Golf exercises

Options
Golf is my sport when there is not snow on the ground. Does anyone have any exercises they do specifically for the sport. I would like to add to my existing routine to help me become more fit for golf.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is going to help you become more fit in general.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Any exercise is going to help you become more fit in general.

umm, ya
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I would like to add to my existing routine to help me become more fit for golf.

What is your existing routine?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I would like to add to my existing routine to help me become more fit for golf.

What is your existing routine?

2 day split 1st day chest, shoulders back, 2nd day, arms legs, abs both days. Nothing golf specific although I have a life fitness dual pulley machine at home and I imagine I could add some golf specific exercises if i knew what they were
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pulley machines are tricky for golf-specific moves, since they only work a portion of the rotation.. plus the speed is different, so your adaptations will be different. The best exercise is to swing a real club, but if you don't have space for that, try swinging an end-weighted handle, like a small baseball bat with a light batting donut. Or make your own training club like this guy did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF-gmtQ7MLU
    The closer you can match the feel of swinging your own clubs, the better your adaptations will be.
  • 64Brucey
    64Brucey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am keen golfer also and reading an article on Rory Mc and Darren Clarke fitness regimes both have concentrated on core strength and weight training. Both seem to use yoga type stretching and combined with weight work for both lower body (strengthen the stance) and core. Squats, lunges and sit ups.