TDEE according to online calculators feels low

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ...I'm pretty sure that I must have been...

Famous last words in calorie counting. Unless you diligently logged, you don't know what you were eating.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, 42 and 140lbs. The average tdee I get is 1300ish calories. It's depressing :(

My goal is 140-145, even without exercise included my goal is never estimated that low. You sure you're not looking at the BMR? My BMR is lower now that I'm lighter. Or are you looking at your caloric needs for losing weight? 1600 would make more sense in that case.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Did not read all the replies..

TDEE calculators are just that ..calculators and there is no way they will be 100% accurate for everyone..

what you need to do is take the number it gives you and eat to that number and see what happens and then based on feedback you get from the scale adjust up or down based on what your goals are.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm 5"8, 42 and 140lbs. The average tdee I get is 1300ish calories. It's depressing :(

My goal is 140-145, even without exercise included my goal is never estimated that low. You sure you're not looking at the BMR? My BMR is lower now that I'm lighter. Or are you looking at your caloric needs for losing weight? 1600 would make more sense in that case.

yeah most of them was to lose weight. IIFYM was set to maintain. ... I think.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ...I'm pretty sure that I must have been...

Famous last words in calorie counting. Unless you diligently logged, you don't know what you were eating.

This is solid advice for novices. I did have a break, but I counted for four years immediately prior to the break. Right now, I'm eating about 2000 on average. I know for a fact that I am eating less than I was before I resumed counting. I am not having the extra croissant, or ice cream. Or French fries, or half a medium pepperoni, bacon and sausage pizza for dinner, as I did during the break. It's a fair estimate (by someone with experience in counting and estimating) that in that time, I was averaging at least 200, probably closer to 400 more than I am now.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Did not read all the replies..

TDEE calculators are just that ..calculators and there is no way they will be 100% accurate for everyone..

what you need to do is take the number it gives you and eat to that number and see what happens and then based on feedback you get from the scale adjust up or down based on what your goals are.

Good advice, thanks :)
  • ana3067
    Options

With or without exercise included? If you omit the exercise that will definitely make your maintenance TDEE lower, but then when you'd log and eat back exercise calories it would be much more reasonable! If I enter my stats on IIFYM it gives me about 2060 calories to maintain with exercise at 140lbs. Although IIFYM estimates low for me, so it'd probably be closer to 2150-2200. 0 exercise is about 1700 calories. I guess that's one of the best benefits of exercising, you get to eat more :p
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just used the IIFYM calculator, and it said 1600 calories. A bit better than the 1300's

Even if you did 0 exercise, your TDEE is above 1600. You might have used the wrong calculator.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    OP, you should check out the EM2WL (eat more to weigh less) group here. I'm almost 65, 5'7", workout 5 days a week and easily lose weight at about 1700 plus a couple of non-counting calorie meals a week. I worked out my TDEE by gradually increasing calories until I stopped losing and gained a couple of pounds, mostly from a carb increase, and then worked backwards from that. I haven't had to lower it at all to keep losing weight. I only have about 15 lbs still to lose to reach my goal weight.

When I started I was eating about 1300-1500 and was too hungry to go lower even though I'd lost about 40 lbs so I had to research other ways to keep going.

Good luck and trust your own data!

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    6n8unsa7dyaf.jpg

This is my tdee calculation. I have a very low tdee when set to work out 4 times a week. For those who didn't believe me. Lol
  • ana3067
    Options
    6n8unsa7dyaf.jpg

This is my tdee calculation. I have a very low tdee when set to work out 4 times a week. For those who didn't believe me. Lol

IIFYM calculator tends to estimate lower for many people. Scooby's, Health-Calc, or exrx.net are much better resources for estimating caloric needs.
  • Christine_72
    Options

With or without exercise included? If you omit the exercise that will definitely make your maintenance TDEE lower, but then when you'd log and eat back exercise calories it would be much more reasonable! If I enter my stats on IIFYM it gives me about 2060 calories to maintain with exercise at 140lbs. Although IIFYM estimates low for me, so it'd probably be closer to 2150-2200. 0 exercise is about 1700 calories. I guess that's one of the best benefits of exercising, you get to eat more :p

No exercise, as I don't do any.

I just used the IIFYM calculator, and it said 1600 calories. A bit better than the 1300's

Even if you did 0 exercise, your TDEE is above 1600. You might have used the wrong calculator.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then. I've calculated using a lot of different ones. And they're all much of a muchness.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    6n8unsa7dyaf.jpg

IIFYM calculator tends to estimate lower for many people. Scooby's, Health-Calc, or exrx.net are much better resources for estimating caloric needs.

I am now 8lbs away from goal and this has been working for me. Almost at my 7 month mark now! :) I started with a tdee over 1900 and now it's dwindled away..lol
  • ana3067
    Options

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then. I've calculated using a lot of different ones. And they're all much of a muchness.

At your weight, 1600 might be lower than your actual maintenance, but it would probably still be below 1800 considering you do not exercise. But these are all estimates as has been mentioned. I plan to reverse diet when I reach my body fat loss goals, so that I'll add I think ~50-100 calories a week (or whatever the time frame is, I forget now) until I stop losing, maintain, and gain a few lbs. You might find that your real maintenance is higher than the estimate if you give this a try as well!
  • Christine_72
    Options

At your weight, 1600 might be lower than your actual maintenance, but it would probably still be below 1800 considering you do not exercise. But these are all estimates as has been mentioned. I plan to reverse diet when I reach my body fat loss goals, so that I'll add I think ~50-100 calories a week (or whatever the time frame is, I forget now) until I stop losing, maintain, and gain a few lbs. You might find that your real maintenance is higher than the estimate if you give this a try as well!

I hope it'll be higher. I'll go try again and make sure I calculate for maintenance.

Thank you Ana. You've always been a wonderful help to me xx

• tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I ate 2200 calories today and I'm still hungry. What is going on?? I usually keep my diary closed, but will temporarily open it if anyone wants to take a peek. (No exercise today.)

A couple of days around the holidays are empty or incomplete. It's fair to assume I went way over on those days, with wine and cake and whatever.

Activity is either nothing, ~20 mins stretching/bodyweight exercises (not always logged, because it'll be practically nothing), or the bodyweight stuff + ~40 minutes of interval stationary cycling. The minutes on the bike are logged as less because I went with the machine's numbers, which were lower than MFP's.

37F, 143 lbs, 5'7, working around injuries
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    The calculators are a guide. And most will tell you that. . . Try a number for a month and see if you are losing weight. If Not adjust it ?? It's not a science. . Play with the number after you see if it's working of not. .