low carb

Options
Hi there I'm on day one of my low carb diet, I'm type one diabetic so trying to lower my insulin doses and hopefully lose weight. Anyone else doing low carb? Could be doing with some moral support :)

Replies

• ppeachess
    ppeachess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am starting low carb today .
  • kimkennedy89
    kimkennedy89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ppeachess wrote: »
    Yes. I am starting low carb today .

Good luck :) how many grams of carbs are you having per day?

• mrsfeliciaburnett
    Options
    Stay away from bad carbs, I had to Google good and bad carbs. I know potatoes, rice, noodles are out.
  • kimkennedy89
    kimkennedy89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stay away from bad carbs, I had to Google good and bad carbs. I know potatoes, rice, noodles are out.

Yeah I had to do the same thing as I seen people referring to good carbs, like brown rice ect
  • gigi60564
    gigi60564 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started today as well. I did Atkins diet 11 years ago and lost 55lbs. I did exercise 5-7x a week for at least one hour. I lost the 55lbs in about 6 months averaging at 9lbs a month. It was work, but oh so worth it. All my elevated blood counts decreased dramatically and good chloresterol shot up. My Dr said whatever you are doing keep it up. My b/p was 108/58. I am now 61y/o, I let exercising slip by and let the carbs slip down my throat ;) So I am very excited to begin my journey once again. Just remember you do need to replace the carbs with protein & fat. Don't be afraid of fat; butter, olive oil, avocado, even bacon etc.
  • Mosschops_Lancs
    Options
    Hi Kim

I'm a Type 1 (41 years) and started doing LCHF last year. Fell off the wagon when i got married in August but started again yesterday. I had a LOT to learn about adjusting insulin doses and the fact that on a LCHF diet you need to account for protein when using insulin. Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
  • Mosschops_Lancs
    Options

Yeah I had to do the same thing as I seen people referring to good carbs, like brown rice ect

There can be a lot of confusion of good/bad carbs (or simple/complex carbs as they are also known), but if you are insulin dependent then ANY carb intake needs insulin. So the less carbs you have, the less insulin you inject, the less errors you will have in your Blood Sugar control. Resulting in better health.
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Transitioned from Type 2 to Type 1. Do a low carb diet because I base my insulin on what I eat. With my sliding scale I was taking up to 30u insulin with each meal. Now I am usually taking 10 or less. My A1c is down to 5.9 and I am losing weight. I am not doing Atkins. Atkins requires you to remove the fiber from the carb for net carb intake. I still have to count the fiber in the total of the carbs. But documenting the meals helps a lot.