The Warrior Diet- Switch on your Biological Powerhouse

Options
kleighcooper
kleighcooper Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
I am going to do my very best to actually stick to this! And I think I've truly found something that will make that easier for me.

I used to relate (more feel sorry for myself :'( waaa) to the "I've tried so many diets and haven't lost any weight". Well the real issue is, I never stick to it. I am a quitter, through and through.

I have major eating issues; Bored, sad, angry, "to get rid of the junk food in my house", or just something to do. Most of this gluttony goes down in the evening at home. I've even woken up in the night to throw up because I stuffed myself with that last bit of chips in the bag. And how I love chips, delicious, delicious chips. But that is just not attractive.

I just returned home from my destination wedding and felt sick with what I saw in pictures. This is not the bride I wanted to be. I had a year to get my *kitten* together...but as history would repeat its self, I was lazy and did nothing.

Sure, I thought of it, dreamed of it, made plans inside my head to do it. Not once did I put it into action.

So with my new found knowledge of the warrior diet, my fitness pal and my fit bit, I am DOING it.

I hope someone out there is also interested in this unconventional taboo method of dieting. Or has some feedback on it themselves.

2015, things are HAPPENING!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is it, in a sentence ?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think it's the one where you can only eat food that you killed with your bow-and-arrow or Level 2 magic spells.

I may be getting confused here.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Hang on, we don't have to cut off our right breasts do we?
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey....no. Just no. There is no magic to eating at a particular time of day (glanced briefly at some Warrior Diet lit). If you are ready to lose the weight, you will eat at a moderate calorie deficit and get yourself up and moving (to feel better, though not necessary for just weight loss). If you aren't ready, then you won't. You do NOT need a magic book and magic pills and magic beans and ....

I promise you I'm right. I know lots and lots of people on this website that have proven all you need is a moderate calorie deficit and dedication. Not perfection, just dedication. Good luck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wait, the Warrior Diet is taboo? And here I thought it was just a 15 year old book that talks about fasting and demonizes food arbitrarily. It's basically Paleo, "clean eating," and leangains tossed into a blender.

Nothing new, nothing magical. Pretty tough to adhere to I would think, with all its random arbitrary rules and restrictions.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Undereat during the day and overeat or "feast" at night consuming most of your daily intake
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    From http://www.warriordiet.com/:

"Its premise: eat one main meal at night, avoid chemicals, combine foods adequately and challenge your body physically. The Warrior Diet shows how to nourish the body in sync with its innate circadian clock – separating between a.m. foods and p.m. foods for effective removal of toxins, increased conversion of fat for energy, increased utilization of nutrients and improved resilience to stress. The result: a leaner, stronger and healthier body. "

I applaud you for taking the initiative to get healthier and lose weight, but in time you might find that diets like this aren't sustainable for a long-term lifestyle. CICO, my friend!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating one meal a day.

Did it for awhile, it can work but really sets you up for some binging.
    Aside from which, not everyone's food clock runs the same.

ETA : and the only reason it can work is because most people find it hard to eat over 2000 calories in one meal. Most people.
  • tigersword
    Options
    mz107 wrote: »
    From http://www.warriordiet.com/:

"Its premise: eat one main meal at night, avoid chemicals, combine foods adequately and challenge your body physically. The Warrior Diet shows how to nourish the body in sync with its innate circadian clock – separating between a.m. foods and p.m. foods for effective removal of toxins, increased conversion of fat for energy, increased utilization of nutrients and improved resilience to stress. The result: a leaner, stronger and healthier body. "

I applaud you for taking the initiative to get healthier and lose weight, but in time you might find that diets like this aren't sustainable for a long-term lifestyle. CICO, my friend!

Lol, avoid chemicals. Eat nothing, drink nothing, and make sure to hold your breath so you don't breathe in those nasty chemicals like oxygen...
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Eating one meal a day.

