High intensity interval training for all ages and weights.

Options
2»

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    any variance is beneficial but to determine if you are doing it right or not go back to the basic description you should be breathing hard at the peak of the interval and then back to close to normal at the low.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    For me, this is the best way to go because I can combine my cardio and strength training into one workout and blast away 800 calories in 45 minutes. I love, love, love my interval timer! AWESOME POST!!!! I love reading your stuff...so informative. Thanks!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump for the late nighters.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A clarification needs to be made- there's a HUGE difference between HIIT and regular Interval training. The main difference? HIIT stands for HIGH INTENSITY Interval Training. Meaning that during the working phase of the session, you should be working at about 90-95% of your max heart rate. In other words, the working phase of the session would equate to ALL-OUT, MAXIMUM EFFORT sprints, to get your heart rate as high as it can. As a result, most people can only work at such a level for 10-12 minutes maximum. Very athletic types can get into the 12-15 minute range, and only elite level athletes can go longer than 15 minutes. So, with this in mind, if you can go past 10 minutes and you're NOT breathing heavy, you simply are NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH.

Now, I'm not trying to scare anyone with this, but the distinction DOES need to be made. HIIT is not for the faint of heart and it does require you to work incredibly hard and be mentally resilient. But, it's incredibly effective for considering how little time it requires and, like weight training, it's infinitely adaptable. You can increase the difficulty as you progress over time, changing either the duration of the work phase, rest phase or both. For absolute beginners, I'd recommend a mere 10 minutes:

00:00 Warm up - 5 minutes
    05:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    05:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    06:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    06:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    07:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    07:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    08:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    08:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    09:00 Cool Down - 1 minute

Once you've done this for a few weeks, you can add more intervals to increase the intensity.

Also, I'm in no way trying to knock standard interval cardio, either. In and of itself, it is much more efficient at burning bodyfat than standard, steady-state cardio. However, it shouldn't be confused for HIIT.

Good= Steady-State Cardio
    Better= Interval Cardio
    Best= HIIT
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    A clarification needs to be made- there's a HUGE difference between HIIT and regular Interval training. The main difference? HIIT stands for HIGH INTENSITY Interval Training. Meaning that during the working phase of the session, you should be working at about 90-95% of your max heart rate. In other words, the working phase of the session would equate to ALL-OUT, MAXIMUM EFFORT sprints, to get your heart rate as high as it can. As a result, most people can only work at such a level for 10-12 minutes maximum. Very athletic types can get into the 12-15 minute range, and only elite level athletes can go longer than 15 minutes. So, with this in mind, if you can go past 10 minutes and you're NOT breathing heavy, you simply are NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH.

Now, I'm not trying to scare anyone with this, but the distinction DOES need to be made. HIIT is not for the faint of heart and it does require you to work incredibly hard and be mentally resilient. But, it's incredibly effective for considering how little time it requires and, like weight training, it's infinitely adaptable. You can increase the difficulty as you progress over time, changing either the duration of the work phase, rest phase or both. For absolute beginners, I'd recommend a mere 10 minutes:

00:00 Warm up - 5 minutes
    05:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    05:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    06:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    06:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    07:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    07:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    08:00 Sprint -15 seconds
    08:15 Walk/Jog - 45 seconds
    09:00 Cool Down - 1 minute

Once you've done this for a few weeks, you can add more intervals to increase the intensity.

Also, I'm in no way trying to knock standard interval cardio, either. In and of itself, it is much more efficient at burning bodyfat than standard, steady-state cardio. However, it shouldn't be confused for HIIT.

Good= Steady-State Cardio
    Better= Interval Cardio
    Best= HIIT
    High intensity varies in definition from one to the next, for example a 300 pounds man that is 5ft tall will have to work just as hard as a 6ft tall man who weighs 200 pounds to get to a 5 mph jog. So no it does not need clarification at all, what it needs is proper application.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    bump
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think that both of you have valid points, and now I have a better idea of what I'm doing...I'm doing interval training, not HIIT. I understand now that I'm running, not sprinting. And as it was said, my sprint is not going to be anyone else's sprint, but that's not what matters--it's the effort that matters.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    bump
  • dltldisney
    dltldisney Posts: 9
    Options
    bump
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    bump