waist training

Options
I had this in the wrong section lol

So I've noticed that the new "IT" thing to do is waist training. Everyone has purchased the waist training clinchers (I think that's what they're called). I have questions: Anyone actually use them? If so what type of exercise are you doing? Those who lift heavy and do crossfit have you used them?
Trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting one.

Thanks =)

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. All it does is screw up your insides. If done for too long it can actually rearrange your organs. I don't see the appeal of that.
  • bugsybanks
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone who lifts heavy with it and honestly that's why I'm asking.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    who uses them? idiots
    type of exercise? probably cardio- light weight or machines
    anyone lifting heavy or doing HIIT training won't be using one
    I haven't seen anyone who lifts heavy with it and honestly that's why I'm asking.

that's because anyone whose lifting several hundred pounds for their lifts has to be smart about it- and won't stupid enough to put one of those things on to workout.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    bugsybanks wrote: »

You're not going to see anyone who lifts heavy (or anyone who is serious about their health) using them. They not only rearrange your organs, but they limit your air supply. Proper breath control is crucial to any form of fitness training
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to look this up because the first thing I think of when I read "waist training clinchers" is foot binding.
  • bugsybanks
    Options
    Thanks ladies. That's what I thought. I stay away from things like that.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    WTF? People are training wearing these things? smh

I suppose they are like extreme Spanx but doing a workout is crazy and dangerous. In the Victorian times women even went through pregnancy wearing this nonsense garment. Just imagine what it is doing to your internal organs.

Stupid is as stupid does.

jQWDX.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    this is the girdle thingy? saw some guy wearing it on a tv show called 'love prison' lol. it was just hilarious because he was otherwise very macho. wouldn't be surprised if they are actually fairly common place amongst the Mr Olympia wannabe crowd. He said he basically wore it 24/7. while he slept and worked out.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

So I've noticed that the new "IT" thing to do is waist training. Everyone has purchased the waist training clinchers (I think that's what they're called). I have questions: Anyone actually use them? If so what type of exercise are you doing? Those who lift heavy and do crossfit have you used them?

Thanks =)

Don't 'waist' your time.

See what I did there?
  • bugsybanks
    Options
    lol Thanks guys
  • rachaelps
    rachaelps Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kim Kardashian is promoting them.....enough said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Thanks =)

1 - who's "everyone?"

2 - I seriously doubt you will find anyone who is genuinely into fitness using these things...
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Call waist trainers what they are....CORSETS.

Corset training can be harmful. They will restrict any type of movement in your midsection. Your lungs and bowels will be restricted which can cause constipation or infection. They can cause bruising and rib pain.

Not worth it.

*Edited for grammar
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Call waist trainers what they are....CORSETS.

Corset training can be harmful. They will restrict any type of movement in your midsection. Your lungs and bowels will be restricted which can cause constipation or infection. They can cause bruising and rib pain.

Not worth it.

*Edited for grammar

well- there is technically a difference between the two. so no corset =/= waist trainer.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    what's the difference?
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Thanks =)

Don't 'waist' your time.

See what I did there?

hilarious!!!!

• JoRocka
    Options
    what's the difference?

waist trainers are designed to literally "train your waist" they are meant to be worn for extended periods of time- and you condition yourself to wearing them with actual literally transition periods.

Corsets are the old fashioned equivalent of spanx or control top panties- put it on= cinch it up- take it off when you're done.

You can google it corset vs waist trainer- comes right up.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    the only time I've used a waist "cincher" was for 2 days after I had my daughter.. It was the worst decision ever.. your body is created to shrink on its own. Let's just say I had the worst pain ever when I came to using the restroom.. :s
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well I'm gonna go on a little rant here because there's been too many posts about this lately lol.

Sadly, it is a thing. And because the recommendation the companies give is to work out with it on for it to work, idiots really think it's making them lose weight when the reality is that it's exercise and the decision to diet. It does nothing for you. It doesn't create abs. The only effect it has on your waist is temporary aesthetics and weight loss because you started working out / dieting. If you press down on a foam ball, it will indeed get flat, but it will obviously come back to it's regular size. That's all these things do. You leave it on long enough to press and it sticks for a hot minute. There's literally no point to it other than very temporary adjustments.

And the saddest part of all is that Kim Kardashian made it blow up as a trend with stupid women's magazines writing articles about how it does work. Kim is the last person anyone should take advice from. The girl doesn't work out, she gets plastic surgery, lives by spanx, and crash diets for short periods of time. The most effort to live a healthy lifestyle she does is staged photographs of her leaving fake visits to the gym.

*yes I pay way too much attention to gossip blogs*
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    Well I'm gonna go on a little rant here because there's been too many posts about this lately lol.

Sadly, it is a thing. And because the recommendation the companies give is to work out with it on for it to work, idiots really think it's making them lose weight when the reality is that it's exercise and the decision to diet. It does nothing for you. It doesn't create abs. The only effect it has on your waist is temporary aesthetics and weight loss because you started working out / dieting. If you press down on a foam ball, it will indeed get flat, but it will obviously come back to it's regular size. That's all these things do. You leave it on long enough to press and it sticks for a hot minute. There's literally no point to it other than very temporary adjustments.

And the saddest part of all is that Kim Kardashian made it blow up as a trend with stupid women's magazines writing articles about how it does work. Kim is the last person anyone should take advice from. The girl doesn't work out, she gets plastic surgery, lives by spanx, and crash diets for short periods of time. The most effort to live a healthy lifestyle she does is staged photographs of her leaving fake visits to the gym.

*yes I pay way too much attention to gossip blogs*

Yes I totally agree. It's sad seeing so many people posting pictures of the waist training.. Also another fad that I hate is the weighted hoola hoop.. Also risks damage on organs but some people swear by it.