My routine with weights

Options
I basically have my weekly workouts sorted, plenty of cardio which I am quite happy with at the moment and need little advice or help(going well), and with the weights I am more concerned with doing big muscle group core exercises etc.

I have broken it down to three separate sessions, and with 2 days off between sessions.

Day 1 .. Deadlifts

Day 2 .. Bench press

Day 3 .. Squats

I really do not want to be spending too much time on the weights, good core exercises then out. But I do want to do a few other exercises after I have done my main important ones, not too many mind. I have a rough idea of what I want to do, but keep changing my mind :-) .. would be grateful of a little advice.

And please if anyone is about to suggest any piddly little bicep curls or the like, forget it, benches and deadlifts will more than take care of that.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would add ohp/military press, rows (barbell or dumbbell), and chin ups (or pullups or lat pulldowns.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So you have your routine sorted.....but didn't tell us what's already included.... but you want advice on what to add....and want to cut us off at the pass from trying to suggest "piddly exercises"? To sum it up, you want "extra stuff" that's "not too piddly. "

I'm good, thanks.
  • jemhh
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So you have your routine sorted.....but didn't tell us what's already included.... but you want advice on what to add....and want to cut us off at the pass from trying to suggest "piddly exercises"? To sum it up, you want "extra stuff" that's "not too piddly. "

I'm good, thanks.

I think that deadlifts, squats, and bench each once a week is his whole routine so far. Or did I misunderstand?

• grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    What are your goals?

Hi SS

I have been a little lazy with my training past six months, but not totally neglected. I need to shed about 10Lb and get my shape back. I am doing a lot of rowing, crosstrainer and cycling at the moment, not that is a chore as I love it. Getting out a lot at the moment on the mountain bike in the mud and winter weather.. wonderful!!. I probably doing a good 5 sessions at 40 minutes to an hour plus a week on cardio(no running/jogging). I have been getting back into training this last month after achilles tear after a fatal run.

I see the weights side of my training as a way of getting my strength up to scratch, that's why I have gone for the good core exercise. I am not really into the pretty bodybuilding stuff or how I look, just want the strength training for my sports, wellbeing and later or triathlon again.

But if I was totally honest it would be nice to see two or three inches comes off my waist as well :-)

• grumpygit1962
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would add ohp/military press, rows (barbell or dumbbell), and chin ups (or pullups or lat pulldowns.)

Hi Jem

That is a good one that I forgot, thanks, military press..

I will be taking two full days off between sessions, so I will be mostly doing 2 of those session per week, basically doing all of them over a nine day period. The idea of the bench press midway was to give the legs a rest. Also something I never mentioned is that I am going to really focus on the legs for a while, for too long I have been lazy in that department.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Why not pick a tried a and true program and go from there? Wendler's 5/3/1, Starting Strength, Body for life, etc. These are all proven programs that will help you to build a balanced physique and will give you direction when you hit the gym. You can build your own program, and do what you want, but why not follow one that is proven to work? 3 day full body splits with 2 days rest in between and some cardio on your off days is what I recommend.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    OP - So, I'm curious, where did you get your lifting experience and education from? It takes a lot of knowledge to make a progressive and effective lifting program.

There is a reason for suggestions of getting a competent trainer or using a premade program.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OP - So, I'm curious, where did you get your lifting experience and education from? It takes a lot of knowledge to make a progressive and effective lifting program.

There is a reason for suggestions of getting a competent trainer or using a premade program.

I have been training in various ways for over 40 years now, I boxed as a lightweight moving eventually up to welterweight. I have skied, cycled, dived, marathon running, scuba and much more. These days I am not that welterweight anymore, more closer to 12 st 7Lb, but still in not bad shape.

