Breakfast and Lunch for drivers?

Options
My job requires me to be behind the wheel the majority of my work day. I don't have much time to eat and I don't have much money to buy a lot of health food. As with any driving job, fast food truck-stop food is always readily available so it's real easy for me to just go to that. I need something that doesn't require cooking and is easy to carry around and keep in my work truck. Thank you so much for the help!

Replies

• debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe purchase a cooler and fill with apples, baby carrots, gogerts in a tube, and granola bars. If you make a stop ...stop at a gas station and get a sandwich. If you get fast food get just a sandwich and have some carrots and an apple and of course water. Have a gogert and granola bar as a snack. Try to have breakfast before you leave for work. It is easier to stop for fast food but if you just do the sandwich it should save some money to buy the fruits and veggies. Good luck!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Egg Mugs are fast and easy. It is an omelet made in the microwave in a mug. You can buy some egg beaters, some veggies, some protein and make many different combinations. I make the Mexicali with a turkey sausage patty, then make it to go by putting it in corn tortillas for tacos or a flour tortilla for a burrito. The Denver and California Egg Mugs are also delicious.

hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1256-shes-got-eggs-and-she-knows-how-to-use-them

Other to go items that are ready in minutes:

A turkey sausage patty or morningstar farm veggie sausage(found in frozen foods) in a toasted mini bagel.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/tomato-and-swiss-cheese-melt.html

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/homemade-egg-mcmuffin.html

For lunch maybe a thermos of pureed vegetable soup and sandwiches? or wraps?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You need to buy some blue ice, small cooler, and Rubbermaid containers. Prep your food for the day the night before.

My food looks like this:
    1 sliced apple
    Yogurt
    Baked sweet potato
    Chicken breast
    Or container of soup, you can get a thermos container to keep hot foods hot.
    Water, and 2 diet cokes.
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Another good breakfast you can make is egg muffins...they can be made up ahead of time and kept in baggies in the fridge...they are great for eating on the go and you don't even need silverware if you don't want to. It's how I've always gotten my kids to eat in the morning...none of them are morning people and they hate to take the time to eat before school.
    Egg muffins..
    Use a muffin tin and fill each muffin slot half way with scrambled egg mixture then add favorite add in such as peppers and onions...ham cubes...crumbled turkey sausage or even real bacon bits....bake in the oven for about 15 min until the eggs are firmed up and cooked.
    Once they are cooled you can put them into baggies in the fridge. My kids actually eat them cold but you can heat for 30 sec or so in a microwave and take them with...because they are shaped like a muffin...there's no need for silverware.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Look up nutritional information for the fast food places you go to. Even McDonald's customize your order.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I make cookies for breakfast. They are primarily banana, apple sauce, peanut butter substitutes although I do use some sugar and butter. I add all sorts of healthy goodies to them and flavour them differently every time by adding chocolate, sultanas, white choc, coconut, mango etc. I once shared the base recipe on here but I couldn't tell you where it is. It has probably been tweaked since then too. I make them on the weekend and put two in a bag and take a bag with me daily for breakfast and eat them on the go. I freeze a few bags too so I only really have to make a batch of about 20 once every few weeks depending on how often I have them, sometimes I mix it up and eat maccas or something else - as long as it fits in the pal.

Lunches when out bush vary considerably but some easy ones if you don't have a fridge is a bread and can of spaghetti or baked bean sandwich - easy and healthy. I also enjoy a can of four bean mix and a can of tuna some lunches too - really high fibre, easy and tasty too, just don't have it too often or it can become bland. If you invest in the right tupperware/aladdin hot box stuff you can pretty much eat anything you want for lunch...
  • hedgehogia
    hedgehogia Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I will make green smoothies and put them in a one quart mason jar and grab them when i need them. Also cut up veggies and hummus - there are tupperware containers that would make that easy to eat on the go. Also healthy sandwiches - banana and light peanut butter, veggie and hummus, a wrap of some kind. Hand fruit, bananas, an ounce of nuts, etc.
    -