Strength Training instead of Cardio?

Options
Virgiree21
Virgiree21 Posts: 71 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Good or bad? I've stopped cardio and started lifting weights. I do four different types of squats 4 sets of 10 each and 6 different arm workouts 4 sets of 15 each. I was thinking about adding some abdominal workouts on my rest days. Will this still help me lose weight or should I start back cardio?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What?
  • lancelyell
    lancelyell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a must and High Intensity Interval training for cardio if you're looking for maximum fat loss
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your letters mean, but if you something like Body Pump or Boot Camp you get both.
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    Sorry! Just fixed it.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are?
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    My goal is so lose at least 40lb. I want to gain some muscle mass but I was told that can't happen eatting at deficit so for now just to get stronger.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I think that a combination of strength training and cardio is the best approach for both weight loss and overall fitness. It doesn't need to be one or the other, nor should it be.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I "feel" like I get my best fat loss from cardio (running). I mix in some resistance for tone but I am not trying to bulk up either. I haven't run in a month and put 14 pounds back on.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Fat loss occurs when you maintain a long term calorie deficit. Resistance training is important to conserve lean mass while maintaining a deficit. That is the specific contribution. It is not "better for fat loss" outside of the calories burned doing the exercises.

As long as they maintain a calorie deficit, people can use any combination of resistance training, endurance cardio, and HIIT to achieve weight loss goals. Which combo will be more effective for you depends on goals, preferences, fitness level, experience, motor skills, etc.

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    strength training is also a cardio activity, especially if you are lifting heavy and in super sets to keep the heart rate up. on a leg day with my HRM i log about 500 calories. if fat loss is needed you can work in some HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week on top of lifting
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's important to do both cardio and strength training. So I would suggest tossing in a maybe 2-3 days of cardio a week, nothing super strenuous, 20-30 minutes would be good.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    strength training is also a cardio activity, especially if you are lifting heavy and in super sets to keep the heart rate up. on a leg day with my HRM i log about 500 calories. if fat loss is needed you can work in some HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week on top of lifting

Actually the "cardio" effects of strength training are higher at lower weights, not higher. Heart rate is not a reliable indicator of an aerobic effect when lifting heavy weights. HR will shoot up, but VO2 does not, so the cardio system is not challenged the same as when HR increases during aerobic exercise. The cardio effects of lifting are modest.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily about diet. Get your intake dialed in and you'll be set.

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for body composition, fitness, strength, health, mood, etc.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have days where there is just cardio and days where I am doing weights. It works for me so I can keep focus. I get bored really easily so my personal hell would be cardio only on a dreadmill.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do both. Cardio doesn't have to be intense. Brisk walking or swimming is great for you.

IMO, your strength training should mainly concern the big 3, your legs (you got it, squats are the best), your chest (push) and your back (pull). It sounds like you might be doing a lot of incidental arm exercise which is unecessary for the average person just interested in general fitness. Your arms will get plenty of training while you do all the big muscle exercises.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Actually the "cardio" effects of strength training are higher at lower weights, not higher. Heart rate is not a reliable indicator of an aerobic effect when lifting heavy weights. HR will shoot up, but VO2 does not, so the cardio system is not challenged the same as when HR increases during aerobic exercise. The cardio effects of lifting are modest.

@Azdak - do you have any recommended reading to help me understand this? Thanks :)

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't do Cardio, bc I don't like it. My heart rate gets up by lifting heavy. I consider that cardio. FAT is lost or decreased by eating in a deficit. Let your diet do the fat loss work for you. You may need to get a professional free weight training plan. There are plenty out there on sites that are targeted toward strength training. You do not need traditional cardio for fat loss.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be one or the other? If you like lifting and you like cardio then there is no reason not to do both.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

The HRM will over estimate cals burned from non steady state cardio as another poster mentioned if affects oxygen uptake differently and the HRM calculation assumes steady state cardio affecting oxygen uptake.

OP: I would suggest following a tried tested and true strength training program such as starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new Rules of Lifting, etc I would also focus on going heavier for lower reps once you have your form down. 15+ reps is muscle endurance, not strength training.

I would also point out that cardio is not needed to lose weight, a calorie deficit is. Cardio burns cals so allows you to eat more and still lose the same amount of weight, but cardio in and of itself will not cause you to lose weight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing 4 types of squats?