Any alternatives to 5x5 - or ways to add activity on off days?

Options
After using the row machine to warm up I up and decided to try strong lifts 5x5 yesterday and it was rather satisfying - albeit I felt like I had a lot of energy still so I did pull ups after.

I am not a beginner and this work out seems tailored to beginners. I want to get back to lifting heavy but I also like to exercise for the mental/emotional well being aspects. I don't like taking 4 days off a week.

Would light lifting and cardio on 1 or 2 off days be detrimental to my goal of regaining strength? Is there a more advanced workout routine you know about that is still relatively simple?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be sore/beat after your first stronglifts workout. It starts light so that you can focus on form and progressively add weight. My husband is not a newbie/beginner lifter. He was bored at first but stuck with it and was later lifting to failure and completely beat afterwards.

If you have energy, there's no reason not to do cardio or resistance training on off days. You can even warm up and cool down with other activities, if you have the energy. Just make sure that you give yourself at least 1 rest day and that you've got your form perfect. Even professionals have to do form checks from time to time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cardio certainly wouldn't be. I'm not sure what "light lifting" would accomplish though.

If a 3day 5x5 program isn't suited to your preferences, why not look at a different program?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I used to lift very heavy and am currently doing 5x5 to regain strength after two back to back babies that sucked the life out of me. I'm seeing great gains in strength and weight, and I also run 3 to 4 times a week, box, and still do body rock workouts when I have time. I also occasionally swim, and other cardio stuff, as time allows.
  • Joshuam2107
    Options
    There will come a time when that extra energy after the sets will dwindle.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Cardio certainly wouldn't be. I'm not sure what "light lifting" would accomplish though.

If a 3day 5x5 program isn't suited to your preferences, why not look at a different program?

Studies show moderate exercise has a positive affect on ones mood and mental acuity for about 12 hours.

I am open to different programs - do you know of any alternatives?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Paulbp4 wrote: »

Studies show moderate exercise has a positive affect on ones mood and mental acuity for about 12 hours.

I don't need a study to tell me that... I'm well aware, as are my kids, of how my mood benefits from workouts, lol!

There are zillions of routines out there... can't really make a recommendation without knowing more about your preferences. The only thing we know so far is that you don't like 4 off days per week.

If you are trying to regain strength, and like the mental aspect of heavy lifting, something like 5/3/1 might be well suited to you... but your progress might be slower than with a 3x full body routine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd actually highly suggest cardio on the days between lifting. I run and added lifting on the days between. The two activities complement each other very well.

There are dozens of lifting programs out there. Just do a Google search and you'll soon be overwhelmed. :lol: I haven't been using a program myself. I do 4 sets of as many reps I can do at the heaviest weight I can lift more than 4 times. Once I can lift that weight 8 times, I go heavier to the next weight I can lift 4 x 4. And so on. It's been working for me. Are there more structured programs that might give me faster results? Possibly. But I'm happy doing what I'm doing and I keep getting stronger. What matters is that it's a program you like enough to keep going.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    There will come a time when that extra energy after the sets will dwindle.

This is a good point. If you stick with the program as designed, at some point you'll get to where the weight and frequency get really draining.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I currently follow 5x5. Yes, it is a "beginner's" program, but most programs that are focusing on strength have a 3 day workout schedule to allow for proper rest and gains. (Lifting tears the muscles, rest is where the real work is done.) If you find yourself itching to do more, throw in some light cardio (jogging, biking, swimming) on your non-lifting days. I've also started throwin in 1-2 days of yoga because it helps with my range of motion, DOMS, and the running that I do.

If you don't like the 3 day program, you can find more programs on bodybuilding.com that have you workout more often, but you'll still probably only workout 4-5 days a week with most of those.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I don't need a study to tell me that... I'm well aware, as are my kids, of how my mood benefits from workouts, lol!

There are zillions of routines out there... can't really make a recommendation without knowing more about your preferences. The only thing we know so far is that you don't like 4 off days per week.

If you are trying to regain strength, and like the mental aspect of heavy lifting, something like 5/3/1 might be well suited to you... but your progress might be slower than with a 3x full body routine.

Haha. My incorrect use of affect rather than effect is case in point for the argument that exercise increases mental acuity (just took a jog).

Now that I am thinking about it a bit more clearly - my main goal is hypertrophy (and strength) on my shoulders and arms. I want to cut fat soon (perhaps starting in Feb? If not then March.) so efficiency is important. I have a dominant chest and powerful build but I think adding some mass on my shoulders, biceps and triceps would help create the physique I would like.

I will have to look into 5/3/1 - I have heard of it before and it may be better.

I also just read that if you are used to higher volume training it can be physiologically and psychologically difficult to adjust to lower volume and higher intensity training.
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I'd actually highly suggest cardio on the days between lifting. I run and added lifting on the days between. The two activities complement each other very well.

There are dozens of lifting programs out there. Just do a Google search and you'll soon be overwhelmed. :lol: I haven't been using a program myself. I do 4 sets of as many reps I can do at the heaviest weight I can lift more than 4 times. Once I can lift that weight 8 times, I go heavier to the next weight I can lift 4 x 4. And so on. It's been working for me. Are there more structured programs that might give me faster results? Possibly. But I'm happy doing what I'm doing and I keep getting stronger. What matters is that it's a program you like enough to keep going.

Unfortunately, I am already overwhelmed! I am going back to school and the semester starts soon - which is why I turned here for advice rather than doing another search myself.

I normally don't follow a program either - I have had plenty of instruction and know general lifts that go well etc - the problem is I don't record anything and forget what I did the previous session! So, I also don't know if one thing in particular works better than another.

Well. I just remembered I need a physical activity to graduate still - maybe one more weight training course won't hurt. :smiley:

Thank you all for replying!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Haha. My incorrect use of affect rather than effect is case in point for the argument that exercise increases mental acuity (just took a jog).

Now that I am thinking about it a bit more clearly - my main goal is hypertrophy (and strength) on my shoulders and arms. I want to cut fat soon (perhaps starting in Feb? If not then March.) so efficiency is important. I have a dominant chest and powerful build but I think adding some mass on my shoulders, biceps and triceps would help create the physique I would like.

I will have to look into 5/3/1 - I have heard of it before and it may be better.

I also just read that if you are used to higher volume training it can be physiologically and psychologically difficult to adjust to lower volume and higher intensity training.
    SueInAz wrote: »

Unfortunately, I am already overwhelmed! I am going back to school and the semester starts soon - which is why I turned here for advice rather than doing another search myself.

I normally don't follow a program either - I have had plenty of instruction and know general lifts that go well etc - the problem is I don't record anything and forget what I did the previous session! So, I also don't know if one thing in particular works better than another.

Well. I just remembered I need a physical activity to graduate still - maybe one more weight training course won't hurt. :smiley:

Thank you all for replying!
    A weight training course.... I like it! Two birds, one stone.

I agree about the time factor. The next term just started for me today. Between a full-time job, part-time school and taking care of a family I barely have time to squeeze in a run or a lifting session some days and some days it just doesn't happen. I just keep plugging on and doing the best I can, though. :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

In that case, I would look into something that has you doing strength days (heavy weight, low reps) and volume days (moderate weight, moderate reps). It could be full body 3 or 4x week, or splits... upper/lower, push/pull, whatever you prefer.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

It's my go-to program. Try the Boring But Big variation if hypertrophy is what you are after:

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/
  • ItIsTJ
    ItIsTJ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread...too much to read.

You could always give Soviet Styled Complex Training a go - Will help for strength and for making you feel like you've actually kicked your own @ss.

There are literally countless variations - as always, it just comes down to goals and what you want