I FINALLY jogged my first mile!

Options
I remember in marching band I couldn't even jog a full lap around the field without being severely out of breath. It was embarrassing. Not only was I (and still am) overweight, but I perfectly fit the description of overweight band geek. It was horrible.

When I started college, a majority of my friends were physically fit and would go on runs or jogs at a nearby park. I would join in for half a minute and quickly drop out. I couldn't do it xD So I made a goal to one day be able to jog a mile without stopping. That was a little over a year ago.

I wasn't motivated to jog. Hell, I was rarely motivated to do anything that involved me getting up, but I did it after a year of practice. I tried and failed C25k twice and had to find something different that I could stick to. I can finally say that I'm able to jog a mile without stopping!! Maybe one day I'll be able to run it :D

Replies

• HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! We all have to start somewhere! As an asthmatic, I can relate to being out of breath. Used to be able to run only 1/4 mile at a time. But now I run marathons/ultras. Persistence & perseverance are the key. Good luck with your running!
  • Annekroline
    Options
    Congratulations ! Don't stop now you know you are able. New project : two miles ?
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @HornedFrogPride‌ I know how you feel. I'm also and asthmatic, but it's gotten more controlled since I became more active. Congrats on your marathons! I'm jealous. lol
  • Jojomotivated
    Options
    New project definitely 2 miles, either that or fully running one mile. =)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Just be careful .. the incidents of running injuries is very high, like 50% of runners injuring themselves every year. I know ... that was me last year, injured myself doing C25k .. and why I don't run anymore. There are just better things to do. Besides .. it is really bad on your joints, especially your knees.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last march. I went from running 10k easily. To hardly walking and being totally reliant on my husband to dress me and help me off the toilet. I'm back at it tho and working my way back. It's good you don't let your asthma hold you back. Theres some great YouTube videos about proper form. Mid foot running will help you get to your goal faster.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    WTG!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Terrific achievement, well done.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just be careful .. the incidents of running injuries is very high, like 50% of runners injuring themselves every year. I know ... that was me last year, injured myself doing C25k .. and why I don't run anymore. There are just better things to do. Besides .. it is really bad on your joints, especially your knees.

PLEASE Do not listen to this nonsense. If you want to run, then run. Build up slowly, don't take on too much to fast, listen to your body, and get the proper equipment (i.e. running shoes) - just as you should with any other exercise. If you don't want to run, then don't. The point is to find something that you enjoy so that you stick with it.

As for the new project of "fully running one mile" - not sure what this means. Unless your one mile "jog" involved walking breaks, you have fully run one mile. The difference between "jogging" and "running" is largely semantics. If you mean that you want to run 1 mile at a faster pace, then your best bet is to GRADUALLY increase your distance. Increased endurance will make running feel easier, which will allow you to push harder, which will improve your pace.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!! And good luck on your journey, whatever that next step may be!

• Jojomotivated
    Options
    @Ka97 At first I didn't like running, but then I started to enjoy it when I got closer to my goal. Yes xD Exactly what I meant. I just worded it wrong. I would like to jog/run a mile faster. It took me 19 minutes and I would like to be at 15 one day.

Thank you all so much for your kind words =)
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In my mind jogging = running. The motion is the same, it's only a difference in speed and there's no pre-determined speed where you suddenly qualify as a runner.

You just ran a mile.

That's an excellent achievement - well done!

As for the concerns mentioned about injury, keep your steps relatively short, try to land gently. ka97's advice is good too, if you enjoy it, keep doing it!

Congratulations on reaching a big milestone!
  • Jojomotivated
    Options
    Wow o: didn't realize they were so similar. I was also told on youtube videos that a "jog" becomes a "run" when you hit 6 miles per hour. Thank you!

O.O OH MY GOD I JUST RAN A MILE! Wow!!!
  • improvement_not_perfection
    Options
    great job!!!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Your post brought me joy.

I recommend trying to increase milage instead of increasing speed. My reasoning is that runners high. Seriously, after it kicks in there is nothing like it.
  • healthymoi2015
    healthymoi2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    congrats! that's really awesome. i have done a few 5ks (and had to train for them - big time) but i completed them by doing run/walk intervals. i would love to be able to just straight run. however, haven't made that happen yet. thanks for inspiring me - and i'm sure lots of other people. :)
  • brzflapdx
    brzflapdx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Way to Go!
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What a great achievement and an even better way to start off a new year. Keep it up!

• tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »

PLEASE Do not listen to this nonsense

Don't run! Its bad for you. Stay home on the couch and eat candy.
  • tvanderholybrook
    tvanderholybrook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have been doing Nike Training Center (iPhone app) for a couple years, and in October finally clicked on the "add running to enhance your workout" option when starting a 4 week program. I have never been able to run a distance in my life, but this program REALLY worked for me. Highly recommended. I'm now running 10-15 miles per week and it feels incredible. If you like the running, seek out an esteemed training program and follow it, and you will likely avoid injury. Also, Nike Running is a great app, although I haven't looked at any of it's training programs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!