I am SO hungry!

Options
2»

Replies

• LegendaryOutlaw
    Options
    6'0" cw:183 lbs and trying to eat ~1280 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm just trying to enjoy the hunger and drinking tons of water. I never log all the water but it's probably 12 cups a day. I'm trying to avoid carbs because they just make me more hungry.

Enjoy the hunger of eating too little to provide nutrition for an inactive male? OK ...

I've been more active since eating less calories and feel immensely better. My lifts are progressing as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You can either exercise more, to earn more calories, or you can make your goal less aggressive. The winner here eats the most and still loses. What's the rush?
  • Mariianacecy
    Options
    BE A BUNNY! eat lost of lettuce, cucumber and jicama and whatever vegetables you like :)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Are you exercising? That should give you the extra calories you need.

I'm 5'10" and 237 pounds. I'm set to lose 1 1/2 pounds per week at 1510 calories daily. However, with an extra 1-2 hours of exercise daily, I typically eat around 1800-2000 a day.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like. I started at 282+.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Set your protein higher and carbs lower. I tend to be more hungry on days I eat more carbs than protein. Today, for example, I had a small subway turkey sub for lunch and was starving by supper.

This works for me too. Definitely helps to tame the beast.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    We're all different, so I hesitate to offer personal anecdotes. But that won't stop me. ☺ I started out as a 260 pound male eating at 1300 to 1400 calories, without eating back exercise calories. I can truthfully say that I was never hungry, but I also was rarely full. To hold down the calories, I had to give up the "unbuckle the pants to make room for more" sense of fullness. Beyond that, you have to spend your calories very carefully. Everything has to deliver a lot of volume (vegetables) or nutrient bang for your buck. After about 40 pounds, I upped my calories about 25%, but I still spend calories very carefully.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Commgirl1 wrote: »
    Brian,

A) Thanks for begins so supportive :P

B) The first two days I just wrote down what I was eating normally; the last three days I was trying to stay at the roughly 1,550 mark and (as you so helpfully pointed out) coming in more around 2,000. But the hunger issue is the reason for that. I plan out my meals the day before and work it out so it'll be about 1,500 calories. I do fine right through dinner (which is like 6 lets say). But then I'm still starving and out of calories so I end up going over on snacks in the evening.

Are you actually "starving" and hungry or are you just used to mindlessly snacking/eating and eating out of boredom.

Also, getting in some regular exercise will give you more calories to work with. Further, keep in mind that 2 lbs per week is an aggressive goal...it doesn't sound like much, but it's roughly a 1,000 calorie cut from your theoretical maintenance...that's huge. Also remember that even if you go over your calorie goal, you are still in a weight loss deficit so long as you don't exceed it by more than 1,000 calories.

For satiety, look to protein and dietary fat and lots of veggies for volume. Grains, pastas, rice, starchy veggies, etc will likely need to be consumed in lesser amounts than normal considering they are calorically dense and really don't keep you satiated for long.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can truthfully say that I was never hungry, but I also was rarely full. To hold down the calories, I had to give up the "unbuckle the pants to make room for more" sense of fullness.

OMG, I could have written this.

Just...this. So this.

I used to think "full" meant I literally couldn't cram another bite in. Now just a few months in, I feel blurghhhhhhhh at the thought of stuffing myself. I overate pretty significantly a couple of times over the holidays and I was like, "Oh yeah. I forgot. This actually feels like cr*p!"

But before that time, I would panic that I "wasn't full" if I didn't feel like I was literally filled up...to the brim. If I couldn't...feel my stomach pushing out, sort of. (Hard to explain.) A consequence of all those "Eat as much as you want as long as it's only food category X!" diets, I imagine.

Now I eat because I want to be satisfied, not because I want to literally not have room for one crumb more. Vast improvement and I have learned that "I can actually still move around and don't have to take my pants off" is what feeling "done" with a meal feels like!

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you have no joint troubles, vigorous exercise can help blunt hunger. I've been jogging, and using 30 Day Shred as an interval program. I'm generally not that hungry, but if I've been really active (earned over 1000 calories in exercise that day), I eat an extra 200 calories to bring me up to 1400.

Hunger was the worst for me in the first few days. Tolerating the hunger helped my body to adjust to feel full on less food. Now when I get hungry (like after a splurge day) I remind myself that I can feel hungry, and hold on for just a day or so, and then my body will adjust and the hunger will go away.

Some foods make me feel like I don`t want to eat anymore, even though I like the taste. Brown rice and yogurt are examples (not together). If I was really hungry at the start of my diet, I would have a couple of tablespoons of either, and then I would be fine not eating. If that wasn't working, I would have a glass of water and wait 15 minutes. If that wasn't working, I would do something active, like chores or a workout, to delay the hunger until my next planned meal.

I've been very careful to hit my RDAs for iron and calcium this diet. I believe that staying away from a micro deficit has helped keep my hunger in check.

Good luck :)