When Did You Start Lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is like planting trees. The best time to start is 20 years ago and the next best is today.

Look into "you are your own gym." Body weight exercise will get you farther than you might think. Once you build some confidence and strength it makes going to a gym easier. The gym I go to has all the freeweights I need and their regular price is $19/month. I went in and said I worked out somewhere else... they made it $8/month. So you may find that it is more affordable than you think.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights on and off since I first joined a gym. Eight months ago I starting lifting weekly 3 days/week. However, I plan on stopping again for the next 60 days until I finish doing Insanity Max 30. I don't think I can give Max 30 my full energy level if I'm doing weightlifting and Max 30 on the same day.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lifting will definitely gonna help you reach your goals. Calisthenics is a great place to start.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    JGonzo82 wrote: »
    Lifting will definitely gonna help you reach your goals. Calisthenics is a great place to start.

Ditto to this, and to the idea that the best time to start is now. Calisthenics is a nice way to ease into the concept of lifting and can be done cheaply and almost anywhere. There's all sorts of programs available for free on the web and various iOS apps (Android, too, I assume, but I have an iPhone).

I also agree with the people who recommend against using a scale as the main measurement of success - it's only part of the puzzle, and pictures and measurements give a much clearer picture.

Another way of measuring progress is body fat percentage. There's a free online tool at http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html that shows the results from several different methods of estimating body fat percentage. Since I have a 20 lb. range where I can be healthy, it's how I'm setting my goals now that I'm close to maintenance.