Online Personal Training

Options
I'm considering an online personal trainer. (Objective: Accountability when living abroad)

Here is the background: The wife and I are moving to Japan for three years. In December we went there to rent a house and lease a car. I was on a side mission to find a gym... no luck... Place to run, maybe, but not really. There is always outside, but the area is congested with a lot of traffic... I did find one gym option, it's 45 minutes away and $250/mo...

So, this is what I am considering:

<Option 1>
Sealfit.com, you can find info here: http://register.sealfit.com/
They have three plans:

1) Elite - $9.97/mo
2) Elite Plus Now - $29.97/mo
3) Sealfit Mastery - $99.97/mo

I'm considering the middle one, but I don't have any rhyrm or reason why I like it other than I think it will give me someone to check in with weekly and keep me accountable.

<Option 2>
Fitorbit, which seems to be the popular option on the internet: http://www.fitorbit.com/
They give a discount based on how much time you sign up for... If I do a 6 month deal, it's $11.50/week or $46/mo. They have people to coach you, but they don't directly contact you, its via their system or on comments in their plans.

I could lean toward them but I think I'll do better with a community to check in with me more frequently.

<Current Status>
I have been talking to customer service / sales people at both sites and I'm not sold on either yet. We leave for Japan at the end of the month, so I'd like to make a decision in the next few weeks (Or sooner)

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why are you moving to Japan ?
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Do your self a favor and check out Fitness Blender.com they have free workouts. Or you can buy one of there programs I have got three from them and they are awesome. They also have a meal plan. Maybe a great low cost option there programs are like 10.00
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    And you can find a ton of different stuff on YouTube for free as well.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain from paying for one of these programs? What do you think they offer that you couldn't otherwise find for free?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Youtube, fitness blender for free. Nerdfitness, beginner and advanced bodyweight workout for free.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you able to set-up a home gym and use free online videos and workout plans?
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for videos, plans, or diets. I have those. (For example, I have a workout plan that follows a crossfit / hiit and I have done well following a paleo / low carb diet. ) The reason I am looking for an online trainer is to have someone to check in with while in a Japan. A real person that can give feedback. I think can adapt my plan, I would just like to have someone in my corner confirming such.

@Branstin - I'm rather limited for the home gym. I have a small space in the place we've leased to work out. Roughly 3'x8'
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know where this is going but Mike Lee founder of MFP has bought Sessions hoping to develop it for on line PT.
    http://mobihealthnews.com/30084/myfitnesspal-acquires-sessions-to-add-coaching/

Cheers, h.
    Funny, I was looking at when MFP started etc, saw that link, then the next post I read was yours.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    magic267 wrote: »
    I'm considering an online personal trainer. (Objective: Accountability when living abroad)
    I injured myself and set my journey back months in part due to an online personal trainer--and yes, they were certified and well-regarded in-person. For one, when they give you new exercises, they're not there to observe and correct your form. For two, they're not in a good position to judge whether you should be encouraged to push harder or take a breather. Dangerous combo. ;)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you find MFP helps you stay accountable on eating? If so, there's a good sister site to this one (also free) that focuses on fitness goals called Fitocracy. Many MFP users there!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP offers accountability, for free.
  • CMcD1445
    Options
    Hi, I don't know where this is going but Mike Lee founder of MFP has bought Sessions hoping to develop it for on line PT.
    http://mobihealthnews.com/30084/myfitnesspal-acquires-sessions-to-add-coaching/

Cheers, h.
    Funny, I was looking at when MFP started etc, saw that link, then the next post I read was yours.

@middlehaitch‌ - That is awesome! Thanks for sharing! (And it's great news!)
  • CMcD1445
    Options
    Do you find MFP helps you stay accountable on eating? If so, there's a good sister site to this one (also free) that focuses on fitness goals called Fitocracy. Many MFP users there!

It does OK for eating. (Usually once I lose the streak, I fall off the wagon for a minute)

Regarding exercise, I have a fitbit for tracking daily activity. When I work out, I use a timex run keeper (gps watch) with a polar heart rate monitor to log info, etc. I post the data to the timex site, trainingpeaks.com
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Online training can work quite well depending on the coach and the client. If you can find someone who you connect well with who has a clue what they are doing, you'll have a good chance at doing well with it.

Hopefully you find something that, if it's not a good fit, you're not bound to any long term thing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Online training can work quite well depending on the coach and the client. If you can find someone who you connect well with who has a clue what they are doing, you'll have a good chance at doing well with it.

Hopefully you find something that, if it's not a good fit, you're not bound to any long term thing.

This^^^
  • CMcD1445
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Totally agree with the logic there. I'm thinking the Sealfit trainer, but if you have any other suggestions, I'd be open to it!
  • CMcD1445
    Options
    .... I've decided to go with Sealfit. I'll report back in a week or two to let y'all know how it's going!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    A bit late with this thought, but do you use a PT at home? if so would he/she be willing to work with you long distance?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Buy a suspension trainer and do your workouts for free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wfrazee2004
    Options
    I just signed up last night for online trainer via Fitocracy. (Incidentally, would be REALLY good if the two would play nice together.) First day workout this morning.

One of the things I really liked about it is that I was able to find someone whose story mirrored my own. His original motivations, the profession he was in. He "gets" what my daily challenges are because he was there first and succeeded. There are LOTS of coaches to choose from over there.

One of the nifty things, too, is that they give you a code you can give to others for discounts. I dont want to run afoul of advertising rules but if you want some money off your first month of coaching over there, reach out with a private message, it helps me and helps you.