Kettlebell Exercise

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has done the kettlebell exercises? My local gym has a beginner class. I wanted to get some reviews before I tried it out. Thanks!

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love working out with my kettlebell, I don't do it often enough though. It is a tough workout, but really works your entire body.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've used kettlebells for a few years (on and off). The technique is very important so try to find an instructor who has trained properly. Also, don't start with too low a weight - sounds like the opposite of what advice you would expect but it is hard to swing properly if your bell is too light. I started with a 6kg kettlebell but very quickly moved up to 8kg-16kg depending on the exercise. It's great for core fitness and does cardio at the same time.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's hard! I did my first workout yesterday, and it was just a 10 minute video with 5 lb and 10 lb kettlebells, and I gave up after 8 minutes because my arms were exhausted. Mind you, I haven't exercised in years, so you might be starting off in a different place than I was, but damn. My upper arms are feeling it today!
  • angeladawnwright
    Options
    Thank you! That is my worry, my arms feeling like jello. It won't hurt me to at least try it once and see.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Do it. Used properly, kettlebells can change your life....and make you a bad azz.
  • Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There are great benefits to kettlebell training, however I recommend working on your core as well, hopefully your instructor has incorporated some core exercises into your regimen. You will ache in places you never knew would ache, & you will develop calluses right above your palms. A small price to pay for a strong fit body. After a while you wil become tolerant of the pain as you increase the loads. I highly recommend Pilates on your strength training off days. I hope I was helpful
  • tdruff01
    tdruff01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout and if done right you will be very sore within 2 days. Fight though the soreness because it goes away after 24-96 hrs and is well worth it!!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    KB's are great, make sure the instructor is a good one. RKC, HKC or strongfirst certified
  • angeladawnwright
    Options
    Thank You! I am excited to try it out.
  • gingerzinger
    Options
    Give it a try. I took a few kettlebell 6-wk boot camp sessions last year and loved it!

I had no idea what I was doing in the first class, but with some encouragement from the trainer I stuck with it and was glad I did.

Once I got the swing of it (ha!), I found more confidence in my own abilities and noticed that I would push myself harder at all other activities.

Our classes involved instruction, practice and then a circuit work-out which would incorporate various kettlebell swings, core work, push ups, burpees, squats, etc. It was a challenge and you'll definitely sweat and ache the next day.

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I ADORE my kettlebells. I just simply adore them. Strength training and cardio in one. And I can do it at home. I have a 5 lb, a 10 lb, and a 15 lb at home and I use Fitness Blender videos online. And I just go, go, go! ADORE IT!
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    It's a very time and energy efficient- you hit several muscle groups at once. I was on it for more than a year with good results but a fall off a ladder caused some compression fractures in my back. Doctor's orders- no more kettlebell. Otherwise I'd still be swinging away.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    KB's are great, make sure the instructor is a good one. RKC, HKC or strongfirst certified

Agreed! If you cannot find a class that has a certified instructor, I like BodyFit By Amy's kettlebell workout on Youtube. She's RKC certified. She also has a video on how to do a proper swing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bMQHAmCXJAI&list=PLSjM8A0gK-DtaErU2taJlYrDbmPU1s-G5&index=51
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I ADORE my kettlebells. I just simply adore them. Strength training and cardio in one. And I can do it at home. I have a 5 lb, a 10 lb, and a 15 lb at home and I use Fitness Blender videos online. And I just go, go, go! ADORE IT!

Be careful with Fitness Blender, some of there videos display incorrect form. It's worth it to go to a class or two to make sure you get the form correct.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Your arms might ache a bit when you first start but watch your form - you should be moving the weight with the power from your core, not "lifting" the kettlebell with your arms.