Post Workout Food Ideas

Options
Jpat0
Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
Hey guys,

I work out 6 days a week, any time of the day. I have a problem figuring out what to eat after my work outs. When I work out in the morning, it works perfectly because my breakfast is usually really heavy. However, I have a problem when I work out at night. I don't want to eat something heavy very late at night (anytime ranging from 9 - 11) after my work out. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm new to this journey of going to the gym everyday and actually taking it seriously. If anyone has any advice on post workout foods in general, feel free to message that as well :)

Cheers.

Replies

• Jpat0
    Options
    Also to add, I think since this is a nutrition question it would benefit to know my body type. I have a considerable amount of body fat, so pretty much opposite of lean lol.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    brasilian grill, go, go go. All that protein! I'm insane from all the protein tonight.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    A box of chocolate milk.

47f4b468-30cb-4624-b538-02a9ca3fe8d4.jpg
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll eat a cheese stick and an apple.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet V8 energy. They worked best for me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    meat. protein shake
    meat dipped in a protein shake
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Eggs or some Greek yogurt is my usual late night snack
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're trying to lose weight, so make sure you have a healthy calorie deficit established and you're logging your food somehow. If you train at night you can either try and eat everything for the day before you workout, not all at once of course but staggered throughout the day and then don't eat after you workout. Just make sure you eat within 24 hours of going to bed and don't worry about it. Or, you can have a way shake, cottage cheese, something that isn't filling.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I stick with high protein,quickly digestable foods such as, protein shake, Greek yogurt, protein pudding...I personally like peanut butter and bananas too but a little higher in calories
  • stephaamu
    Options
    Jpat0 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I work out 6 days a week, any time of the day. I have a problem figuring out what to eat after my work outs. When I work out in the morning, it works perfectly because my breakfast is usually really heavy. However, I have a problem when I work out at night. I don't want to eat something heavy very late at night (anytime ranging from 9 - 11) after my work out. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm new to this journey of going to the gym everyday and actually taking it seriously. If anyone has any advice on post workout foods in general, feel free to message that as well :)

Cheers.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor suggesting taking in about half of what I think I need, which works out pretty well. My favourite is a Vega Protein Smoothie. I put half a scoop in with water or milk.

http://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    for me.....i work out at night.....so my post workout 'meal' is typically a can of sardines or tuna.....and a whey protein shake......else, a cup of cottage cheese and pepper.....lol sounds gross, but after a gruelling work out it's delicious ;)

i just don't like eating a big meal that close to bed time.....and i typically workout after 8.....come home around 10-11ish.....then goto bed by midnight. So the whey protein shake works great after a good workout......to fuel me until morning.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree with Greek yogurt. Protein is always good as it keeps you full especially after a hard workout.
  • Jpat0
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you inputs! Had egg whites after my work out today. It was low in calories and really filling. I will try some things you guys have mentioned after I do my weekly grocery shopping.

Cheers.