Veggi help.

Options
Alright fitness peeps, help me out. I hate cooked veggies, and dont like many raw. But my doctor says that I need to up my veggi intake. Ideas?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Learn to like veggies.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    learn to like veggies + green smoothies. :D
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't like the way they were cooked while you were growing up or don't like certain cooking methods. There are multitudes of vegetables out there and countless ways to prepare them.

Keep trying different varieties of vegetables until you DO find ones you like. I guarantee that if you open your mind and expand your horizons you 'll no longer proclaim that you "don't like vegetables".
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What does "cooked" mean? How do you cook them? Which veggies do you cook?

I love vegetables. There are so many ways to cook different vegetables: baked, sauteed, roasted, grilled, steamed, fried, etc etc.

Try everything. I recently learned I love roasted brussels sprouts tossed in olive and balsamic oil with salt. I really like broccoli with onion, lemon, and basil over pasta with feta. Baby spinach tastes amazing with walnuts and cranberry vinaigrette. Bell pepper and onion taste amazing mixed in with egg in an omelette or fritata or quiche.
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    there are a few i like, I just want to broaden my scopes. uncooked carrots, broccoli, and kale are okay. But I want to be able to expand it so as to not get bored.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Spice it up and 'hide it' in foods.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Partially cooked veggies? ha :)

Try putting something yummy on it! I love steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese. Just don't over cook the broccoli, or it gets mushy! Or eat raw veggies with something you do like, like hummus or another kind of dip. Hide raw veggies in a sandwich you really like. If you mask them with what you do want to eat, it might help!
  • bobbichristine
    Options
    Spice it up and 'hide it' in foods.

tell me how to spice it up my friend.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, veggies roasted in oven with little olive oil and seasonings like Mrs Dash is the bomb. It makes them so much sweeter. I also saw on cooking show where she cut up cauliflower small and cooked like a stir fry with soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, green onions. Another option for a happy medium. You can make eggplant parm. Slice eggplant, salt and sit to pull out some bitterness. Roast in oven. Top with marinara and cheese. Zucchini is good like this also. Good luck!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    In my opinion, veggies roasted in oven with little olive oil and seasonings like Mrs Dash is the bomb. It makes them so much sweeter. I also saw on cooking show where she cut up cauliflower small and cooked like a stir fry with soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, green onions. Another option for a happy medium. You can make eggplant parm. Slice eggplant, salt and sit to pull out some bitterness. Roast in oven. Top with marinara and cheese. Zucchini is good like this also. Good luck!

This is how I got my husband to eat the veggies that he didn't really like. I have also tried different ways to cook them. I recently tried a buffalo cauliflower one I found and it was super yummy!

• bobbichristine
    Options

I cant have that much dairy, it makes me sick. and I like spicy and salty more then sweet. any idea how to achieve that with veggies?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try new veggies, see what you like.

Hide veggies in other things.

Google for more recipes.
  • shepherdee
    Options
    this.

• scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second roasting veggies in the oven. It almost gives them a sweet taste. Holy cow, I love roasted cauliflower and broc! Just toss with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. So awesome!
  • bobbichristine
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll give some a try!
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Zucchini layered lasagna is a good way to get some veggies without the pasta.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are awesome. I also really like certain veggies grilled!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    get over it and eat them anyway.
  • bobbichristine
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    get over it and eat them anyway.

Why even post on something, to be unhelpful.
    Thanks anyways.