TDEE according to online calculators feels low

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been setting my calorie targets at a level higher than TDEE - 10%, and doing it according to what feels good to me instead. I have my net at 1600, but 2000 feels better.
-
I can't get my head around the low TDEE the calculators give me, using all formulas. For example: I put in my height and the weight I maintained for 4 years (124 lbs, up until recently). The calculators gave me a TDEE of 1874, with 4 days of exercise a week. Except, I ate at 2000-2400 for most of those four years (gained weight when I fell completely off the wagon after injuries, it was not the cumulative result of eating that amount.) I lost at 1800-2200.

Also, my weight was stable at 143 for the past year, with sedentary-light activity. I'm pretty sure that I must have been eating ~2400 before getting back on the wagon (because even though I'm eating a lot, I'm eating less than I was, at least a good filling snack's worth). The calculators, however, give me 1940 with 4 days of exercise for 143 lbs, and 1641 for sedentary (!!!!) - that's super low!

I don't think I can eat less than 2000, but I also can't do activity as intensely or long as I did in the past, so I'm trying to figure out where to peg it. I know the answer is, log and see what happens and eat less if not losing.

Does anyone else seem to have a higher TDEE than the calculators suggest?

Replies

• Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try IIFYM calculator :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I did!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Sorry, no that's a different one :) It is a little higher, and I think closer to reality :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Calculators can only work on generalities - and so TDEE may be higher or lower according to you. I can eat about 200 calories above what a calculator says and I figured that out by trying to find my TDEE. If you already have a calorie amount with which your body has been happily maintaining then THAT is your TDEE and no calculator will be able to tell you better.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Only a few possibilities: 1. Your TDEE really is higher than average; 2. You're eating more than you think; 3. Your activity and exercise is higher than the calculator assumes for your reported level. You can test #2 by careful measuring, if you're not. If you're confident your calories are right, you can sort of test #2 by upping your exercise and activity level in the calculator and see if your TDEE is then consistent with what you believe. But ultimately your TDEE is what it is; the scale doesn't lie.
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! Funnily enough I have just been looking at calculators this morning because of this. I stopped exercising (weights/running) back in Oct, so I tried using a combination of scooby and IIFYM TDEEs for sedentary/couch potato (which has certainly been the correct activity level since mid December!). They both have me 1480 or something which I felt was too low, so I set at 1580 as a compromise. I have consistently lost weight at 1580 calories a day - 4lb in 3 months in fact. Even this week when I really have been sedentary, I've lost 1lb. I don't want to lose any more weight so I am going to try 1700 per day - way over what the calculators say I need for my activity level.

I am 5ft 4 and 118 lb by the way.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    The older and shorter you are, the lower your tdee is.

My tdee is only 1732, with exercise set at 4 times per week.10% of that is 1553. The more weight I lose the lower my tdee goes and the less I can eat to lose.

It's just how it goes. I'm assuming you are shorter than average like me, thus the lower tdee.

If you want to eat more, try 10% of your tdee. Yes you'll lose at a slower rate, but you will be able to eat more.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

No this is not correct. TDEE has nothing to do with age or height! It's the amount of activity a person does, how much they are burning through exercise, neat activity etc. You could be 5 foot and be an extremely active 50 year old and have a high TDEE.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you know you lost at 1800-2200, then eat at this to lose. Calculators are just guesstimates, everyone is different and you often have to play with the numbers.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »

No this is not correct. TDEE has nothing to do with age or height! It's the amount of activity a person does, how much they are burning through exercise, neat activity etc. You could be 5 foot and be an extremely active 50 year old and have a high TDEE.

No, it is correct. As you age, you burn fewer calories for a given activity level. That's why age is an input into any TDEE calculator. They're not just curious.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

My tdee is only 1732, with exercise set at 4 times per week.10% of that is 1553. The more weight I lose the lower my tdee goes and the less I can eat to lose.

It's just how it goes. I'm assuming you are shorter than average like me, thus the lower tdee.

If you want to eat more, try 10% of your tdee. Yes you'll lose at a slower rate, but you will be able to eat more.

I think you might be confusing RMR with TDEE. If you eat at too high a defecit for too long then yes your rmr will drop.

When I started in August the first couple of months I was eating low 1800's to lose weight, then for the next couple of months I was able to eat low 1900's and kept on losing (with same activity level) The last few weeks my average has gone up even more to the high 1900's and I continue to lose! It's great how I can up my calories like the way i have been and keep losing. Most people usually lower their calories when they weigh less as they can't lose any other way. What this does is run your metabolism into the ground and then when you have lost all the weight you wanted to lose you will have to eat at a lower maintenance amount due to your rmr having been lowered.

To the OP, take those calculators with a grain of salt. For the next 4 weeks log everything strictly ensuring you measure etc and work out your TDEE that way, and then take a percentage cut off of that. The trick to losing is to be able to eat the most you can and still lose weight. It doesn't matter if you lose a little slower. You'll keep your metabolism firing and retain your muscle mass. You'll also have heaps of energy to work on fitness. You don't want to cut at too large a defecit as you'll have no where to go if you plateaue plus you'll fu&k up you rmr. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think you might be confusing RMR with TDEE. If you eat at too high a defecit for too long then yes your rmr will drop.

