Swimmers in here please!

monkeybu
monkeybu Posts: 34
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there, I've just joined my local swimming centre and went swimming yesterday for the first time in years and years and years - in fact I haven't got into a pool to swim laps since I was a kid, so it was a shock to the system to say the least! I managed 1250m (50laps) yesterday but it took me an hour and I couldn't swim continuously for that long so I ended up swimming 2 laps then having a 15sec break, then swimming 2 laps etc. My arms were like jelly afterwards and very stiff and sore today, although I've felt worse.

So anyway, I'm after any tips or advice I can get with regards to swimming for fitness and improving stamina. I have a long term goal of doing the Auckland Harbour ocean swim, but that's a long way away and I'll need to be able to swim long distances AND in the ocean obviously.

I will probably get some one on one coaching at some point to help me with my technique, but in the meantime anything I can find out from any keen swimmers would be a great help! Cheers

Replies

• AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    I tried out this site called swim plan you get free swim programmes to suit your goals and needs. I like it because it changes things up a bit I can't just swim up and down I get board too quick then wanna get out lol ... but this incorporates sprint training, kick, plus all strokes you just do what suits you and it comes up with a work out. You get one free programme a week and you can up the intensity etc as you like.

http://www.swimplan.com/index.php

thats the link :) check it out see what you think.

I love swimming I want to build up to a 4k lake swim next feb thats my swimming goal :) ... so far I havent been back in the pool for weeks but now is a good a time as any to get back to it! .. I use to do competitive swimming as a kid and I hate that my fitness is so bad now when I remeber how easy it all was back then lol
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Just keep doing it. It will eventually increase your stamina by repetition. I started swimming 30 minutes at a time. I am Diabetic and overweight so it's a great way to get my sugar down and have an all over body workout. I kept doing this and slowly increased my time. I now do an hour of continuous swimming. Of course I am a slow swimmer, but I never ever stop now. Don't over do it. Build up to it or you will have a bad sore day and will never want to return! It takes time to get our bodies out of shape. It takes time to get them back. Set weekly goals to get you motivated.
  • monkeybu
    Great! Thanks Aqua for that link, I'll check it out for sure, and thanks for the advice noctuary, I will be careful.
  • monkeybu
    Cool, I just signed up to swimplan and got my first workout, it looks like a challenge! Off to the pool tomorrow - wish me luck!
  • rosechui
    rosechui Posts: 5
    I am glad to here someone who like swim. (Actually, I seldom find swimmer here.)
    I started my swim plan last Aug, with breast stroke, 30 minute, with 15 sec break on each lap. 2-3 times a week.
    And then I learn freestyle by myself, at first , I can just only swim 1/2 lap. I watch many video from youtube to improve my swimming skill.
    Now, I swim regularly, 5 times a week, 60 minutes, non-stop 2KM freestyle. (It is very slow for freestyle. ) I won't swim fast as it make me tired and don't want to swim next day. My target is to make my body to exercise and burn fat, it will be useful to keep a mild exercise for longer time instead of too strong exercise.
    Make sure you can swim non-stop, no matter how long its keep.
    Remember to mind your appetite, as many ppl feel very hungry after swim.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    I love swimmng I just hate getting into togs he he he (togs = swimsuit) ... I'm down for some swimmign buddies ..I was thinking that the other day rosechui there aren't many swimmers about. Cool Monkeybu let me know how it works out for you :D
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    I LOVE SWIMMING as well. I am not the greatest at swimming without taking a break every so many laps. However, it is a wonderful exercise and burns lots of calories. Luckily, my gym is open 24/7 and has indoor and outdoor pools.
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    BUMP!
  • Josie50
    Josie50 Posts: 11
    wow the http://www.swimplan.com/index.php is great! Just what I need to help me with swim training for a triathlon in December 2011. Thanks for posting this topic. :-)
  • monkeybu
    Great to see some other keen swimmers in here too. I went for my second swim today and did another 50laps of freestyle over the course of an hour. Was much the same as Monday - started with 6 laps then went to 2 laps with a short breather in between. The only thing is that my arms are incredibly sore! I will need to take some Voltaren or something before I swim tomorrow or I'll never manage.

I've got a plan from the swimplan site but to be honest I'm probably a couple of weeks away from being able to do it, so I might just carry on with what I'm doing now and get the arms sorted out first, then it's all go! Happy swimming!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    bump!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Ex-swimmer here! Swimming I think is the greatest workout because you gain lean muscle, burn calories, and you don't put much strain on your joints. Keep at it and your endurance is sure to build. I swam competitively since I was 5 years old and when I reached high school I competed at the national level. I wish to get back into the shape I was then and need to find a good pool to get my workouts in. Hopefully I can find a "senior" league (ugh... so old!!) Good luck!!!
  • I have noticed over the past couple of years that swimming is incredibly easy to build stamina quickly. When I started out a couple of years ago, I could barely make it the length of the pool without stopping and gasping for breathe...but within a couple of weeks I was swimming much more consistently.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    I totally love swimming and do it everyday since it has gotten hotter in Fl. I do laps in small sets so that it doesn't seem to monotonous (sp). It gives a great burn and does not seem to bother my knees and back as much as the other excercises I so sometimes. Some days I have to force myself to get out of the pool LOL!!
  • Josie50
    Josie50 Posts: 11
    Great to see some other keen swimmers in here too. I went for my second swim today and did another 50laps of freestyle over the course of an hour. Was much the same as Monday - started with 6 laps then went to 2 laps with a short breather in between. The only thing is that my arms are incredibly sore! I will need to take some Voltaren or something before I swim tomorrow or I'll never manage.

I've got a plan from the swimplan site but to be honest I'm probably a couple of weeks away from being able to do it, so I might just carry on with what I'm doing now and get the arms sorted out first, then it's all go! Happy swimming!
    I managed my first 50 laps today over 70mins,. I am stoked. I agree about the swimplan, it will take a little while to work up to their easy plan!
  • monkeybu
    Did my thing again today and actually shaved 10mins off my time and crammed in an extra 4 laps too, so I definitely think what some of you have been saying is true about building stamina quickly. My arms are nowhere near as sore tonight as they were last night (Thankyou Voltaren!) thank goodness :-)

Great to see so many swimmers on MFP, I wasn't sure what response i'd get because I don't know a single person in my life who swims regularly for health and fitness, but here you all are so yay!
This discussion has been closed.