I lost 120 pounds total but I also lost my "fat guy strength"

Options

Replies

• derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think I know what your problem is.

As you lose weight your range of motion will change too. You could have added up to 3 inches on the range of your bench. Also your hips and knees will move different on squat and dead lift.

So let me give you some real numbers from my own training. When I started I was 300 and I could only bench an empty bar or 20lb dumbbells. When I hit my goal I was 170 and I could bench 225 for 2 or 3 reps but I could get 110 dumbbells 8 or more easy. I lost a good 10 inches around my chest so the range of the dumbbells always stayed the same but I had to keep relearning the bar movement to go deeper. It took a few months of training at the same size to get the bar movements to back in to ratio of the dumbbells that most other people have. Most 5x5 programs never take this in to account and people put way to much faith in them, pardon the pun but its not one size fits all.

Even with my running I am still learning how to run as a smaller person and I have been this size for 2 years.
    All of this is spot on I can dumbell press more than I bench....
  • derkin2005
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I got about 3000% stronger while losing 100lbs but I trained heavy and consistently for the latter 75% of my weight loss or so. Losing weight too quickly and/or without consideration for serious weight lifting will definitely result in a significant amount of LBM loss and likely a lot of strength along with it. It's pretty typical, honestly.

This has been my experience ^^ well, Dope is a beast, my strength gains, though there, aren't nearly as impressive.

A couple of things: I was a noob lifter when I started losing. Also, I've taken 2.5 years to lose 100 pounds. The periods during that time in which I've lost faster, I've seen some impacts on my strength (stalls). However, I've never lost at the rate that you have. My understanding is that losing the weight that quickly will impact your Lbm.

Please don't take that as critcism, your loss is impressive, and I am sure that you are much healthier for it. Now you can start some bulk/cut cycles to start getting that strength back.

Thank you congrats on your loss, on Feb 1st I will have maintained for 1 year
  • derkin2005
    Options

To address the forum topic: The only change in strength I notice is that if I have to push something (furniture, for example), I have less weight to put into it. That extra 100 lbs moved mountains! All I had to do was lean.
    Great job and yes leaning did a lot more lol
  • derkin2005
    Options
    [quote="RodaRose;30643080"[/b][/quote]
    These are beautiful thoughts about your daughter. Keep doing great things. :mrgreen: [/quote]
    Yhank you so much
  • tnosair
    tnosair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your body adds fat and muscle proportionally although you can alter your diet and lose more fat than muscle but when your cutting or losing weight you will also lose some muscle hence why you probably feel weaker. Its the also the same when people bulk and gain weight while working out. You grow muscle but you also get some fat with it.
    Great job on the weight loss
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - I haven't lost as much weight as you but I feel the same - seems like that last extra gear is gone - that and losing the size and weight to throw around even if it was mostly fat leaves you feeling physcially smaller - it's a macho guy thing, we like being big.

On the plus side I'm feeling younger and getting faster and more agile and have a lot less back and joint pain. I'll take it.
  • derkin2005
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    I know what you mean - I haven't lost as much weight as you but I feel the same - seems like that last extra gear is gone - that and losing the size and weight to throw around even if it was mostly fat leaves you feeling physcially smaller - it's a macho guy thing, we like being big.

On the plus side I'm feeling younger and getting faster and more agile and have a lot less back and joint pain. I'll take it.

All true my friend and congrats on your loss
  • derkin2005
    Options
    tnosair wrote: »
    You grow muscle but you also get some fat with it.
    Great job on the weight loss
    Thank you

• kylasantucci
    kylasantucci Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    congratulations. :D
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I think it's unfair to expect your body to perform at the same level it did before you lost this weight. When you lose weight you are losing a combination of muscle, water, and fat. By the time you've lost your weight you will take less calories to maintain.

It's imperative that while losing weight (especially this amount being 57% of your total body weight!) that you keep protein levels high and consistently strength train to minimize muscle loss and retain as much as possible. But it's inevitable that you will lose muscle mass.

Going forward you can focus on a small caloric surplus, optimal protein levels, and strength training to gain muscle.

Good luck!
  • derkin2005
    Options
    congratulations. :D

Thanks
  • derkin2005
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Great job!

I think it's unfair to expect your body to perform at the same level it did before you lost this weight. When you lose weight you are losing a combination of muscle, water, and fat. By the time you've lost your weight you will take less calories to maintain.

It's imperative that while losing weight (especially this amount being 57% of your total body weight!) that you keep protein levels high and consistently strength train to minimize muscle loss and retain as much as possible. But it's inevitable that you will lose muscle mass.

Going forward you can focus on a small caloric surplus, optimal protein levels, and strength training to gain muscle.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words and the advice
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! :)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing a dedicated strength routine. Something like 5x5? You add 2.5kg every session until you max out, then keep trying or deload then work way back up. Proven results. It's turned my bench from 40kg-60kg in about 3 months.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Even the best bodybuilders in the world lose strength as they prep for a show. Even with all the gear they use, muscle loss does occur on a cut.
    Weight loss in any form will affect fat loss and include some muscle loss. And vice versa. Don't worry though. People won't be impressed about how much you bench pressed before. They'll be more impressed that you lost weight and look more muscular.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • derkin2005
    Options
    lyrics09 wrote: »
    Awesome job!!!! :)

Thank you
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    While im still about 10 pounds away from my initial goal after a little holiday splurging, im still 150 below my starting point and I know how you feel. Compared to my strength when I started this Journey I actually feel a little self conscious in the gym just for different reasons then before. Now feeling a bit weak. Just like you, soon I'll need to increase the calories and start lifting heavy. Congrats on your progress so far, its awesome!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    KipDrordy wrote: »
    I have a theory. If you were 264 lbs, that meant you were always lugging around a 264 lb body. Just getting up or walking up a flight of stairs with that kind of weight would require quite a bit of strength. I always wondered how extremely heavy people (400+ lbs) could even walk. If I put a 200+ lb suit on me, I'm not going anywhere. But a 400 lb woman can get up and move around. The only explanation I have is that muscle was added as the weight increased. Lifting weights isn't the same as carrying around a lot of weight 24/7.

Because the weight was gained gradually. I've lost 44 lbs so far. If I pick up a 40 lb bag of dog food, I can't believe I used to carry that around all the time. But if I gained back the 44 lbs over a period of time, it wouldn't feel like as much of a load.

Make sense?

• derkin2005
    Options

JoyeII wrote: »
    Because the weight was gained gradually. I've lost 44 lbs so far. If I pick up a 40 lb bag of dog food, I can't believe I used to carry that around all the time. But if I gained back the 44 lbs over a period of time, it wouldn't feel like as much of a load.

Make sense?
    Completely
  • derkin2005
    Options
    JeffInJax wrote: »
    While im still about 10 pounds away from my initial goal after a little holiday splurging, im still 150 below my starting point and I know how you feel. Compared to my strength when I started this Journey I actually feel a little self conscious in the gym just for different reasons then before. Now feeling a bit weak. Just like you, soon I'll need to increase the calories and start lifting heavy. Congrats on your progress so far, its awesome!

Thank you and congrats on yours as well sir.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!