Options
2»

Replies

• holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    Um I actually think you can burn a lot of calories lifting, rabbitjb . OP - there is probably a more accurate way to measure your burn, but one option is to log your lifting under the cardiovascular section as "calisthenics" - that will estimate calories just like it will for walking or biking or whatever. Think of the strength section as just a way to keep track of weight lifted and reps/sets done as that section will not add any calorie burn.

No you really don't burn that much.

HRMs are for steady state cardio and won't be accurate for lifting and going by the MFP database is pretty off-base from my experience

Compared to what? You really don't burn that much doing 30 minutes of steady state power walking either.

To the OP, just find the low end of what you would burn for a specific amount of time for someone your size and use that. It takes a lot of energy to lift heavy things. Also Compound movements burn more than isolation exercises.

There is also some rough calculations you can use. I always take whatever number I get and divide it in half
    (METs x 3.5 x weight in kilograms ÷ 200) x duration in minutes = calories burned.

For example when I squat I am lifting at least twice my body weight. I do 2 warm up sets and then 5 sets of 5. I don't even count the warm ups but my calories burned is about 210.

After squats its two to three more compound exercises. That would put my estimated calories in the gym for an hour around 300-600. I input 200 and leave it at that. I'd rather underestimate and not screw with weight loss goals too much. If its actually more than that then good for me, I seriously doubt its less than that.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Eh, for every half hour of lifting, I log 25 calories burned. There's no way I can get exact enough to figure out the exact number of minutes I was lifting (vs resting between lifts), how much of an afterburn I'm getting, bleh bleh. Log your weight training however you'd like. If you eat back your calories and notice you're not losing as fast as you should, recalculate.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eh, for every half hour of lifting, I log 25 calories burned. There's no way I can get exact enough to figure out the exact number of minutes I was lifting (vs resting between lifts), how much of an afterburn I'm getting, bleh bleh. Log your weight training however you'd like. If you eat back your calories and notice you're not losing as fast as you should, recalculate.

/thread.

can we all move on now?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    so lifting is a regular part of my workout regiment. When I logged the strength training in, it does not show calories burned. I use an FT for polar watch. Is there anyway to manually punch in your calories?

HRM is as accurate as your going to get! ... everyone always says they are inaccurate... but there is nothing else out there unless you get hooked up to a breathing apparatus and have a million sensors... anyone have one? No didn't think so ...so stop saying they are inaccurate when they are the only thing out there.

Basically use a HRM if you want something that is as close as you will ever get. You can also use the website and just track "weight lifting" and it guestimates a calorie burn. Just choose and stick with 1 method.
  • tami_andrews
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    strangles the word 'journey' grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Life is a journey and weight loss is part of my journey in life.

I'm not here for drama not interested in snide or rude comments. Thanks for the input.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    strangles the word 'journey' grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Life is a journey and weight loss is part of my journey in life.

I'm not here for drama not interested in snide or rude comments. Thanks for the input.

This is just because the word Journey is over used here. Why anyone would bother getting actually upset about it is beyond me though.