So I do have a basic understanding of how to train, and one of the biggest mistakes from the past was manic/overtraining, and not using the trusted squat and deadlift at all.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    If you don't want piddly stuff, I say you go straight for GVT. Everything after that will feel like you are just warming up. Either that or go to bodybuilding.com and do Arnold's Blueprint routine. Either one will work.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    If you don't want piddly stuff, I say you go straight for GVT. Everything after that will feel like you are just warming up. Either that or go to bodybuilding.com and do Arnold's Blueprint routine. Either one will work.

Look!! some of you are taking the piddly out of context, totally. The example I gave is say the bicep curl which basically(shock horror)just does the bicep(mostly). An exercise such as the deadlift or squat does good solid core strength, it basically does the lot to a degree.
    For so many years I have seen new guys go straight to the bicep curl(for example) and work them so they can see their veins and thinking their biceps will blow up like balloons, for good.

Now what I was basically trying to find out, what would be a good combo with say the deadlift that day, but that will be my main exercise that day.. could it be upright rowing for example or sitting military press? .. so over those three sessions(nine days) what would the best mix up.

Sorry if for some reason so many are so sensitive about the bicep curl, Cor Blimey!!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have already gave my suggestion. 3 day full body routine, and then some cardio on your off days. Compound movements using nothing but a barbell. That is the type of routine I am on, it takes 40-45 minutes from start to finish, and it is working great for me. It includes, squats, bench press, bent rows, SLDL, calf raises, Standing overhead press, and Barbell curls. I do that 3 days a week. Split in heavy, medium, and light weight days. I have also added Lat pulls to this routine. You can put those in there or pull ups. As I said though, I am following a proven program that thousands, if not 10s of thousands have followed and had success with. That is why I and others here have suggested finding a routine that is made by professionals and following it.

Good luck with which ever direction you decide to go.
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    I have already gave my suggestion. 3 day full body routine, and then some cardio on your off days. Compound movements using nothing but a barbell. That is the type of routine I am on, it takes 40-45 minutes from start to finish, and it is working great for me. It includes, squats, bench press, bent rows, SLDL, calf raises, Standing overhead press, and Barbell curls. I do that 3 days a week. Split in heavy, medium, and light weight days. I have also added Lat pulls to this routine. You can put those in there or pull ups. As I said though, I am following a proven program that thousands, if not 10s of thousands have followed and had success with. That is why I and others here have suggested finding a routine that is made by professionals and following it.

Good luck with which ever direction you decide to go.

You are really not a million miles off what I will be doing and have done for many many years. Like I said I have neglected the legs for too long and am getting top heavy.. I can bench 200Lbs quite comfortably, but my squat is not much more, something is very wrong there.

Thanks
  • jemhh
    Options
    OP, something like what is proposed in this article might work. It's a straight twice a week rather than every three days.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/twice-a-week-training-program
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This ^.

I like close-grip bench, for reps, too. Dips and push-ups too.

I like back extensions on my lower nights.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would do 3 day/week full body with a linear progression model until you stall out a couple of times.

Something like

A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

B
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Row

And alternate A/B/A week1 , B/A/B week 2, etc.

You could then add in accessory movements as needed, probably only 1 or 2 accessory lifts per day. Or you could skip the accessories and just do the above.

If you are training primarily for strength you should be fine doing 3x5.

This method will get your squat to progress fast because you will add weight to the squat each session and you are squatting 3 days per week on this set up.

Start out very light.

Also go get a copy of Starting Strength.

• ageofsteel
    Options
    And please if anyone is about to suggest any piddly little bicep curls or the like, forget it, benches and deadlifts will more than take care of that.
    Uh yeah, good luck with that.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look into books by Wendler, "5/3/1" and "Beyond 5/3/1". They are a template for intermediate-to-advanced training, revolving around the big lifts. He gives many different options for accessory work, depending on your specific goals. It sounds like you're sorta doing it already, so it might be perfect for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, do GVT.

You may have training experience, but not the experience I was getting at. Something like GVT should work for you. Or, double it.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Weighted pullups and dips if you can, or just plain pullups and dips if you're not there yet. They both work a ton of muscle groups.