I love some wine! It's helped pack on some of the 10lbs I gained back after losing 45lbs the last year, I took on a challange with a friend of mine of no drinking until march, if either of us crack, we owe the other person $50 + a bottle of wine....it's been 3 days I'm really missing it.I bought a bottle of sparkling cider to drink from my wine glasses. .lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cider generally the same amount of calories as a glass of wine if not more? (Consider: 6oz glass of red wine at ~150cal and a pint of cider ~250cal)

I suppose if you're talking amount to calorie ratio, but I tend to think in standard serving sizes.
  • bexw26
    bexw26 Posts: 7
    Options
    kateyk0128 wrote: »
    Yesss, any alcohol really. I'm almost 36 and most my fat is alcohol and chocolate. I am coming to the realization that I need to give it up completely.. well, maybe not completely...

My thoughts exactly! I'm not ditching the wine for anything!
  • nm82baby
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    -I almost never open a bottle in the house - It would be awful to waste a perfectly good bottle of wine so I feel compelled to drink the entire bottle (not necessarily in one night ;) !
    -I don't restrict completely and allow for a date night once a week to go out and have a glass.
    -I run. Running, especially long distances, gives me enough burned calories to allow for some flexible enjoyment. Running has also become great stress relief. On those days when I'm stressed from work and really wanting to indulge in a glass of wine, I run. I tell myself that I can go ahead and have that extra glass, but first I have to run. Often by the time I'm finished running, I don't want the wine.

You don't have to give up anything completely. You just have to figure out how to manage it in moderation.

Great advice. Thank you! Maybe I'll try getting on the treadmill before having wine as a new requirement!

• nm82baby
    Options
    Nitole888 wrote: »

Good luck! That's a great idea (just not sure I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is)!

• TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wine can be a motivator if you are willing to work for it. Like work out for it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I replace wine with hot herbal tea at night to wind down. I save the wine for special occasions or weekends, and try not to have any during the week. It just makes weekday mornings so much easier to handle that way! Better for the waistline and wallet, too:)