I can't drink milk.

Options
Every time I have milk either with cereal or alone I get a very painful gas bubble in what feels like my diaphragm. I can eat cheese, sour cream, and yogurt. Does anybody else have this problem?

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk either but it's because I loathe it. I've gotten gas bubbles like you describe, though, but I'm not sure what foods cause it, if any. It seems to come on pretty arbitrarily.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Regular milk can be difficult to digest .. maybe try Almond Milk or the Lactaid Milk.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's probably just a mild form of lactose intolerance or a milk protein allergy. I'm the same way - but if I eat A LOT of cheese I do get that gas. It has to do with how much I have, really. Some yogurts are lactose free.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk as an alternative to cow milk.
  • stephylcrofts
    stephylcrofts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue! It took me ages to work out what it was but then i figured out it was milk. I drink soya milk now which helps. As you say though, I can have cheese and yoghurt and all other dairy items, it's just milk that does it.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My friend has this problem although if he has cheese, ice cream, etc. in excess he feels the same pain. Probably a milk allergy but I am not a doctor but seeing one might not be a bad idea. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant but can eat cheese and sour cream in small amounts (I usually don't though). I can tolerate yogurt too but I choose not to eat it. I can't eat ice cream. Milk has a lot of lactose compared to cheese and sour cream so that's usually the reason why people can eat cheese but not milk.

I would recommend buying almond, coconut, or soy milk or lactaid milk.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I determined it is a mild lactose intolerance. I can handle fermented dairy and hard cheeses fine. I hurt a bit with too much sour cream, cream cheese, string cheese etc... So sad! So since I really only use milk in protein shakes, I replaced with unsweetened almond milk.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance...?
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to be as I am lactose intolerant. The more you expose yourself to lactose or foods who claim to be lactose free, but have casin in then, you'll most likely have this problem. However, you should probably consult with your physician.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As you age, your body is less able to process lactose. Milk was the first thing to go for me probably about 8 years ago (I'm 32). I only really have a small issue with sour cream but it's not so bad that it stops me from eating it. :)
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get exactly the same thing. It's painful...eliminate dairy and you won't feel it, but after a couple days you'll feel so much better in general. It's like night and day.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep... I used to be able to eat any dairy and now it's tough. Try almond/soy milk. Milk was the first thing that made me feel not so good, followed now by cheese and ice cream. I'm still fine with yogurt, but I'm reading that's because of the probiotics and different cultures in it (and maybe because it's consumed in smaller amounts).
  • SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yup- I can take milk products in tiny moderation but forget ice cream, straight milk, etc. For my cereal, I switched to an almond based milk. The most DELICIOUS milk alternative (IMO) is Almond Breeze's unsweetened vanilla with a touch of honey. It's TO DIE FOR and only 50 calories a cup with less fat and more calcium.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Milk seems to set off a nagging cough for me - I assumed I`d hate milk alternatives - I`m like that, but turns out I love almond milk - don`t be afraid to try it, it`s always selling out at my grocery store
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try raw milk. When milk is pasteurized the enzymes and beneficial bacteria that help process the lactose are killed. My cousin began having issues with lactose in his 40's and switched to raw milk. All his issues were resolved. Many people who are lactose intolerant can process raw milk and cheese just fine. Check out the Weston A. Price Foundations's website to locate raw milk in your area.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used to be like this. He switched to soy milk and I switched to Almond milk and we have been fine since. I was never lactose intolerant, as my family drank milk from a local dairy everyday, but when I moved out and stopped drinking as much milk, it seems that my body started to get irritated by it more. Its a plus that I find Almond milk much tastier than regular milk! Try alternatives!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Also, FYI, when you have a milk "allergy" you actually break out in hives. My mother has milk allergy. This is much more rare and a different issue than being lactose intolerant.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    im the same way. i can eat dairy products (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc) but i have issues with regular milk. i just use almond or coconut milk instead
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sounds like mild lactose intolerance. Processed dairy like cheese doesn't have as much lactose, so it's eaiser to eat. I have the same thing, though mine is more stomach cramps and congestion. ><