substitute for bread

Options
Hi I've a bad habit of eating toast a lot I'm looking for something to have instead bread and that's healthier.. The white bread is killing me and I've tried brown but looking to know if there is a healthier and tastier named brownbread that I could have instead.
Thanks again

Replies

• shelleydavies1991
    shelleydavies1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Warburtons thins have you tried those? They are 100 cals for 2 slices. They are really thin but help my toast craving! x
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with bread, white or brown. It's literally not killing you.
    I don't substitute bread. I do, however, enjoy a lower calorie bread. Sara Lee has a 45 calorie/slice bread. I personally get Arnold Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain bread which is 40 calories/ slice.

Again, bread is not bad for you (unless you have gluten/allergy sensitivity).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Look at the packages. Brown bread is not necessarily healthier, but whole grains have more fiber, which will keep you full longer. Other than that, there's really nothing wrong about bread, except it's not very filling for the calories. I mostly eat low carb/high fiber/high protein wraps nowadays.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    White bread isn't killing you, I don't see how it can. I wouldn't even call it 'unhealthy', everything is unhealthy in surplus.

Just eat the damn bread.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lee 45 is always good, but honestly as long as it fits in your macros there is nothing wrong with bread. I always try to stick with whole grain or multi grain, but that's just personal preference. I'm a bread lover so I am on the strong "bread has no substitute" side.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you like your toast and want a healthier one, try a few. Look for short ingredient lists that start with whole grains and don't include unnecessary ingredients.
    I prefer sprouted grain breads myself.
  • Running_down_a_dream
    Options
    There are lots of bread choices. If its the carbs you could try and make form of the paleo breads. I try to make all my foods, That way I know whats in it.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love Ezekiel bread. It's made with sprouted grains and is greater toasted with almond butter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    I love Ezekiel bread. It's made with sprouted grains and is greater toasted with almond butter.
    I love it too. My local market also has their own brand of sprouted bread that's quite good too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is bad about toast? Two slices of bread is anywhere from 150 to 200 calories….

white bread is not killing you …
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Costco has some really good options. I recently tried Dave's killer 21 grain bread. It's really nice!

Edited to add: Doubtful that bread, even white bread, is killing you. Unless you are gluten intolerant/celiac or diabetic and consuming far too much of it.
  • Mango08
    Mango08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to read the book Wheat Belly and one statement really caught my eye. If anyone has read this book, I'd be interested if you read and applied and whether you had any success. Here is the paraphrase of the statement that caught my eye:

From Wheat Belly - Chapter 1:

"people who stopped eating wheat also stopped experiencing a whole lot of other problems such as: acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, higher energy, greater focus and deeper sleep. Rheumatoid arthritis pain improved or disappeared reducing medicine dependency. Asthma symptoms improved or resolved completely. Athletes reported more consistent performance.

Thinner. More energetic. Clearer thinking. Better bowel, joint and lung health time and time again. "

I am going to first reduce my wheat and then work towards elimination in the next 6 months to see for myself whether I see a difference .... fully understanding that what works for one person may not work for the next.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Mango08 wrote: »
    I am just starting to read the book Wheat Belly and one statement really caught my eye. If anyone has read this book, I'd be interested if you read and applied and whether you had any success. Here is the paraphrase of the statement that caught my eye:

From Wheat Belly - Chapter 1:

"people who stopped eating wheat also stopped experiencing a whole lot of other problems such as: acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, higher energy, greater focus and deeper sleep. Rheumatoid arthritis pain improved or disappeared reducing medicine dependency. Asthma symptoms improved or resolved completely. Athletes reported more consistent performance.

Thinner. More energetic. Clearer thinking. Better bowel, joint and lung health time and time again. "

I am going to first reduce my wheat and then work towards elimination in the next 6 months to see for myself whether I see a difference .... fully understanding that what works for one person may not work for the next.

wheat is also the cause of all the world wars too …

just an FYI ..

In all seriousness there is no need to eliminate wheat unless one has some kind of medical condition that would make it necessary to do so.

I am sure a distance runner would be interested as to why cutting wheat/carbs would assist in their performance as they run 20+ miles…..
  • jams0411
    jams0411 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    <3 bread!! my opinion is that a substitution it's not the answer at all, it's just gonna gives more anxiety and you are gonna crave it more , you are just going to make it fit your daily calories and that's it, moderation it's what they call it.

i was the same as you but that was something that from the beginning i wanted to control, my bread consumption so i started with one day i would eat and one day i would skip it and now i can go days with out it but again that was my personal preference , you don't have to do it.

bread it's not the problem, the over consumption in your whole diet becomes the problem
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to try that sara lee 45. Fewer calories in the bread means i can use more peanut butter and bananas on top !!! yummm
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I f you just prefer the taste of white bread, there are several brands of "white wheat" bread that have the taste and similar texture of white bread. Just read labels, some will have more fiber or fewer calories than others. Another substitute could be sandwich thins, bagel thins, or corn tortillas. Thins are usually 90-100 calories and corn tortillas around 50 calories each.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i enjoy bread, there is no reason to take it out of your diet completely, but sometimes i will substitute bread for lettuce. like when making sandwiches, i will make them into salad wraps instead. but when i want bread- i eat bread. if you try to cut it out completely you will be left feeling unsatisfied. bread is alright to eat, if your eating 1-2 slices per day, it prob will not even effect you.
    -
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't just focus on the calories in bread. Look at the ingredients. I'm all about quality over quantity. Those low calorie breads aren't made with the best ingredients. Others have mentioned Ezekial bread. Great bread. Try others. Read labels.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you try to cut it out completely you will be left feeling unsatisfied. bread is alright to eat, if your eating

I disagree. I don't really eat bread and I don't feel unsatisfied. I also don't crave sweets and more carbs when I don't eat bread.