My under 250 cal breakfast

Options
Great Breakfast idea: 4 egg white omelet with 1/2 of a diced roma tomato and about 1/2 of an ounce of shredded colby jack cheese. I cook the omelet in about 1/4 Tbs of real butter and top it with 1/4 ounce of the shredded cheese (3/4oz in all) and some salt and pepper. It's delicious, keeps me full for hours and along with my coffee with 30mL of half and half comes in at about 230 calories (omelet only = 186 calories)

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why are you excluding the yolks? Thats where the most nutrition is held and it's very wasteful.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make one similar to that by following this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/02/tomato-mozzarella-egg-white-omelet.html

I'll have to try colby jack.

My under 250 cal breakfast is Overnight Oatmeal:

1/2 cup of Old Fashion Oats
    1/2 cup low-fat Yogurt
    1/2 cup of Milk (or 1/4 if you like the oatmeal a little thicker), I use 2%
    15grams of finely chopped 60% Bittersweet chocolate
    40grams of chopped cherries (fresh ones)
    2 tsp sugar (if you like it sweeter)
    A pinch of salt

Put everything in a sealable jar or bowl (I use mason jars). Mix well and seal. Set in fridge for at least 8 hours (I make mine after dinner).

In the morning you can top it with granola if you want. You can eat it cold right out of the fridge or warm it for a few seconds in the microwave.

With the ingredients that I use (the ones listed), it comes to 239 Calories. If you change out the milk type and fruit and chocolate, it will change the calories.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Why are you excluding the yolks? Thats where the most nutrition is held and it's very wasteful.

True. And they're good for your hair and nails! Vanity wins over calories for me.

• woggsybug
    woggsybug Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the over night oatmeal as well as the omelette ! I really like the yolks however. I think eggs get a bit of a bad rap.
  • Jagerin
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    My under 250 cal breakfast is Overnight Oatmeal:

1/2 cup of Old Fashion Oats
    1/2 cup low-fat Yogurt
    1/2 cup of Milk (or 1/4 if you like the oatmeal a little thicker), I use 2%
    15grams of finely chopped 60% Bittersweet chocolate
    40grams of chopped cherries (fresh ones)
    A pinch of salt
    woggsybug wrote: »
    I'm going to try the over night oatmeal as well as the omelette ! I really like the yolks however. I think eggs get a bit of a bad rap.

Correction on my measurements. If you follow that recipe, it's over 300 calories. I have different measurements for my recipes depending on what I need. This is the 239 recipe:

1/4 cup of Old Fashion Oats
    1/2 cup low-fat Yogurt
    1/4 cup of Milk, I use 2%
    10grams of finely chopped 60% Bittersweet chocolate
    25grams of chopped cherries (fresh ones)
    A pinch of salt

That is the 239 calorie recipe. Of course it will be different if you want different fruits or want to exclude the sugar or use a different type of milk.

Here's a bunch of different variations and recipes:

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

As for egg yolks...I personally don't use the yolks because I don't like the taste of them. I never have. Doesn't matter how they are cooked. I don't like the yolks. I save the yolks and use them for other things. My dog likes when I fry them up just a little bit and then mix them in her food. Or use them to make a yellow cake. Or make homemade pudding. Or make Alfredo. Or eggnog. Or Hollandaise. Egg yolks can also be used for facial skin treatments at home. Or a hair moisturiser. There are lots of reasons to save your yolks for other things.

Why use my eggs for one thing, when I could use them for two things? *shrugs* To each their own.
  • caffeineismyfriend
    Options
    I leave the yolks out because 4 whole eggs = 280 calories and a great deal of cholesterol whereas 4 egg whites = 68 calories, no cholesterol, and a great deal of protein. Plus, cooked egg yolks smell and taste like wet dog to me so I don't really miss them at all, lol.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I eat like 400 cals on average for breakfast. 188 calories is more like a light snack! Yolk up them eggs.
  • Jagerin
    Options
    Eating heavy in the morning makes me feel ill all day. And, again, I dislike egg yolks. They taste awful to me.

0.25 cup, Grape
    3.00 g, Tastings - Parmentino
    0.50 g(s), Spices - Basil, fresh
    0.50 oz., Mozerella Cheese Block
    0.50 tsp(s), Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2.40 oz, Egg Whites

114 Calories

Heat pan and when hot, add oil and tomatoes. Cook about a minute, no flipping or anything.

Add egg whites and move pan around to make sure they trap up all the tomatoes. Cook about another minute.

Top with cheeses and reduce heat to low. Cook till eggs are completely set. Plate and top with fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste, if desired.

It's like an egg pizza.