ETA : and the only reason it can work is because most people find it hard to eat over 2000 calories in one meal. Most people.

Serious question though - weren't you ravenous the next day? Maybe just because I don't eat that way, but I start to get hungry like 3-4 hours after my last meal.
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Warrior Diet, low carb, low fat, etc...does not matter. Just focus on calories in vs calories out and stay within your macro nutrient percentages. weigh the foods you eat to get accurate data and all will fall in place if you focus on the above.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    mz107 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Eating one meal a day.

Serious question though - weren't you ravenous the next day? Maybe just because I don't eat that way, but I start to get hungry like 3-4 hours after my last meal.
    Not really, but that's because I generally don't get hungry until 11-12 (unless I'm hungover). Stopped doing it because I do get hungry at noon, very hungry, and waiting until 6-7 was torture... aside from which, I'm perfectly capable of eating above maintenance in only one meal.

Like I said, everybody's food clock is different. Best to work with what you've got...
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Isn't that how Sumo wrestlers maintain their physiques?
  • tigersword
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »

Um, not. Sumo wrestlers eat up 10 (sometimes even 20) times per day. They gain their physiques by eating 20,000 calories per day.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Kleigh! Welcome to MFP. The great news is that you are here, and that you are motivated! While the Warrior Diet may not be the ideal choice, I invite you to read the forums and learn. Meet people. Don't give up! Most of us tweak our plans all the time. The end goal is healthy weight loss.
  • kleighcooper
    kleighcooper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Whoa... Loving the feedback! I understand it's questionable. But it fits my lifestyle. I work hard during the day and don't usually eat lunch because I'm so busy. And that's my husbands lifestyle too. So I have dramatically cut back my calorie intake by just enjoying black coffee or tea and water during the day (raw veggies if my guts yelling at me) and enjoying an awesome home cooked meal with my starving husband. He's lived this way for quite some time. Of course not a conscious diet for him, it's just his lifestyle. And he's quite lean. I've just adapted a routine for myself that matches his. And it's seems to be working. When I have a hold on things or its shows to not work anymore, I'll probably move on. But for now, this kind of discipline is something I NEED.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I did this for years and stayed lean. But....I was grumpy in day, I had a massive slump after eating, and it wouldn't suit you if you wanted to do sports in the day. I also believe that men are genetically predisposed to eat like this as they would have been out hunting with no food for hours on end. Us ladies would have been grazing by the fire, with a glass of wine
  • logg1e
    Options
    I also believe that men are genetically predisposed to eat like this as they would have been out hunting with no food for hours on end. Us ladies would have been grazing by the fire, with a glass of wine

Genuine question; are you being serious?
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    JenD1066 wrote: »

Um, not. Sumo wrestlers eat up 10 (sometimes even 20) times per day. They gain their physiques by eating 20,000 calories per day.

I should be a sumo wrestler. 20,000 calories sounds awesome right about now.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Whoa... Loving the feedback! I understand it's questionable. But it fits my lifestyle. I work hard during the day and don't usually eat lunch because I'm so busy. And that's my husbands lifestyle too. So I have dramatically cut back my calorie intake by just enjoying black coffee or tea and water during the day (raw veggies if my guts yelling at me) and enjoying an awesome home cooked meal with my starving husband. He's lived this way for quite some time. Of course not a conscious diet for him, it's just his lifestyle. And he's quite lean. I've just adapted a routine for myself that matches his. And it's seems to be working. When I have a hold on things or its shows to not work anymore, I'll probably move on. But for now, this kind of discipline is something I NEED.

Nothing wrong with intermittent fasting. It's a valid approach that has been used with much success for a long time. My issue with this diet is the arbitrary restrictions on foods that are put in place. There's never a good reason, other than a specific medical condition, to ever just completely eliminate any type of food. Sure, cut out any foods you don't like, that's personal preference, but to not eat something just because a book says not to is usually more harmful then helpful.