Advice for hubby

Options
Hello MFP!

My hubby has recently over the past 3 months or so started working out.

According to the MFP BMI calculator he is right in the middle of a healthy weight for his age, so obviously, doesn't need to lose any.

However he does have a paunch/muffin top developing.... The last year he has moved from a manual job to a desk job. I have explained that you can't target a specific area.

He lifts weights, does pushups, sit ups, squats, planks and short bursts on my step.

He was wondering what else he could do to firm up and as I feel I'm still learning I figured to get advice from you guys.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your husband on working out. I have found that even though I now have a standing desk, I still need to guard against bad posture. I have found that barre helps more than anything on my core/etc. Twists seem to help the most.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Have him join MFP. There are a lot of guys he can get information from that maybe he'll pay more attention to than you - not that you are incorrect. ;-)
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The change from an active job to a sedentary one would mean he doesn't need as many calories as he did before, so that would be the first thing to look at.

Easy and effective exercises to add would include getting a jump rope. He should also consider adding burpees to his routine. He could do his exercises as part of a timed circuit to add intensity.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if he has been developing a paunch, he's been eating more than he thought. maybe he should get his own MFP account. he should try eating less, keep doing strength training, and get some cardio in. slow zone 2 cardio really helps burn some fat.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cap'n, that's not necessarily true.

It's the same with my husband as it is with Stargazer's, and I've seen that genetic pattern across his family. They all put on weight in the belly. My husband, for instance, is only about two pounds overweight, which is exactly where I'm at. Yet I'm a "pear" (and became a pear almost immediately when I started to lose weight, even when I was still about 18 pounds overweight) and he's got that blasted belly. His sister is my height and my weight, and is pretty toned, but she still has a belly.

I know there are ethnic components ... for instance, people of South Asian/Indian ethnicity (like my husband) tend to put on weight in the belly and resist losing it. I suspect that's true on a micro level too (e.g. not ethnic groups but just individual family genetics).

Anyway, it's REALLY frustrating. In my husband's case, he does do some cardio and strength training, and I know exactly what he eats (which is what I eat, except for lunch, when he has veggies and lentils at the office.) He does not eat grains or drink beer and isn't a snacker. Yet, any weight at all goes straight to the belly! And I bet that's true of a lot of folks. It's the genetic luck of the draw.

I've always heard you can't "spot reduce." But I dunno ... maybe you can. When you say "slow zone 2 cardio," what do you mean, exactly? Details and suggestions for particular exercises or gym equipment would be really helpful!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I've always heard you can't "spot reduce." But I dunno ... maybe you can.
    Nope

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    It's genetic where fat deposits on a person. And if it wasn't this way before, then it means the current intake is more than he needs. Couple of ways to combat this. Either eat less or increase physical activity or a combination of both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is my personal secret to lose inches, so don't laugh. When you walk, if you wrap your troubled areas with saran wrap (several times) you will lose more inches and melt more fat faster. I went from a size 24 to a size 8 in 7 months using this method.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is my personal secret to lose inches, so don't laugh. When you walk, if you wrap your troubled areas with saran wrap (several times) you will lose more inches and melt more fat faster. I went from a size 24 to a size 8 in 7 months using this method.

No.

Congrats on losing the weight, but you would have seen the same result without the saran wrap.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Exercise only helps that deficit, no matter what "tricks" you use.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Cap'n, that's not necessarily true.

It's the same with my husband as it is with Stargazer's, and I've seen that genetic pattern across his family. They all put on weight in the belly. My husband, for instance, is only about two pounds overweight, which is exactly where I'm at. Yet I'm a "pear" (and became a pear almost immediately when I started to lose weight, even when I was still about 18 pounds overweight) and he's got that blasted belly. His sister is my height and my weight, and is pretty toned, but she still has a belly.

I know there are ethnic components ... for instance, people of South Asian/Indian ethnicity (like my husband) tend to put on weight in the belly and resist losing it. I suspect that's true on a micro level too (e.g. not ethnic groups but just individual family genetics).

Anyway, it's REALLY frustrating. In my husband's case, he does do some cardio and strength training, and I know exactly what he eats (which is what I eat, except for lunch, when he has veggies and lentils at the office.) He does not eat grains or drink beer and isn't a snacker. Yet, any weight at all goes straight to the belly! And I bet that's true of a lot of folks. It's the genetic luck of the draw.

I've always heard you can't "spot reduce." But I dunno ... maybe you can. When you say "slow zone 2 cardio," what do you mean, exactly? Details and suggestions for particular exercises or gym equipment would be really helpful!

"slow zone 2 cardio" means cardiovascular exercise, done slowly, staying in zone 2 heart rate.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can be at a healthy BMI but still look bad. If he wants to "firm" up, he needs to lose weight or do a body recomp.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    According to the MFP BMI calculator he is right in the middle of a healthy weight for his age, so obviously, doesn't need to lose any.
    However he does have a paunch/muffin top developing.... The last year he has moved from a manual job to a desk job.

Sounds like he is what's called "skinny fat". That's usually from a lack of doing heavy strength training, which leads to a loss of muscle and a drop in metabolism. Make sure he's following a professionally-designed strength program, instead of doing his own thing. Popular programs here include NROL and Stronglifts.. or he can work with a good personal trainer.

• alphabear_
    alphabear_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get on a real program like Starting Strength, Sheiko #29, or Candito's Linar Program. Eat at 300-500 cals below TDEE.
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! :)
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    In order to look leaner he needs to lower his body fat %

BMI is only taking into account total weight and height. It isn't taking into account the composition of that weight (how much of it is fat vs muscle vs everything else). Body fat % is a much better indicator of general health imo.

You can lower your body fat % by building muscle, or losing fat.