wake up call

Options
Lately none of my clothes have fit me other than some tee shirts of my husbands and some gym shorts. I guess I should have let that be my wake up call, but no it took being in the dressing room as the lady helping me had to keep going back for larger sizes. I was the biggest size the store had. That had never happened to me I cried on the way home. I did this to myself. I feel terrible. I also know that this experience will help keep me on track. What was your oh crap moment?

Replies

• floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The scale at a Publix...i got on it and it said i was in the 290's. I went back to the checkout and said to my wife that their scale was screwed up...got home and got on ours gathering dust oh oh!....nothing wrong with their scales.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was living in sweats and refused to buy larger clothes. I'm a tightwad that way, I hate to spend money, I was not going to spend it on being fatter.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Its easy to not see how much you are gaining huh
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    They call it a wake up call for a reason. No matter how terrible you felt that can't come close to how great you feel once you start motivating yourself and hitting your goals.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain my weight all at once.. but somehow the size I was gradually moving up into was my line in the sand, a size I was not willing to identify myself with.. like the size below was somehow much more acceptable. But neveragain84 is right.. It sucked and was very hard to begin chasing those goals, but once they began falling to me like dominoes, I was on a high like I've never known. Nothing feels better than that. I still, four years later, appreciate every day, I love being fit, I love at 42 years old to be able to outrun, outclimb, outfight, outswim most MEN my age, let alone women. Not that I'm in competition with them, not that I'm better than anyone. I'm dumbfounded that I reached this and now it is my life. I'm still in awe that I can do these things, because the fact of the matter is, I'm no one special.. just a middle aged mom who gained a bunch of weight and went soft over decades. If I can do it, absolutely anyone can.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Thanks for sharing very inspirational I am ready to hit those milestones I just need to put in the work
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my oh *kitten* moment was 12/31/14 newyears eve when i couldnt button up my fatpants which are a size 12
  • Kimmbberr
    Kimmbberr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went for my yearly physical and weighed 217 pounds and my diastolic blood pressure was 92. Heart attackville. I was terrified and honestly, finished out the rotten food I had in my house which took a couple of days and then started using MyFitnessPal. I had been doing really well until Christmas/New Year's and now am struggling to get back on track. I still have 45 pounds to lose.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Holidays are hard to get through all that relishes food!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A physical too. I knew I was obese, but I was in denial and thought I could just maintain my 200 pounds by eating whatever I wanted (as I had maintained that weight for 5 years)... I mean, 200 was bad, but it could be worse, and it seemed better than having to starve myself and never eat what I love again... except the scale showed 213 pounds. Then the doctor did an EKG because 'I was at significant risk for heart problems with my weight'. That was a big wake up call.

It still took me a month afterwards to be mentally ready for it though - I wanted to enjoy the Holidays because I knew I would have to lose weight soon, and I managed to make myself sick of food from eating too much, so in a way it was easier to lose weight after that... The funny thing is I still lost 5 pounds during that month, but I'm thinking that the 213 were due to the round of steroids I had the week before my physical (I had an asthma attack).

It was still a HUGE relief to find out that I didn't have to cut any food to lose weight after all. Probably the reason I actually managed to stick with it for 2 years (in 10 days!).
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    You have a great story! You look amazing too!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mine was going on a business trip with my normal weight boss in 2008 and getting really winded on stairs at the train station and having pain in my lower legs. I knew I weighed around 300 (my heaviest) but I was so used to always having been the heaviest girl/woman around, since my teens, and until that day I had NEVER had any trouble keeping up with normal size women physically, whether in everyday activities or even gym class/casual sports. It was a huge wake up call for me that my gradual gains had gotten WAY out of hand and I started exercising and losing weight the same month.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost down to 150-155 (im 5`9)and maintained it till 2010 when I started dating my fiance. I gained up to 170 and was so disappointed in myself that I got back on track and altho I only reached 160, I maintained it well....THEN THERE WAS NURSING SCHOOL.. I've fluctuated between 165-180 from the first few weeks.. But in December I stepped on a scale during clinical and it read 194! ..I knew my clothes didn't fit, but I was living in Scrubs or pajamas.. The yard clothes were stretch shorts and sleeveless shirts. I knew they were getting tight, really tight.. But I was in denial.
  • NourishtoFlourish
    Options
    My wake up call came about a month after I couldn't fit in any of my clothes. Oops.
    my oh *kitten* moment was 12/31/14 newyears eve when i couldnt button up my fatpants which are a size 12

Are you in the UK? If so, since when was a size 12 fat?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I started having numbness and stabbing pains in my thigh. I ignored it until I saw a tv ad for a drug for diabetic nerve pain that sounded exactly like what I was experiencing. Scared the hell out of me and I went to my doctor. He explained that it wasn't diabetes, just that my weight and tight clothes were impinging on a nerve. I decided it was time to do something.
  • ljs385
    ljs385 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Are you in the UK? If so, since when was a size 12 fat? [/quote]

I suspect the poster is American as she writes the date in month/day/year, if so then a us 12 is a uk 16.

My moment, was more like a series of mini moments - buying size 16 tops for Christmas parties, seeing the photos, hating to look in the mirror, all combined until I finally gave myself a kick up the bum :)
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few heavy women where I work and three of them have had knee surgeries and are in constant pain. At that point, I imagine, it is almost impossible to exercise. I decided I did not want to be in my 60s and really overweight and, if I wanted to do something, I had to do something about it right now while I still have some energy and am healthy enough to really exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I started having numbness and stabbing pains in my thigh. I ignored it until I saw a tv ad for a drug for diabetic nerve pain that sounded exactly like what I was experiencing. Scared the hell out of me and I went to my doctor. He explained that it wasn't diabetes, just that my weight and tight clothes were impinging on a nerve. I decided it was time to do something.

On a similar note, I thought something was wrong with me because I couldn't breathe when I bent over. It never even occurred to me that it could be because I had too much fat and it compressed my lungs when I did... Scary stuff.
  • issyjmc
    issyjmc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and I had some blood work done. My triglycerides were so high that they could not accurately calculate my total cholesterol. I joined MFP and started running. I started at 211 pounds and lost 50 pounds. Since starting our adoption journey a year ago and having 2 fall apart on us since August, I have gained back about 30 pounds. But I am still running and buckling back down about calories and stress eating. I don't want to go back to that place.
  • issyjmc
    issyjmc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My other big moment was when my 250ish pound, 83yo grandmother was nearing the end of her life. She struggled with mobility, and one day she fell and got herself stuck between the toilet and the wall. It was a major ordeal to get her out because no one could lift her. Once they got her out, there was a lot of talk about getting her a hoist. Watching her have to depend so much on others and seeing how much effort and money it would take just to care for made me realize that I did not want to ever be in that situation. She was never a burden to us, but I know that she felt like she was, and I know that she was embarrassed about it.