protein bars.

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've tried several different bars and considering the price, amount of protein and calories, Pure Protein is the way to go IMHO. They're $6.27 for a 6 pack (at WalMart) and each bar has 20g of protein and is around 200 cal. I like the chocolate chip and chocolate peanut butter flavors. Fair warning though - if you're not used to protein bars, you'll definitely notice a "protein" aftertaste.

Clif Builders bars are my 2nd favorite. A bit more expensive and higher in calories (also have 20g protein but closer to 300 calories) but they're also more tasty. The chocolate mint ones are soooo good.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Quest bars, but I'm interested in making homemade protein bars.

I went full-on food nerd and started making my own protein bars. I found a recipe for an "oat and quinoa breakfast bar" on Food52, and substituted 6 scoops of protein powder for the sugar in the recipe (and I don't add chocolate chips). Mine are about 200 calories each (yes, higher than the commercial ones, mostly) and 12 g of protein. They are filling, contain nuts/seeds, dried fruit, quinoa, and oats and don't require baking. You'll need to increase the amount of water to dissolve the protein powder.

http://food52.com/recipes/23577-oats-and-quinoa-breakfast-bars
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Quest are good, and I also like a brand called balance. They make a cookie dough one that tastes great!! I buy both from my local pharmacy!! When they are on sale, I'll pick up a bunch!!
  • wziemer
    wziemer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    +1 for pure protein. They can also be had in bulk at costco for pretty cheap (less than $1/bar when on sale if i recall correctly). They do contain maltitol though so just don't eat a bunch of them (I'm talking like 4+) in a single day of you'll have "the runs" (and I'm not talking the activity you log on MFP :laugh: )
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm a Quest girl. Most protein bars have tons of sugar and can be pretty high in carbs. I find Quest the tastiest and with 1 gram of sugar....nicely done.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say the Quest bar but I think that bar contains sugar alcohols which I have found stalls weight loss for me anyway
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have a Zone bar almost every day for breakfast. Love the chocolate mint and the fudge graham. Also like their blueberry and strawberry. They have 14g of protein and I pick them up at Target.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I once researched protein bars to get the best bang (grams protein) for the buck (calories and dollars). I also wanted to avoid high-sugar bars, since nutritionally makes it basically a candy bar. Here's what I came up with, hope it helps. Prices were best I could find per bar on the internet.

BTW, Quest bars are awesome.

--

Oh Yeah Victory Bars: 200 cal; 21g protein; $1.75; 8g sugar 20g fiber

Quest: 190 cal; 20g protein; $2.08; 1g sugar; 18g fiber

Clif Builder's: 270 cal; 20g protein; $1.50; 22g sugar; 3g fiber

Zone Perfect: 210 cal; 14g protein; $1.00; 15g sugar; 3g fiber

VPX Zero Impact: 400 cal; 30g protein; $2.15; 12g sugar; 6g fiber

Pure Protein (50g): 180 cal; 19g protein; $1.25; 2g sugar; 1g fiber

Think Thin: 240 cal; 20g protein; $1.69; 0g sugar 1g fiber
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Quest definitely - I agree that the Atkins ones taste awesome but they are sweetened with maltitol which wreaks havoc in my gut!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    quest, enough said
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Quest.
    /Thread

THIS! The cookies and cream ones are to die for!
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are def the best! A little expensive (~$2/bar), but anything of quality usually is. ;)

If anyone wants to try Quest bars before buying, they brought back their free sample program. You can fill out the form on their Facebook page -- https://www.facebook.com/QuestNutrition?sk=app_733419926675832
  • adam_willard12
    adam_willard12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. Quest protein bars (have to buy online or at a gnc)
    2. Thinkthin protein bars *(buy at sams club or target for best prices)
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It always boggles my mind the Quest fanatics on here. IMO, they are the worst tasting slab of goop I have ever tasted and twice the price of most protein bars. I've tried many and Pure Protein is (IMO) the best tasting and one of the most cost friendly bars. The Chewy Chocolate Chip is my favorite. Best yet, Pure Protein was recommended by my trainer AND the nutritionist at my Dr.'s office. I was skeptical, having about given up on protein bars, but so glad that I gave them a try.

That being said everyone's taste is vastly different, so OP if you don't like the quest bars just keep trying different brands until you find one that suits your taste :)
  • jshurst97
    jshurst97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I've used Atkins in the past but the Quest, Pure Protein, and Think Thin line of "mobile breakfast" looks very interesting. As a diabetic, I feel that I really need to narrow my search by sugar/carb amounts. Next on my list of priorities is cost, and finally calories.

I know that sometimes you need to have a good bit of calories to start your day (is important to keeping you from making stupid "snacking" mistakes before you even get to lunch, so you'll need something "stick to your ribs"...

Personally for me, since I work from home, a normal breakfast is a DIY cold brew latte and two boiled eggs, and sometimes a small gala apple; but I'm looking for products to give me diversity so that I don't get tired of the same-ol-same-ol.

Again, thanks everyone for the input!

Happy new year!

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying this thread as well...A question about the bars. Does anyone know if they (quest, pure protein) contain lactose? I usually pick Kind bars, because they don't have any, but am curious about the others. I'm lactose intolerant and once I tried a Quaker Valley Protein bar and it sent me over the deep end. The protein powder I buy is a low lactose formula and it does not upset my tummy at all...

Just curious if anyone knows...
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everyone likes Quest, but they are so expensive! My favourite is the Peak Body Pro Light 25 bar: 177 calories, 25g of protein, and available for about £1 each.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest, awesome protein and fiber.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the texture/lightness Kind or Cliff bars because I'm less likely to get heartburn if I eat one before exercising.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are wonderful!! I microwave them for about 20 seconds and then they are soft and delish!!