Mirena and abdominal weight

Options
I had my son last May, and only gained 11 pounds my entire pregnancy. I was active and ate well the entire 9 months. Once he was born, I immediately dropped all the weight, plus a few. As I was breastfeeding, more came off. Then in July, I got Mirena and everything switched.

In the 11 months I've had the IUD, I have gained 20+ lbs, and it mostly sits around my abdomen. I feel and look pregnant, feel bloated, tired and irritable. My sex drive is non-existant. No matter what I eat, how I exercise, my weight stays the same.

Has anyone else had this issue with Mirena? Did you have it removed, and if so, did it help???

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and i have lost 40 pounds while nursing. I hear this is common for alot of people though, as everyone is different. Just depends how your body reacts.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy on it switch to another method. Not everything suits everyone.

My health professionals keep asking me ifI've thought about IUDs etc instead of pills, but I'm happy with what I'm taking - I know I'm getting to the end of being allowed it, but while I CAN have it I will, especially as I don't smoke and am no longer (much) overweight.
  • ThankfulinVT
    ThankfulinVT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and gained 30 lbs. It's harder to keep weight off than it ever has been.
  • RedAthenaSpell
    RedAthenaSpell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had a similar experience plus my blood pressure went up and I could feel the change. After two months I went back to my physician and she took my blood pressure and removed the Mirena immediately. I had gained about ten pounds and felt bloated and puffy all the time. The weight didn't come off right away but my blood pressure went back to normal quickly. My body did not feel like my own...if it doesn't feel right in your body get rid of it.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had a similar experience plus my blood pressure went up and I could feel the change. After two months I went back to my physician and she took my blood pressure and removed the Mirena immediately. I had gained about ten pounds and felt bloated and puffy all the time. The weight didn't come off right away but my blood pressure went back to normal quickly. My body did not feel like my own...if it doesn't feel right in your body get rid of it.

I agree! I told my girlfriends last week that I don't feel like I belong in my body! I feel a big disconnect.
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had mineral removed 11 month ago.I gained a lot of weight with it my breasts were lactating I had mood swings and panic attacks. Now I am slowly getting back to normal my cycles aren't regular yet but at least I am not gaining any more weight. I guess it takes time for your body to readjust.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I had my son last May, and only gained 11 pounds my entire pregnancy. I was active and ate well the entire 9 months. Once he was born, I immediately dropped all the weight, plus a few. As I was breastfeeding, more came off. Then in July, I got Mirena and everything switched.

In the 11 months I've had the IUD, I have gained 20+ lbs, and it mostly sits around my abdomen. I feel and look pregnant, feel bloated, tired and irritable. My sex drive is non-existant. No matter what I eat, how I exercise, my weight stays the same.

Has anyone else had this issue with Mirena? Did you have it removed, and if so, did it help???

So far I've lost 53 pounds and still have mirena, which I've had a year, so....no.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This was basically me. Plus migraines and acne. I had it removed and things went back to normal, and I was ultimately able to lose the weight. I know that for me the 10-15lbs was at least partly water, but that didn't help me deal with it. When I was scheduled for the insertion, I knew that weight gain was common so I started watching what I ate. I was essentially dieting while I had it, but the scale still went up.

It really seems to depend on the person.
  • wteachwo
    wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Steadily losing weight and have had the Mirena in for a year. Everyone's body can react differently to different methods. For instance, I bloated like no tomorrow on hormonal birth control pills, but bloating with my Mirena is limited to right before when I would be normally getting my period. So, YMMV.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and am losing weight. I have had it for 8 years. (I'm on my second one.)
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been losing ( and gaining) weight regularly with a Mirena. The total random pms symptoms are another story all together, though!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lost 105 pounds with Mirena in. I've not been happy with my midsection, but working through 30 Day Shred is helping. :)
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second mirena. I've lost weight by tracking my calories and lifting weight while on Mirena see profile pic. Everyone is different. I love my mirena and I love not having a period.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my IUD - no weight gain (with actual weight loss for the first time in yeearrs). It really depends on your body!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I did - because I got pregnant on it. Haven't used it since......
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for (almost) 5 years; having it replaced next month. I've lost 44lbs, feel great and LOVE not having a period!!
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for (almost) 5 years; having it replaced next month. I've lost 44lbs, feel great and LOVE not having a period!!

668063607126353324.gif
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Lots of women have problems because of the hormones. Which is why I got Paraguard about 3 years ago. Copper, non-hormonal, wonderful. First few months I was crampy and spotty, but that all went away and I am regular as clockwork and NORMAL. It's nice to be me again after so many years of BC pills.
  • Linseytuttle5
    Options
    I too have the Mirena and I have had a lot fo trouble losing weight. I too gained about 15 pounds and I have asked doctor after doctor about it and they all say that it isnt due to that. However, I started seeing a nutritionist lately and she said that Mirena could cause me to have a bigger appetite, and I have a really slow metabolism which the combonation has caused me to gain the weight. I started eating healthier and started taking Vitamins and Thyroid pill prescribed by my doctor and it has really helped. I would suggest maybe seeking medical advise from a nutritionist, mine has helped a lot and my medical insurance covers it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved my first one, which was placed 6 weeks after my daughter was born. I had it replaced 6 month ago and I have had issue with weight gain, acne, backache and mood swings.

I have an appointment this month to talk about having it removed because no period isn't worth it anymore.