I wanna start cooking from scratch, need help with my grocery list!!

Options
nicolemviolette
nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
My boyfriend and I made a new year's resolution to change our eating habits. We eat a lot of "bad" things, pre packaged things, processed things.. And a big part of our new years resolution is that I would start cooking from scratch so we KNOW what is in our food. I plan to buy all natural, organic ingredients from my local health food store. I just dont know where to start. I know I will need things like flour, but what else? LOL. Help me make my grocery list!! Some recipes (simple, cheap ones because im on a budget) would also be awesome!

Replies

• Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Get a gas grill and cook veggies, chicken and fish.
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'd start with recipes first and then start building your grocery list. Maybe look into meal planning for the week and add some wiggle room in case you're just not in the mood for a certain meal. Menu planning can save time in the long run if you forget ingredients for a recipe. Are you open to meal prepping? Preparing some grab and go foods like soups or chili that can be frozen are a nice thing to keep on hand or freeze a half batch of whatever soup you make so you don't get bored eating leftovers. I make a simple curry with whatever veggies I have on hand and sub almond milk for the coconut milk. It's tasty, low cal, and again something that freezes well. What sort of foods or cuisines do you enjoy? It would help us make suggestions for you if we know what you like :smile:
  • Gardenprayer
    Gardenprayer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are your fav foods? I would seek healthy recipies from foods you already like and then move onto new recipies once a week or every other week. I favor Culturally diverse cooking so my pantry to all over the place. Maybe if you get recipies then buy ingredients and spices dish specific you will build your pantry and kitchen items overtime. I would be happy to share recipies that fits your taste. I will try to find you and friend you.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooking is da bomb! Definitely my hobby!

After you do it for awhile at home, you'll find the packaged stuff tastes terrible by comparison. Although committing to organic, health food store stuff is an interesting idea, it's not necessary for healthy eating. In fact, in the US, the regulations for labelling are pretty loosey goosey -- so, if you don't know that the farm things came from is really doing good practices, you don't know "how organic" what you are buying is. You might want to read up on it. For me, a good place to start learning what makes up a good diet has been Nutritionsource, especially the Healthy Eating Plate.
    HEPApr2013.jpg

Fell free to friend me or send me messages if you want to pick my brain about cooking.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, I am also having thoughts about planning better.

2 shops a week, Sunday and Wednesday (because most food - steak, chicken breast, etc - is ok raw in the fridge for 3-4 days [not fish, check for things you like]).

Sunday:
    Protein
    - One big hunk of meat (whole chicken, roast beef) to cook for a few days' dinners and lunches. You can put them in sandwiches, burritos, pasta dishes. You could do a chili or bolognese with ground beef, too. Cook this on Sunday
    - One dinner/lunch's worth of another kind of meat (chicken breasts, steak, pork chops) to have "fresh" on one of the days. (When you cook a dinner, make extra so you have some for lunch.) Grill, stir-fry or bake this on the day you want to eat.
    - Some easy grabby stuff, like tuna or ham or sliced turkey, for snacks and maybe lunches
    - Eggs
    - 0 or 2% Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
    - Low-fat cheese

Veg
    - One huge box/bag spinach for salads
    - A couple of cans of beans or lentils to put into salads, pasta dishes or soups
    - 3-4 different other hearty green vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus)
    - 3-4 different hearty orange or red vegetables or fruits (carrots, red peppers, tomatoes)

Fruit
    3-4 fruits per person. Berries have fibre, they're good.

Grainy or carby things
    Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, oatmeal and a grainy cereal (for late night snacks)

Wednesday
    Same thing

You can also get some frozen fish fillets (individually wrapped). And a couple of frozen convenience things (I have frozen meatballs, you could get a lower-fat pizza, whatever).

Sorry, this is obviously not a veggie diet!

So the idea is your menu might look like this:

Breakfast: eggs and toast w tomatoes or sauteed spinach. or ham and cheese toasted.