When I started in August the first couple of months I was eating low 1800's to lose weight, then for the next couple of months I was able to eat low 1900's and kept on losing (with same activity level) The last few weeks my average has gone up even more to the high 1900's and I continue to lose! It's great how I can up my calories like the way i have been and keep losing. Most people usually lower their calories when they weigh less as they can't lose any other way. What this does is run your metabolism into the ground and then when you have lost all the weight you wanted to lose you will have to eat at a lower maintenance amount due to your rmr having been lowered.

To the OP, take those calculators with a grain of salt. For the next 4 weeks log everything strictly ensuring you measure etc and work out your TDEE that way, and then take a percentage cut off of that. The trick to losing is to be able to eat the most you can and still lose weight. It doesn't matter if you lose a little slower. You'll keep your metabolism firing and retain your muscle mass. You'll also have heaps of energy to work on fitness. You don't want to cut at too large a defecit as you'll have no where to go if you plateaue plus you'll fu&k up you rmr. :smile:

No, if she's older and short that's not BMR or RMR, and it's probably a basic estimate, nothing to do with under-eating. I'm 5'3 and 45, and with 4 days of exercise on the IIFYM site I get BMR of 1205, TDEE of 1710 with Mifflin-St Jeor and (using an estimated BF) 1289 and 1829 with Katch-McCardle.

For me, though, that's low, as I do more than 4 days of exercise per week and--perhaps to go to the OP's point--lose at a rate higher than the calculators at IIFYM suggest (or did until I got derailed by the holidays), which I think is because they don't do a good job of adjusting for exercise length or intensity. I workout 5-6 days per week, but often quite intensely or for longer periods of time (training runs for a half marathon), so lost beyond what the predicted 2000 TDEE would indicate.

OP, the calculators are just estimates, so if you think a particular number is appropriate try it and then adjust down if you aren't losing as hoped. Ultimately you should be able to ignore the calculators and calculate your own TDEE from your numbers and results.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's both. TDEE is BMR plus activity, but BMR is lower if you are smaller or have less muscle mass, which affects TDEE, and being smaller means that activity burns fewer calories, all else equal. You can still make up for that if you increase activity, but it's still true that with the same activity level a smaller person (and older, because on average older people have less muscle mass, although you can correct for that if you work at preserving it) will have lower TDEEs.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Right....they just ask you to enter that stuff in because it has nothing to do with the algorithms it uses to calculate TDEE. Age and height do affect TDEE. On days I only get up to use the bathroom my fitbit estimates about 1900-2000 calorie burn and the calculator estimates 2100 for my TDEE, so I would say the are decently close. I have tested them both against my treadmill, motoactv and polar hrm simultaneously. The motoactv is inaccurate. The algorithms it uses are only based on activities you put in, not on heart rate or accelerometer readings. I would say try eating around 2000 for a while and see how you body responds, then drop calories by 100 each week and add in a little bit of walking. I seem to loose weight eating what is supposed to be my TDEE maintenance amount.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's just an estimate. If you have more muscle mass, you'll burn more. From what I've seen in the last few months, my TDEE is a bit higher than what the calculators tell me, but not by a lot (100ish).

Or you could be overestimating how much you eat or underestimating your activity level too.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »

Right....they just ask you to enter that stuff in because it has nothing to do with the algorithms it uses to calculate TDEE. Age and height do affect TDEE. On days I only get up to use the bathroom my fitbit estimates about 1900-2000 calorie burn and the calculator estimates 2100 for my TDEE, so I would say the are decently close. I have tested them both against my treadmill, motoactv and polar hrm simultaneously. The motoactv is inaccurate. The algorithms it uses are only based on activities you put in, not on heart rate or accelerometer readings. I would say try eating around 2000 for a while and see how you body responds, then drop calories by 100 each week and add in a little bit of walking. I seem to loose weight eating what is supposed to be my TDEE maintenance amount.

Height and age really don't affect one's TDEE by a significant amount. Being very young means having higher energy needs than someone middle aged, and when you're an older adult you might not need to eat as much as someone middle aged. But this mostly has to do with muscle mass, overall weight, and overall activity level. I've entered in my stats before and changed my height and age and the only time it affected the results were when I put myself as under 5' tall (I think? or it didn't affect it at all) or when I said I was under 18.

So on average, when much older and much shorter (shortness would likely also mean an overall lower body weight), there may be lower energy needs. But there also may not be. Overall activity levels and muscle mass will be far more important in determining one's energy needs than will be age or height.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You don't have to keep decreasing your calories to lose weight. I used to eat 1500 calories to lose weight and now I eat 2200-2500 to lose it. I've increased it slowly over-time. I lost 90lbs from pregnancy and then upped my cals slowly. I expected to start gaining weight but I actually kept losing it. As long as I pound myself into the ground with lifting heavy at the gym 5-6 days per week I still drop body fat and increase my strength. It's a very slow process now, but I'm at that point where most people would be maintaining anyway. I can't cut calories because I get sick and my workouts start to suck. So I've just decided to listen to my body and eat more if I'm hungry...and that allows me to really get in a better workout.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Great thoughts everyone - thank you!

I don't know why I'm burning higher, if I am, because I don't currently have a lot of muscle mass. I think my calorie/portion measurements are reasonably accurate. Individual differences, I guess. (I'm 5'7 for whatever that's worth. Also, I punched in my age now and the age from 4 years ago - the difference was 40-50 calories.)

Anyway - I'll follow the advice to figure out my actual TDEE and then try to cut by 100-200 ish, and will see what happens.

Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, 42 and 140lbs. The average tdee I get is 1300ish calories. It's depressing :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just used the IIFYM calculator, and it said 1600 calories. A bit better than the 1300's