Hypoglycemic/blood sugar issues

Options
Hi all,
Today I was right on track calorie wise, lots of small snacks the last of which was a chobani yogurt (high protein) at 3pm. At 5:30pm picking up my kids from school, I got another extreme case of shakiness/dizziness. If I listen to my body and eat say a cheesesteak for lunch it will hold me through but when I attempt to restrict calories, even carefully spacing meals/snacks I'm often left in a situation where I'm not safe to drive my kids. I've been told I am hypoglycemic but am not diabetic. Does anyone else experience these issues? I'm thinking load up on high protein snacks at 4pm and have a lighter dinner? This is difficult since I eat whatever dinner I'm making for my family. Does anyone have any recommendations for high protein/low calorie snacks? MFP has put me at 1340 daily goal.

Thanks for reading MFP friends and good luck with your journeys!

Replies

• dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, then I grab cheese/sugar whatever immediately when I walk in the door so I can move on and feel normal.
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Im also hypoglycemic. Talk with your doc about a meal plan that will work. Maybe eat smaller meals more frequently. Keep protien heavy snacks on you too. Best of luck!
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Thank you ericah971! Do you have any high protein/low cal snack recommendations? I'm thinking eat as much as feasible between 4pm - 5pm? Unfortunately this is well before our family dinner at 6:30-7pm.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Try Quest bars, high protein and only 160 calories (less if you only eat half). I usually keep one in my handbag for when my blood sugar starts dropping. It is a horrible feeling.
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Thanks chatnel! I thought a chobani yogurt would do it but I guess not- I'll give those a try!
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Wow! 20g of protein for 160 calories? That's awesome! I'm guessing more protein is the fix for my issue.
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Chatnel, what's your favorite flavor?
  • ericah971
    Options
    I like nuts and eggs. Tuna is great. I also drink lean shakes from gnc (chocolate flavor) and it is amazing! My fave snack is almond or peanut butter on a banana. Keeps you full too.
  • ericah971
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have chronic hypoglycemia (the non-diabetic kind). Losing weight/dieting with hypoglycemia is extremely difficult but it's not impossible. You have to be extra cautious about your food choices and meal timing.

My dietician recommends the following:
    • 15-30 grams of carbs per meal
    • No more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    • Eat every 3-4 hours (or sooner if need be)
    • Eat protein with every meal
    • Never eat carbohydrates without protein or fat
    • Eat 5 servings of non-starchy veggies a day
    • Limit fruit to 2 servings a day
    • Never drive if your blood sugar is less than 70 mg/dL
    • Don't workout unless your blood sugar is at least 100 mg/dL
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Perhaps consider increasing your daily calorie goal for now.
  • chatnel
    Options
    Chatnel, what's your favorite flavor?

Cookie dough, PB or choc chunk.

Lately have been trying to make my own, with chia, protein powder, caocao, coconut oil etc. Not as good as store bought but much cheaper and healthier.
  • chatnel
    Options
    I try and eat low carb high protein and avoid fruits and sugars too. I also try and not eat until as late as possible in the morning as once my system is "switched on" I need to eat every 2-3 hours and hard to keep under 1400 calories.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have had hypoglycemia for years. The first thing that struck me, was the yogurt. While it is high in protein, it also contains sugar, so that may have been the culprit.

I find that a handful of almonds does the trick. Good protein and easy to carry with me.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I found hitting a minimum of 80g of protein daily (usually more) helps to even out my blood sugar lows. I had had this problem even when gaining weight if I didn't eat frequently but now can eat much less (a healthy maintenance amount) and don't get these hypoglycemic symptoms. I would not suggest a low sugar diet though. You may need the sugar if your blood sugar is going low without diabetes (best to get a doctor's advice on that).
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!

ericah971: Your food diary is inspirational! I'll work on cutting down on the carbs. Unfortunately I do not like eggs or tuna and tend to overeat with nuts/peanut butter since they are so yummy. I'll look for some precooked meats and I'm trying out whole black beans for a 4pm snack today.

chatnel: I'll definitely try those Quest bars, thanks! Interesting what you said about waiting as long as possible to eat until your body has "switched on". I like eating a light breakfast first thing but will try to limit snacks until the afternoon which is when I really need it.

fatfreefrolicking: Thank you so much for including details learned from your dietician. I really appreciate the input and will work on putting these into practice and see how it goes. Meal timing is super important to me. I need to eat a late family dinner at 7pm so will try eating a high protein snack at 4pm to prevent shakes at this time. Also I'll try eating protein and carbs together instead of spacing out each snack to eat more often which is what I was doing.

Rodarose: Thank you! Good advice! I'm experimenting this week with what/when to eat to feel good and am not worrying too much about calories.

pdxwine: Good point about the yogurt! It does have sugar- I can switch to the stevia version for fewer calories also.

sassymanatee: I have talked to my doctor in the past and was on Metformin for a couple of years until I became pregnant with my 2 girls. I'd rather be prescription drug free but it did help.

Azurite27: Thank you for the info- I will definitely try to up my protein.

• Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not diagnosed but sometimes have problems with reactive low blood sugar. I also like to delay breakfast for awhile before the "clock starts" and I have to eat more frequently. IDK why not eating doesn't trip issues. I also find I'm much more likely to have problems if I have a meal that is high in carbs and low in protein. I am usually pretty good about avoiding them now, but today had an issue. I ate Wheaties for breakfast today at 8:30 and was shaking/clammy/starving by 11:45.
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Hi Pascal56- sounds like a similar symptom to what I see. Sometimes if I eat a large amount of only carbs the crash is extreme a couple of hours later. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
  • dylangrrrrl
    Options
    Hi gang, I could also drink more water. I know lots of water is super good for you but do you know if it helps blood sugar issues specifically?