How to get past a weight loss plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    cross that bridge if it comes. focus on now. best wishes on your WOE.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Do it by changing up your type of exercise when the plateau hits. giving your body a new and different challenge.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    why worry about what might not happen? Instead concentrate on today and tomorrow. Track accurately. eat at a deficit and exercise more.

^^ this, no sense in worrying about what ifs.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No need to get ahead of yourself and psyche yourself out. Just take it one day at a time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I worried about climbing a mountain, because I've heard some people trip a few times when they are learning the ropes.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about why I wasn't starting today and what going to my boyfriends house had to do with my fitness goals.

I agree with this.
    Start when you are ready, and understand that this isn't about deprivation.
    But it seems to me that you are already setting yourself up for failure. You're worried about plateaus, your plan includes a day "off" and proper portion sizes and you're already saying you can't have success while at your boyfriend's house.

There are some great sticky threads in the Getting Started section that I highly recommend and say more than I can retype here. But some basics include understanding calories in/calories out, and learning how to deal with challenges, such as being around high calories choices or temptations.

Sincere good luck. You'll find more success if you start off confident and knowledgeable. Don't stress about plateaus. I'm 8 months in and haven't had a single week's change that I couldn't attribute to basic caloric math.
  • NikiSchurzFitness
    Options
    Don't stress out about plateaus. They happen for some people, it's normal...it's your body doing it's job and regulating your metabolism based on what you provide it. Just stay consistent, keep track of your measurements and how you feel in your clothes. The scale is not always the best teller of your diet/fitness efforts. I just listened to a great podcast from Chalene Johnson (Chalene Show) she had some cool little tricks to try. Such as increasing your calories by a couple hundred one day, and decreasing them by the same number the next day to get your body "un-stuck." Highly recommend looking that up--once you need it. Until then--rock on lady!! Good for you for making changes happen. Just keep going :-)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Most "plateaus", at least in my experience, aren't really a stall. I went six months without losing any weight, just up and down the same 2-3 pounds over and over - BUT, during that time I was losing inches, and dropped a full size. My scale was messing with my head, telling me I wasn't making progress, but I continued to exercise and eat right, and I made friends with my measuring tape. :smile:

If you're active and eating the right number of cals on a consistent basis, the overall trend is going to be successful weight loss. Some weeks and months you'll see bigger losses, both on the scale and tape, and sometimes it may be more subtle and inches coming off. Stick with it, don't put too much stock in the normal fluctuations of the scale....take progress photos (no one has to see them but you!) and track measurements.

Good luck!

This! I welcome plateaus. My body redistributes its fat so that I can lose more. The worst thing ever is to lose 50 lbs and only shift a size. My last 2 month plateau I dropped 3 jean sizes with minimal loss (just the same 10 pounds that I fluctuate).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1) Try not to worry about something that hasn't and may never happen.

2) If it does happen - start with the basics. Make sure you are still logging as accurately and as completely as you can. Make sure the intensity of your workouts is still high (as you get in better shape, activities that were once difficult will get easier - you have to consciously make them more difficult to keep the challenge/intensity high).