If I get about 800-900 calories a day?

Options
hiii ppl

just wondering,
if I manage to get 800-900 cals a day,in 5,6 meals, I wont lose weight?
because I really cant exercise very often. I just use treadmill 5 days a week, walking about 3 kms.
I also take multi vitamin once a day.

What do you think?

Replies

• dunklecyndi
    dunklecyndi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet and I am lucky to get 800 calories all though I eat constantly. Fresh produce. I have lost weight but I am concerned I'm not getting enough calories.
  • seattlecynthia
    Options
    Probably doing the traditional 1200 to 1500 calories is best. You do not want to put your body into starvation mode where it actually hangs onto calories for survival and slows your metabolism .
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Yes you will lose weight. It's not healthy though and should only be done under a doctors supervision. Chances are extremely high that you will be lacking the Macro (protein/carbs/fat) and Micro (vitamins/minerals) your body needs. Lacking in nutrients will destroy your insides and have horrible long term side effects. This is why it isn't recommended to eat less than 1200 calories, because with less than that it is extremely hard/if not impossible to get the things your body needs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum recommended intake for a sedentary woman. If you're also exercising, you're supposed to eat those back too. 800-900 is too low, even without the exercising.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    That isn't enough to maintain your health. If you are serious about losing weight and want to remain healthy while you are doing it, you will stick to a minimum of 1200 cal a day even if you sit on the couch all day long while you are doing it.

And if you get a little curious, check out the information on this website, get checked out by your doctor and get informed about the realities of losing weight safely.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    :( please.eat.more.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely lose weight, but there's the inevitable prospect of long-term sustainability and metabolism damage.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Parastu, if you read the below link you will be on your way in no time to losing weight without eating so little. Good Luck on your journey.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • SD2bfit
    SD2bfit Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree. She isn't promoting a diet. She is just looking for information. MFP offers great support and tools to help you succeed. That's why we are all here.

Any diet below 1200 cal. is extremely dangerous. My Fitness Pal offers a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator. MFP uses this to calculate how many calories you should take in every day to lose your goal weight safely.
    "Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise." (from My Fitness Pal BMR Calculator).

Keep exercising, focus on eating healthy, and use the tools on MFP to help you. You can do it, just be patient. Remember, beauty is not just about the scale. I like to focus on not just my weight, but my nutrition and exercise goals--lower sugar and salt intake, exercise 45 minutes per day (walking, heavy cleaning/housework, food prep/cooking all count towards that goal).

Good luck, Parastu95!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Put it this way, eating 800-900 calories every day will cause you to lose weight...and hair...and muscle mass..
    Using the treadmill is good exercise, and five days a week isn't bad. As far as eating goes, I'd try to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and then create a slight deficit. Or you could try the TDEE method. Just read up a bit :)

A slower, more sustainable weight loss will get you farther than a quick fix of any sort
    Good luck OP! Feel free to add me
  • wendyborg90
    wendyborg90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not true that a diet below 1200 is always extremely dangerous. What about short people? They need way less than the ridiculous 2000 calories maintain diet. Heck I'm 5'6 and would gain weight since my bmr is 1600.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    It's not true that a diet below 1200 is always extremely dangerous. What about short people? They need way less than the ridiculous 2000 calories maintain diet. Heck I'm 5'6 and would gain weight since my bmr is 1600.
    While I will agree with you that short people need less calories to maintain/lose weight than the taller people, I wouldn't suggest going under 1200, and that's on the low end. I'm 4'9, and I'd be starving at just 900 a day.

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

the chance that you would gain on 2,000 calories a day at 5'6" with a BMR of 1600 is ridiculously small. If your BMR is 1600 that's what you'd need to intake in order to maintain your current weight if you were laying in bed unconscious. It's what is needed to keep your heart pumping, your brain functioning, your body temperature regulated, and so on. If you so much as open your eyes, your calorie need goes up from that BMR. Let alone if you sit up in bed, or walk to the bathroom, brush your teeth - or exercise in the smallest way. You need a better understanding of how this all works.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate (aka the calories you burn before daily activity just to keep your heart, lungs, brain ect working).

I really doubt you would gain weight eating 2000 calories. I'm 5'4.5" and lose weight eating in the 1600-2000 range. If my math is correct, I'd maintain on closer to 2600 calories. My BMR is approx 1472.

There is also a success story from a girl who is 4'10 and eats 2000 calories.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1032620/410-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are very few people who should be eating that low with calories. In fact, it is usually limited to morbidly obese (under doctor supervision) or those with medical conditions like hypothyroidism (especially if sedentary) or very short sedentary women (especially older). The issue you will have at that calorie point is you will lack getting adequate nutrition as PearlAng mention. But considering the OP is a very young and active women, her needs are probably double that.

OP, side note, I would drop the treadmill down to two or three days and replace the other days with resistance training. It's important to work both the cardiovascular system and work on preserving your lean body mass.

• lalanie17
    lalanie17 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did do that at one point in time I was wondering why I was gaining and not losing I put my body into starvation mode it took about 2 weeks to get back on track...your body has to have at least 1200 bare minimum...