Lunch: soup with lentils thrown in, or a sandwich and a salad (w beans or lentils thrown in)

Snack: an orange veg or fruit; cottage cheese or yogurt

Dinner: pasta with meat, stir fry w rice, meat w potatoes + a hearty veg

Late snack: oatmeal or cereal, maybe a piece of fruit

That's what I do. I am hoping I'm hitting most of the macro and micronutrients I need this way (hence orange veg - vitamin A and antioxidants).
  • hollyshobie
    Options
    you have a guy in the house so go for the "light bulb and 4 walls" . I mean simple. pick up a crock pot from the goodwill store. put meat in. wait 8-9 hours on low. eat, seasoning and extra's optional.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty drastic change to make all at once. I'd suggest looking at what you eat now -- the packages, the processed whatsits, whatever -- and finding ways to replace some or all of them with homemade things. If you eat a lot of Kraft dinner, try buying elbow noodles, skim milk, and good cheese to make a simple version of your own. If you order pizza three times per week, pick up some premade crusts, pepperoni slices, mozzarella, and canned tomatoes to make your own. If you like those frozen skillet meals, try sauteeing fresh meat and frozen vegetables and adding a bottled sauce. Once you've made this sort of easier switch and gotten into a good groove, you can ramp up the homemade factor(homemade pizza crusts, mix your own sauces, etc.).

Basically, start by making what you already eat. Use convenience items to make some parts of the process easier as you adjust to making better choices and spending time in the kitchen. Progress from there to doing everything from scratch, trying new things, and all that other fun stuff. I promise it'll be easier and less jarring, and that means you'll be more prone to stick with it. :)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Basic Seasonings and cooking oils:
    Sugar
    Salt
    pepper
    Lemon/lemon juice
    Olive oil
    Butter
    Garlic (powder and raw)
    Onion (powder and raw)
    ***garlic and onion can go with just about any dish so it's a must have, imo!

Chicken or vegetable stock for soups or healthy saute (carton or canned).

Your choice of vegetables. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots, leafy greens (for salad), tomatoes, cabbage, etc.

Your choice of meat, seafood, dairy (eggs and cheese), and/or beans/lentils for protein.

Also, rice (white/brown), pasta, oatmeal, whatever you want that particular week.

For basic baking: flour, baking powder and baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and eggs and sugar again!

Fruits: apples, peaches, bananas, grapes, berries, etc are great for snacks and can be used in baking.

Basic breakfast: Bell pepper egg boats (crack two eggs in half of a cleaned out large red bell pepper, salt/pepper it, bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for thirty minutes; at the twenty minute mark, season with dried basil and dump on a lot of cheese; finish baking and serve with a knife, fork and side of chopped fruits.)

Basic dinner: lightly buttered steamed veggies with salted/peppered/oiled broiled chicken or beef.

• jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat as clean as possible and limit processed foods. There are lots of great recipes you can find through Pinterest.

I loaded the fridge with fruits and vegetables and have started flash freezing fruits that are in season.

I made http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/asparagus-and-ham-casserole for dinner... it was delicious and everyone in my family liked it. The sauce was made from scratch and it was better than using a cream of soup base - aka cream of chemicals. I went light on the ham to reduce the sodium and it's already listed so you don't have to create it.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No need to focus only on "All Natural/Organic" as it can get expensive and you can fall into the label trap. Also, All Natural/Organic does not always translate to a healthier & cleaner diet. If I have the choice of store brand vs Nature Made chicken, I go for the nature made of course but don't always need/have that option.

My staples for the week:
    Chicken breast (skinless boneless)
    Big bag of frozen broccoli
    Brown Rice
    Sweet Potatoes
    Carton of eggwhites
    Steal cut oats (buy from bulk section if offered, much cheaper)

Usually done on Sunday night/afternoon, I cook up the carton of eggwhites & steel cut oats, divide into 5 containers - breakfast for the week.

I also cook up the remaining ingredients and divide into meals for 3 days, freeze the extra meals for when I don't have the time to cook (label them w/ dates to avoid freezer burn)

Boom, small, clean meals done. I still have a little bit of room for some diversity like salads, soups, etc.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    This is a pretty drastic change to make all at once. I'd suggest looking at what you eat now -- the packages, the processed whatsits, whatever -- and finding ways to replace some or all of them with homemade things. If you eat a lot of Kraft dinner, try buying elbow noodles, skim milk, and good cheese to make a simple version of your own. If you order pizza three times per week, pick up some premade crusts, pepperoni slices, mozzarella, and canned tomatoes to make your own. If you like those frozen skillet meals, try sauteeing fresh meat and frozen vegetables and adding a bottled sauce. Once you've made this sort of easier switch and gotten into a good groove, you can ramp up the homemade factor(homemade pizza crusts, mix your own sauces, etc.).

