Best way to get praised is to wear fitted clothing

Options
Workout4Health
Workout4Health Posts: 447 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
When you get in better shape, you get smaller. But most people will only really take notice when you start cleaning out your closet and getting clothes that fits you better. That's my experience, wearing the bigger clothes is going to deceive people. There is also a psychological benefit to wearing fitted clothing, it does make you feel lighter as well.

Replies

• jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    very true. And move to flat front trousers, none of those pleats
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can't wait til I'm at my goal weight so I can throw out every stitch of fabric I own and start fresh! All I want for my day-to-day are workout clothes, 8 pairs of extremely flattering designer jeans and 8 black t-shirts. No joke. That is all I want in life. And 10 or so pairs of shoes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why should I care what other people think?
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options

No one said you have to. Feedback is motivating for some people. Is it such a foreign concept to you that different people have different perspectives?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Oh go on, buy 1 white t-shirt to surprise your friends
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I generally don't give a flying **** what people think about me, but I do like getting comments once in a while (specifically from females. B) )
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for me, but it's nice when people notice. You're right that the best thing you can do for yourself is by well fitting clothes. So many people hold off buying clothes while they're losing because they don't want to waste money or whatnot, but end up getting dispirited because no one comments and they can't really see their loss themselves.

By losing weight when you need to, you're doing yourself a huge favour and deserve to be rewarded by looking good while you do it, not punished with ill fitting clothes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yep. for some.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

If I tell you, you have a great smile wouldn't you appreciate it. It's the same with getting compliments for something one is trying and people noticing.

But seriously you have a great smile.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's also a good incentive to keep the weight off- I bought some nice clothes before Christmas but I can feel them getting tight after the festive eating. I really want to lose a few pounds so I can keep wearing my new clothes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Because it's an important part of being human, for starters.

Besides, wanting other people to think you don't care is just a roundabout way of caring.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

since when is wearing clothing that fits about other people?

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So no one notices that your jeans getting baggier and baggier?
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, I can only speak from my own experience, but I've lost over 78 lbs and, during the losing phase (which was about 18-19 months), I felt frumpy and old when things just got too big. Also, I work in an office, so I have to look fairly professional. As I lost, I would periodically buy a few key pieces in my current size or a little bit tight. I bought things that were versatile so I didn't have to go bankrupt, but I wanted to look good and appreciate my efforts as I lost sizes. Doing it that way, vs. waiting for a big splurge at the end, kept me motivated and helped me to discover my new style as I was trying to accept a new body. Other people noticed and complimented me but, more importantly, I felt much more attractive and confident.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Fitted clothing always makes me feel like a broken Pillsbury tube - spilling out and rolls everywhere.
    199udn1erhbpfjpg.jpg
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this. I got a vest recently that is fitted and I get so many compliments on my appearance when I wear it to work. Makes me feel good!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    blc1971 wrote: »
    Well, I can only speak from my own experience, but I've lost over 78 lbs and, during the losing phase (which was about 18-19 months), I felt frumpy and old when things just got too big. Also, I work in an office, so I have to look fairly professional. As I lost, I would periodically buy a few key pieces in my current size or a little bit tight. I bought things that were versatile so I didn't have to go bankrupt, but I wanted to look good and appreciate my efforts as I lost sizes. Doing it that way, vs. waiting for a big splurge at the end, kept me motivated and helped me to discover my new style as I was trying to accept a new body. Other people noticed and complimented me but, more importantly, I felt much more attractive and confident.

This is pretty much how I did it - I would add that fitting into 'slim fit' shirts/jeans was just the confirmation I needed to help my brain catch up with my new shape/size.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I don't care what people think, but it wasn't until I started wearing clothing that actually fit that my brain started to catch up and recognize my weight loss. It was a positive for sure.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    blc1971 wrote: »

Exactly. You've made the point perfectly. Sure, the comments and praise from others is nice, but this is for YOU, not them.

Most of my clothes are very fitted and tailored well. I work hard on my physique, so no need to hide it. I do NOT do it to seek attention, however. I think some people have a hard time understanding this concept.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why shouldn't you care what other people think? I'm not suggesting you have to alter anything or stress over it, but it seems natural to care about what others think.