protein powders &preworkout

Options
tmgarner3
tmgarner3 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
What's your thoughts on protein powders and preworkout powders? How much protein should you drink per day? When is the best time of day should drink them? What is quickest safest way to lose 10 pounds?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you want/need them to supplement your dietary needs then that's fine. Store-bought pre-workouts are a rip-off though; better to just DIY it with individual ingredients or to just take some caffeine beforehand. Or some sugar. Something for energy if needed.
  • tmgarner3
    Options
    I would like to take caffeine completely out of my diet. I heard that drinking a protein drink first thing in the morning and right after working out is the best. Ideas/comments?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think this "eat this before and that after" stuff is excessive and not necessary. But I also think that unless you're taking weird supplements that you don't need, it doesn't matter very much either way and won't hurt you, so why not?

Personally, I don't trust the protein powders. I don't know who is making them, so I don't know if they're really putting in all that protein or even what kind of protein it is. I also don't trust them to keep things out that should be kept out. So, I don't take it.

I seriously doubt that it's harmful, but I err on the side of caution and get my protein from food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tmgarner3 wrote: »
    I would like to take caffeine completely out of my diet. I heard that drinking a protein drink first thing in the morning and right after working out is the best. Ideas/comments?

For the normal person that is the gym an hour a day it is totally unnecessary.

meal/protein/nutrient timing is only important for athletes and bodybuilders, and even then the affect may be minimal.

If you want to lose ten pounds …set MFP to .5 poun per week loss..get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything; set macros to 35 protein, 35 carbs, 30 fats < percents, and continue doing your workouts until you reach desired results.

• etuntland
    etuntland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been weight training for going on a year now in addition to being an overload college student. (Relevant, promise.) I started using creatine powder as a preworkout with the start of my last semester - it made a huge difference in coming to my workouts energized and focused after 10+ hours on campus. Main thing- use it for no more than 3 weeks at a time with a break week and a longer period of rest every couple months. Your body will accommodate to it after a while and it will lose some of its effectiveness. Using periodic breaks helps delay that process a little bit. I use protein when trying to gain mass with my workouts - whey isolates only as I'm lactose intolerant. I've had good results from those as well. :) it helps get protein in when I can't afford to get as much in my normal diet as I want.
    Additionally my SO was using thermogenics when he got transferred to his new unit this summer and had awesome results from them while he used them.
    Hope this helps a little!
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is beneficial even if you're not a hardcore athlete or bodybuilder. If you're trying to lose fat whey protein will help you stay on diet because it helps to blunt hunger. First thing in the morning and post workout are fairly universally accepted everywhere (except on MFP).

Also absolutely no need to cycle creatine, I've been using daily for about 7yrs. It will not lose it's effectiveness with continued use. In simple terms it is a source to replenish ATP, the energy system your muscles use for short bursts of power such as weightlifting. It has other health benefits as well, a quick Google search would explain more.
  • etuntland
    etuntland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    Also absolutely no need to cycle creatine, I've been using daily for about 7yrs. It will not lose it's effectiveness with continued use. In simple terms it is a source to replenish ATP, the energy system your muscles use for short bursts of power such as weightlifting. It has other health benefits as well, a quick Google search would explain more.

Legitimate question because I'm still completely aware of my own ignorance and all of what I know is based off personal experience and limited research: If the body doesn't adapt to the increased use of preworkouts, then what creates the sensation that they don't work as well? I continually used creative 5-6 times a weeks for about 5 months before a mate of mine was utterly flabbergasted I hadn't taken a break. Took a two week break and came back to using it, and it seemed completely different than from before that. Some friends stopped taking them completely for an extended amount of time because they hadn't noticed a difference with or without them for a few months. Even if the physical side effects wear off is it still as effective?
    Thank you!

• ana3067
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tmgarner3 wrote: »

I have done this in the past, doesn't really make a difference. Protein/meal timing doesn't make a difference for me other than making sure I eat enough before working out. Although I do think that I benefit from drinking it during the workout. Then again, I think it's more so the bit of sugar in my protein powder that helps, and on a few occasions I have consumed caffeinated tea at the gym I have had more energy. There's really nothing terribly wrong with caffeine either, tea is a good way to try caffeine as a boost pre-workout if you'd like. I only have protein at/around the gym if I haven't eaten enough before working out and just need more sustenance.
  • ana3067
    Options
    etuntland wrote: »

Legitimate question because I'm still completely aware of my own ignorance and all of what I know is based off personal experience and limited research: If the body doesn't adapt to the increased use of preworkouts, then what creates the sensation that they don't work as well? I continually used creative 5-6 times a weeks for about 5 months before a mate of mine was utterly flabbergasted I hadn't taken a break. Took a two week break and came back to using it, and it seemed completely different than from before that. Some friends stopped taking them completely for an extended amount of time because they hadn't noticed a difference with or without them for a few months. Even if the physical side effects wear off is it still as effective?
    Thank you!
    I've never used creatine but I've Googled it in the past. From waht I recall there is a strange sensation for the first few weeks and then you don't feel it, but it's still working. Similar to DOMS. Go about your normal routine for months and unless you are over-exerting yourself or have poor form, you will probably not get that sore anymore. Take a week or two off, or introduce a new exercise, or even just change your schedule... and you'll probably get sore again. I just introduced hanging leg raises and pull-ups (2015 goal is to finally start working on my pull up goals haha) and I have DOMs from that. Doesn't mean that the lack of DOMS means your muscles aren't being worked.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    etuntland wrote: »

Thank you!

Most Preworkouts have stimulants like caffeine. Your body will develop a tolerance to the stims so yes it's a good idea to cycle their use or you're left to keep increasing the dosage to get the same effect. However, creatine doesn't lose effectiveness over time, training uses it up and it is beneficial to replace it. If you've been getting your creatine as part of a Preworkout blend, you can either take it as a stand alone product during the off stim periods of your cycle, or pickup a Preworkout without stims.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drink a protein shake post workout. I don't do a pre-workout shake, but I do take BCAA which is supposed to help prevent entering a catabolic state if you workout fasted, which I do (I don't eat before my morning workout.). I've been taking the BCAA for a couple weeks now and can't really tell any difference one way or the other, but since I have a 6 or 9 month supply, I'll keep on taking it.

Almost forgot, I also take creatine. I drink it post workout since timing is supposed to be irrelevant.