Advice on friend support

Options
I wonder what works best for anyone regarding "friends." I had several friend requests and found it to be very impersonal. Just lots of "way to go" or "you'll do better." I found the "friend" posts not very motivating.
Does pairing up with one or two similar pals work better for anyone. Would love input.

I'm 53 female. Artist/teacher/gardener. Less active due to herniated discs and surgeries, but still love walking, gardening, traveling and art projects. my sugar levels are borderline high and I need to lose 50 lbs. looking to set short term goals of 5-10 lbs at a time.

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I found this at first too, but enjoyed it more after awhile. I find it motivating to see the same people continuing to cheer you on, day after day, week after week. At first it seems impersonal because you don't really know these people and there's a disconnect there. But after awhile you get to know them and you look forward to those 'attaboys'. Hope that helps :)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My take on it is that if you write detail about what's going on, you will get more meaningful feedback. And if you do the same on other peoples comments you can have some discussion. I also find the way to go type comment uninteresting but i just click like anyway since they've made the effort, and focus on those that are talking. That said, i don't mind if people just do the like thing. In some way its nice that so many people are reading what you are doing and making that effort. I tend only to respond to comments and don't "like" the little things like a computer generated report on their exercise or food diary.

What i suggest you do is write pm's to people if you think they might have any useful input to give or want to ask for advice. Although most people here seem to be too busy to do much pm'ing as well. But its better than this forum which can elicit a lot of irrelevant responses as well unhelpful argument and so on.

Certainly if i get a friend who i decided i don't much care for, i delete them. I don't delete people for being innocuous. Just people who say nasty things or have a style of speech that bothers me.

If you want to befriend me, feel free. And you can pm me any time. I'm got some similar interests to you and i'm 51. I am not diabetic though.
  • Owlgal06
    Options
    Thank you all. I suppose I was impatient! Or wanting to be too personal. I will take advice from both very sensible. Happy new year,