What should be tracked as exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've got a fitbit, and it is synced to my MFP profile, however I don't log any of my activities due to being so sedentary.

My husband has done P90X and Insanity and he logs his activity. If he doesn't, he ends up hungry. But those workouts burn enough that he can "eat back the calories" - and he's hungry if he doesn't.

To me, it depends on your level of activity and what sort of activity it is on whether or not to count it, or to have extra food based on it.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    When you are setting up your account, its asks you your normal daily level of activity? Ie an office working, a builder etc. Its already accounted for
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I only log my activity as exercise when I put on a sportsbra to do it and I am doing the activity to exercise.

Yes, Log it:
    -Walking the dogs (3-3.5 mph without stopping, 1 mile minimum)
    -Running
    -Weight lifting
    -Dance (lindy hop)
    -Yoga

No, I Don't Log:
    -Walking to get places in my life
    -Walking around stores
    -Yard work
    -Cleaning
    -Marital activities
    -Taking the stairs

The reason I do not log those activities is that I am not getting my heart rate up and keeping it up. I'm maybe burning 10 more calories per hour doing those activities than I would burn just walking around my house.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I log only actual workouts and *heavy* physical labor. For example, chopping wood. Other stuff is just part of whatever activity level you picked to represent your lifestyle.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mcge1580 wrote: »
    What activities should you include under exerciser. I am sure there is some element of accounted for exercise and movement in the alloted dietary value. So do you things like grocery shopping, walking at work etc.

Nope. I log weight lifting for record keeping purposes only, but it gets one calorie (you have to put in something). The only exercise I log is cardio because my heart rate gets up and stays there for however long my session is. I use a heart rate monitor to track my calories, and thus far it's been the most accurate of every exercise burn tool I've used.

Anything else outside of cardio is generally part of your activity level.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    For me I log shopping because it is not in my normal. Basically I log anything that isn't something I would do everyday. My exception would be if I am doing vigorous house cleaning.

Really? I would say once a week shopping is in your normal activities of living and should not be logged.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It also depends on your size and fitness level. Someone who is 500 lbs would get quite a workout just going grocery shopping, but someone who is a healthy weight and works out regularly shouldn't count that.

I never thought of that.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Depends on the activity level you chose in your MFP settings. I never add back extra calories for exercise as on average they seem to be accounted for in my activity level settings. Other people seem to prefer setting their MFP setting to sedentary and then log their exercise and add back to calories. Figure out what works for you.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I log something I leave my normal routine for so although I walk an hour a day I don't log it as its school run so my activity level is active to count for that. If I put a dvd on or grab weights or decide to go jog I log it
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If I'm really hungry and out of calories for the day I check my Fitbit, and if I have any green (very intense) lines under "calories burned," I count them so I can have a little snack! Yes, I'm fully aware that im grasping, but some days call for drastic measures! LOL :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    only my workouts and walks that are longer than 30 minutes.

if it didnt keep me from getting fat, it wont help me get fit, either.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    -Marital activities
    You mean like arguing over something you apparently did wrong 6 months ago?

LOL you sound like my husband. My answer to him: "There's no statute of limitations on being an ***hole!"

Ain't marriage grand?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    mcge1580 wrote: »
    What activities should you include under exerciser. I am sure there is some element of accounted for exercise and movement in the alloted dietary value. So do you things like grocery shopping, walking at work etc.

IMO, only deliberate exercise should be accounted for as "exercise". You are correct that your calorie goal includes some amount of movement (even set to sedentary) as well as your basal calories...that is the whole point of selecting an activity level.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My morning commute normally involves 2 buses but since going back to work after Christmas I've started walking the mile and half to the bus station and back instead of getting the first bus. I think for this week I'll log it as exercise as it's additional to what I would normally do but after that I won't log it as I'll be used to it and it will be part of my day to day activity.