fruit I can keep in my desk?

Options
dandydalek
dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
Lately, I've been trying to work on eating Healthier, not just Less, and one thing I really need to do is up my fruits and veggies. I never keep snack foods in my desk because, well, I'll eat them, but I'm thinking if I had something Healthy to snack upon, it would be a win/win. I don't want to keep actual fruit (like apples and bananas) in my desk drawer because it will attract bugs and I also don't want to keep packaged fruit that's full of sugar and additives. Does anyone know of a healthy, no extras added (including sugar) packaged fruit I could keep in my desk?

Thanks, MFPers! You always have great advice!

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I have a cooler lunch bag that I sit next to my desk everyday, I pack it each morning, with Veggies and Veggie Dip, 2oz of peannuts seperated, Turkey Pepperoni, Fiber One Bars and Pickles. It's right next to my desk, but it keep my stuff cool because it's a lunch bag with insulation.. and no bugs!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Dried apricots usually don't have added sugar, I always keep a little bag in my purse for emergency snacking.
    I don't think the little snack sized apple sauce containers require refrigeration. Just make sure you look at the ingredients, I've accidentally purchased it with high fructose corn syrup before.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I buy the fruit cups that are in their own juices, especially the peaches and pineapple. they don't have the added sugar. also, natural almonds are a fabulous snack to keep in your desk.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been trying to work on eating Healthier, not just Less, and one thing I really need to do is up my fruits and veggies. I never keep snack foods in my desk because, well, I'll eat them, but I'm thinking if I had something Healthy to snack upon, it would be a win/win. I don't want to keep actual fruit (like apples and bananas) in my desk drawer because it will attract bugs and I also don't want to keep packaged fruit that's full of sugar and additives. Does anyone know of a healthy, no extras added (including sugar) packaged fruit I could keep in my desk?

Thanks, MFPers! You always have great advice!

Congrats on wanting to eat healthier!

What about fruit leathers? Or dried fruit, such as mango, apple rings, etc. I think they're all going to be high in sugar because it's so concentrated, but at least it's natural sugar. Or what about something like a trail mix?
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've had good experience with actual apples, oranges, and bananas stored for relatively short periods of time (3-4 days). I bring a few in every couple of days and keep them on top of my desk so I don't forget them and let them go bad.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I keep dried apricots, unsweetened applesauce, and raw almonds sealed in a container in a cabinet above my desk. I also bring an insulated lunch bag with carrots, fresh fruit and some type of cheese ( it varies). I find that it helps me to have protein along with my fruit and veggies to keep me on track
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit and almonds go great together. Put them in those tiny plastic containers, and you have portion control, too.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Great tips.
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    dried plums with no sugar added, dried apricots, apples, or freeze dried fruit.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    there are these applesauce packets for kids lunch boxes that you can eat without a spoon.... they are really good. Found them at walmart: http://www.materne.us/homepage/
  • jessicamiller25
    Options
    Eating dried fruit can add a lot of sugar to your diet. You tend to eat more of each piece when it is dried and your are not getting the extra filling water that fresh fruit has. Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, kiwi, plums, peaches, pears) should not attract ants unless they start to go bad. Bring in enough for the work week and replace every week. Maybe putting the fruit in a bowl could help keep it off any work surfaces if you are still worried about bugs or germs. Think, fruit grows outside in the heat and weather and they stay fresh for a long time. Also, try eating a fresh piece of fruit with each meal and you will get fuller faster with less calories. Good luck.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    One of my personal favs is the flattened bananas at trader joes. They are dried and have no added sugar. So yummy! Warning though they are addictive.
  • Brandie0502
    Brandie0502 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch/snacks to work every day & while I usually eat my fruit the day I bring it, apples, bananas, & oranges last a few days. I leave them on my desk & not in a drawer where I'll forget them.
  • Kinnder
    Kinnder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These: http://www.brothersallnatural.com/categories/Fruit-Crisps-%2d-The-100%-Fruit-Snack/Brothers%2dAll%2dNatural-Fruit-Crisps/

All the flavors are great, but Apple Cinnamon and Banana are my favorites! They have no added sugar, no preservatives, and are all natural. They also have a long shelf life (12+ months).