Basically, start by making what you already eat. Use convenience items to make some parts of the process easier as you adjust to making better choices and spending time in the kitchen. Progress from there to doing everything from scratch, trying new things, and all that other fun stuff. I promise it'll be easier and less jarring, and that means you'll be more prone to stick with it. :)

This is exactly what I did and have stuck with it for years now. We don't eat out and i make so many more things from scratch.
  • kimberly422
    kimberly422 Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Buy yourself a good cookbook. If you can read, you can cook. Seriously!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

+1. If you aren't used to cooking, trying to do everything from scratch and organic and whatever other arbitrary rules (which are just that - arbitrary)you think you need to follow to be healthy is likely too big of a commitment all at once. Start with cooking once or twice a week or subbing some more whole foods into what you are already doing as avskk suggested. Pre-packaged and processed does not equal "bad" food. There are ways to make things healthier by making small changes but much of what you have described is so drastic, it may not be sustainable. You also mentioned doing all this on a budget. Generally shopping at small, natural foods stores is not the most economical choice either. Not to say that eating healthier has to be cost prohibitive, just that the smaller stores don't have the margins to be able to help keep prices down.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is good for recipes. They give calorie breakdown/carbs and so on. I just invested in a Paderno spiralizer which is a fun. Mmmmm zucchini pasta....
  • MrsKaiser14
    MrsKaiser14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second the above post! I love Skinnytaste, use it all the time. The internet is your friend. Just start a Google search with phrases like: Healthy Cooking Basics and you're off and running! Good luck, I hope you find that you enjoy cooking as much as I do. Cheers!
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a long time to learn how to shop in order to cook everything at home and limit process foods. I echo everyone else who says find baby steps to get you started.

I've also used meal planning services like The Fresh 20 to help me figure out how to craft a grocery list, how to minimize waste, and what to swap out for processed foods.

Maybe start with making dinner twice a week, then adding on packing salads for lunch 3 days a week, then adding in breakfast 4 days a week, or whatever. It really is a learned skill.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lean proteins, fresh frozen veggies (normally cheaper than fresh), and in my opinion number one ingredient is seasonings. You can make most things taste great with right seasonings. Mrs Dash, lemon juice, vinegars, wide variety....

Few staples: eggs, chicken, tenderloin, frozen tilapia or whatever fish you enjoy, yogurt, frozen corn, broccoli, dried beans, olive oil, balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar....
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is good for recipes. They give calorie breakdown/carbs and so on. I just invested in a Paderno spiralizer which is a fun. Mmmmm zucchini pasta....
    I love Skinnytaste's website too! And I got a Paderno spiralizer for Christmas. Can't wait to try the zucchini noodles!!

My advice when trying to make things from scratch is to prep as much as you can in advance. Cut up veggies ahead of time, maybe even cook the meat so it's all ready to throw in when you get home. This helps limit my temptation to go out if I know I'm not going to spend a half hour cutting things up.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There is no need to buy food from health food stores, or organic. Especially when you're on a budget. You can buy ordinary food, the same as you're used to, only less processed. For instance: fruit, oatmeal, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, milk, nuts, yogurt. What are you going to make? What would you like to eat? You will need ingredients for that. Google recepies and write grocery lists. You don't need to get everything at once, try some things first, maybe you decide you don't want some things even before you've bought it. I don't have flour, for instance, as I don't bake, I eat a lot of other stuff instead.
  • sazikpr
    sazikpr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I switched to oatmeal and/or fruits for breakfast and large salads for lunch in the beginning, which were both easy changes to make. I stocked up on fruits, veggies, raw nuts, and healthier snacks. I cut out most mindless snacking, but love popcorn, so I switched to a healthier option and watch my portions. I stocked up on mason jars in different sizes and freeze everything in perfect portion sizes. It's been a lifesaver to cook in bulk. I don't like to cook. I go one recipe at a time. I made 5 vegetable soups until I found one that I love and I keep a list of it's ingredients. I make a large batch and freeze it. Once you find recipes you love , it will be easier to find what staples you use most. I figure out what I want for dinner for the week and make a list from there. I keep a loaf of whole grain bread in my freezer for when I want a sandwich (I switched to hummus as a spread), always have dried beans (and canned for emergencies), canned tomatoes (for when fresh aren't good or available), Italian seasoning, cinnamon, spinach (for smoothies), and enough veggies for a salad. I freeze my smoothie fruits in the portions I need them. Convenience is key for me. I need a separate freezer at this point...mine currently has stockpiles of veggie soup, cooked beans, an oatmeal and baked fruit combo, a minestrone soup (didn't turn out so hot, but I refuse to throw it away), and frozen fruit. It seemed overwhelming at first for me, but I now get so excided when I make something new that turns out great!