diabetes

Options
I am boarderline diabetic and was wondering if anyone else is? I am looking to lose weight and get my glucose numbers down in 4months

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why the timeline?
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am not borderline but was diagnosed with type 2 4 months ago. I am on medication and also making huge changes to my eating to get my sugars in check. It can be done!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a type 1 diabetic diagnosed about a year ago. With fine-tuned medication dosages (insulin-only), regular exercise, and a reduction of my carbs to less than 150g, I've been able to keep my A1C below 6% for the past nine months.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why the timeline?
    Getting the bgl under control quickly is important for those with pre-diabetes.

I assume the timeline coincides with the next doctors visit.
  • ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed over 10 years ago. I manage my blood glucose with diet, regular exercise (weight training and cardio), and medication, but I do not currently use insulin. I've been uncontrolled and I've had good control of my BG, and life is definitely better with good control. :)

My food diary and my glucose meter are the two tools that have helped me the most in getting good control. By knowing how specific foods affect my blood glucose, I can adjust my diet to limit the foods that raise my numbers the most. Exercise has allowed me to eat some of those foods that used to spike me. It's a learning process.

You've taken a good first step. Be kind to yourself, and if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask.
  • tgreenfit
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your info I need all of it I can get it is a scary thing to deal with I had gestational diabetes while pregnant and now boarderline so my doctor is giving me 4 months to diet and exercise then retest and I pray no meds will be needed.
  • tgreenfit
    Options
    Why the timeline?

My doctor is testing my glucose again and if high I will be put on meds
  • tgreenfit
    Options
    I am not borderline but was diagnosed with type 2 4 months ago. I am on medication and also making huge changes to my eating to get my sugars in check. It can be done!

Good to know!
  • tgreenfit
    Options
    Y
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Why the timeline?

Yes next doctors appointment
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Why the timeline?

That's how it was with me. Ideal? No, but it kept me from becoming a diabetic. It's definitely possible if you're diligent and really focused. Log everything you're eating and drinking and your exercises and you'll see results.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My husband is diabetic too. He keeps his numbers down by walking two miles every day. It really works. Of course he watches what he eats too - but the best thing is exercise!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tgreenfit wrote: »
    Why the timeline?

My doctor is testing my glucose again and if high I will be put on meds

Can you ask for a referral to a dietitian? If your MD is that concerned they should be more than happy to give you the referral vs putting you on medication.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    check out the Groups! I believe there is one for diabetics. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I am pre-TII. I control my blood sugar by limiting my carbs per sitting. I am able to do this by keeping things to 30g max carbs per meal. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    tgreenfit wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your info I need all of it I can get it is a scary thing to deal with I had gestational diabetes while pregnant and now boarderline so my doctor is giving me 4 months to diet and exercise then retest and I pray no meds will be needed.

I too hope you get your levels managed without meds and many report here of doing so.

For others I read this past week where some research indicates gestational diabetes can be a sign that Type 2 diabetes may develop in the future.

Below is a link about fish oil protecting from developing high blood pressure and diabetes Type 2 in some people based on some older research. As the article warns for people under the doctors care with health issues should never self treat using over the counter products without letting the doctors know first so they can advise.

multivitaminguide.org/blog/fish-oil-lower-blood-sugar-reduce-risk-diabetes/

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is is one food plan to lower carbs. You can make your own adjustments:

Limit this: bread, pasta, pizza, rice, corn, potatoes, cereal, fruit, popcorn.

Eat this: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, beans, seeds.

Eat lots of frozen, fresh, or canned veggies: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts. cucumbers, green beans

Remember to eat some oils and fats.