Super Hungry after workouts

kenjacks
kenjacks Posts: 13
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
After I workout, lifting or cardio, I'm "teenage boy" hungry! :-) It's like I can't get enough to eat. Is this normal? If so, what are good, post workout foods that can curb this hungry? All of your support is greatly appreciated. God Bless!

Replies

• Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Eat a Banana, they are loaded with good stuff and will help get your energy back. At least that's what the british lady on my C25K podcast says ;)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    banana is a good idea, also a protein/recovery shake
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Try Endurox R4 for a recovery drink, it will help replace your carbs and protiens. If still hungry eat a PURE protien baror depending on how many calories burned eat a BIG COLLASSAL (cookie crunch is my fav)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I usually have a protein shake but I add a whole banana into the mix. It curbs my hunger for a couple of hours! :smile:
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    You usually have to eat back whatever calories you burn so I guess it is normal. Try to eat protein after working out. Cheese, chicken breast with salad, yogurt, cottage cheese with fruits. I am not sure how many calories you eat a day, but you might eat under your calorie needs.

Check out also this website:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • I find if I eat carbs before my workout (for energy) and have a good carb/protein after work-out snack, I can avoid being ravenous.

I like peanut butter and banana on bread or mini pitas (post workout), or a good spinach and chicken salad with a tbsp of vinaigrette dressing.

I also drink a TON of water during and post workout. I think it helps.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Haha yeah this is normal. I get like that too. Dont worry!

I found this helpful:http://www.diet-blog.com/07/yes_exercise_does_make_you_hungry.php

Yes, Exercise Does Make You Hungry
    By Jim F. in Exercise

Many people believe that exercising leaves you feeling hungry. Some take it further claiming that you end up eating more - thus negating any calorie deficit from the exercise.

So what is the truth?

Researchers in the UK have concluded that exercise does indeed make you hungry - but the overall result will still give you a calorie deficit.

Scientists point out that in the past people believed intense exercise could lead to overeating, which would cancel out any potential effects on weight-loss. But the new study shows exercise may help alter people's appetite, aid in weight-loss, and prevent further weight gain.

The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends adults get at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous aerobic activity on most days of the week; hitting a maximum heart rate of 50% to 85%. If it's hard to find the time, the AHA suggests breaking up your exercise into two shorter sessions.

For the study, published in the Journal of Endocrinology, researchers put 12 volunteers - 6 men and 6 women - through the following steps:

Ate the same breakfast.
    Wait for an hour.
    One group did 60 minutes of stationary cycling (at 65% max heart rate). The other group did nothing.
    Wait for an hour.
    Everyone enjoyed an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The Results
    The exercising group consumed 913 Calories at the buffet. The non-exercising group ate 762 Calories. However, during exercise, the first group burned 492 Calories compared to 197 Calories.

The net result: the exercisers ultimately took in around 144 less Calories.

Note that during and immediately after exercise volunteers reported they felt less hungry - and the appetite suppressing hormones PYY, GLP-1 and PP were increased.

In addition to hormones, previous studies have shown appetite regulation is a complex process also involving the gastrointestinal tract and both the central and autonomic nervous systems.

According to the World Health Organization, exercise is essential for maintaining good health; reducing risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, depression, and colon and breast cancer.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    I'm usually a bit dehydrated after my workouts which makes me feel like I'm starving and I have found drinking alot of water right after helps that go away. Also protein shakes are very good for that too, they always make me feel full!
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    I'm like that particularly after a leg workout (Large muscle group).
    I always do a protein shake which fills me back up (water) and gives my muscles fast acting protein for recovery.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    After I workout, lifting or cardio, I'm "teenage boy" hungry! :-) It's like I can't get enough to eat. Is this normal? If so, what are good, post workout foods that can curb this hungry? All of your support is greatly appreciated. God Bless!

Crazy....I have the exact opposite problem........I'm almost never hungry after a workout....I still get some protein....nuts, peanut butter, protein shake, banana....
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Protein shake and some carbs.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    I'm always starving after I have a really good workout...I think it's pretty normal. I find if I don't exercise I'm okay but when I have really hard workouts I'm hungry more than normal.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    I love the "muscle milk" brand protein drinks! They are full of "good for you" things. Be sure to slam one of those just after. It is not counter productive either. Those are good calories your muscles need for repair.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    I have a protein shake right after I shower. Then I eat a lunch that has little to no protein; anything over 35g the body will "waste" and my shake has 25. I should have started off with the fact that I work out right before lunch so I can satisfy that hunger right away. And my lunch is always good stuff; fresh fruit, salad, yogurt, vegies, etc.
  • kenjacks
    kenjacks Posts: 13
    WOW, thanks for the great information!
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    I get really hungry too, my husband and I bought protein shakes to eat after our workouts :) and it helps
This discussion has been closed.