Tips for cutting portion size?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm giving this weight loss thing another try. I lost 40lbs last time and then got injured and went back to my old ways. The injury still bothers me, but I've joined a gym with a pool and I'm super excited!

My biggest problem is portion sizes. I eat A LOT. For example, if we get pizza, I'll eat 7-8 slices easily. If we have pasta (my biggest weakness) I'll have 2 heaping bowls. Even with a chicken meal, I'll have 2 chicken breasts...

How do I start cutting back? I've tried before, using proper portion sizes, but that left me super hungry and I ended up snacking to fill myself up. I've tried eating 3 regular meals with a small snack in between but it doesn't work. I'm always hungry :(

If you guys could give me tips, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is it actual hunger or is it habit? I had a similar issue years ago. I realized, for example, out of HABIT I would order 2 bean burritos from Taco Bell (this was way back in my teenage years) or I would automatically have a bowl of pasta and 2 slices of garlic bread, etc. Once I cut back I realized I had no need for 2 of most things, it was simply habit.

In your case, if it IS in fact hunger, then I'd focus on higher quality, more nutrient dense food if possible. And, this is NOT for everyone, but going low carb was a life changer for me. No more cravings of any sort.

There are plenty of other methods, but you need to find what works for you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, sorry about the all italics. Don't know how that happened.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Start logging at your current intake level. Maybe if you see it on screen it will motivate you to change. It takes a little bit to get used to the reduced food, yes. But you do get used to it. Ultimately, you just have to decide in your head that you aren't going to overeat and do it. Find a hobby, go for a walk, brush your teeth, drink some water.
  • DaveTimeKeeper
    DaveTimeKeeper Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to be anorexic and still have some of the tendencies, cutting back portions was always easy for me, I still break up my meals the same as I used to usually only bigger.
    you might try making a certain weight of food a goal, or counting how many of something you eat. having something low calorie you can munch through the day helps also,
    you might make the ideal small meal, make sure to drink water before and during the meal, have water on hand all through the day and some filling snack like carrots or celery.
    the first few days might be hard, but once you start seeing results you will be encouraged to continue, and your body will also get used to less. my mom lost 45lb this way with method.
    I don't know if this will help but I hope it does.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    smaller plates and don't trust your eyes
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a smaller plate and bowl. That way I can have smaller portions but still feel like I have got a full plate full of food, if that makes sense? Also I just gradually reduced my portion sizes rather than straight away cutting my portions in half.
  • grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Is it actual hunger or is it habit? I had a similar issue years ago. I realized, for example, out of HABIT I would order 2 bean burritos from Taco Bell (this was way back in my teenage years) or I would automatically have a bowl of pasta and 2 slices of garlic bread, etc. Once I cut back I realized I had no need for 2 of most things, it was simply habit.

In your case, if it IS in fact hunger, then I'd focus on higher quality, more nutrient dense food if possible. And, this is NOT for everyone, but going low carb was a life changer for me. No more cravings of any sort.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think it's a mixture of both. I'm just used to eating so much so I feel like I need more even after I finish eating. Lately, after I finish dinner I've been eating an apple just to fill myself up a bit more without feeling insanely guilty...
  • amylynn82784
    amylynn82784 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Use a small plate and weigh/measure everything. You would be surprised how much of something you are eating.
  • jackfanelli796
    Options
    Buying a food scale will help a ton and eating your food much slower (50 chews per bite) will help make you feel fuller faster!
  • grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The small plate/bowl idea sounds good. Trucking yourself by seeing a full plate. I'm going to try that!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You could also do a gradual decrease - so if you have 2 bowls or chicken breasts, cut to 1.5 instead, then down to one. It takes time for your stomach to shrink. I always find I'm hungrier the next day if I ate a LOT the day before (my theory is a stretched out stomach!).
  • ashleywilson316
    Options
    I am also utilizing portion control as part of my weight management changes for 2015. I am making a conscious effort to use smaller plates and if I feel myself putting 2 scoops of pasta in the bowl....I only take 1. It's been rough for these first couple of days; but I feel it getting easier.

Good luck...I hope you find what works best for you!!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I did a medically supervised weight loss program they had a list of things we could eat unlimited quantities of. It was basically fruits and vegetables but we had to eat AT LEAST 5 cups per day and more if we were still hungry. So, have your pasta, after you have had a cup or two of a vegetable. Eat an apple or even two before you are going to have pizza.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think it's a mixture of both. I'm just used to eating so much so I feel like I need more even after I finish eating. Lately, after I finish dinner I've been eating an apple just to fill myself up a bit more without feeling insanely guilty...

This is actually really good too! Raw veggies and fruits are great ways to fill space and it takes time to eat them too, which sometimes is what your body needs to realize it's ok without more food.
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    weigh everything! You will be surprised how much you over/under estimate what a 'portion' is. Reading more labels can be educational to - a so-called recommended serving size can differ a great deal from what you feel a standard portion size should be
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot. But because I eat a ton of veggies and lean proteins, I can eat a lot and maintain my low weight. When I want a pizza, I want the whole pie. So I wait to have my pizza on Fridays before a long or tough ride where I know I will burn it up. Not only do I get to enjoy my entire pizza, I ride like a beast the next day due to the carbo load.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein. MFP recommendation may be too low. Try for .8 g/kg of body weight. Some people are more satisfied if they include protein in every meal and snack.

Make sure to include enough fiber. This can help with satisfaction. Beans are high fiber, as are green leafy vegetables, among others. 25g fiber minimum/day is good, or 15 g/1000 calories eaten. Increase fiber gradually so it doesn't get your digestive system upset.

Look at proportions as well as portions. Try to get half your food from fruits/veggies:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Try to have a glass of water with meals. Sometimes hunger is actually thirst.

I prefer to make my own meals. That way I have better control over things like sodium, fat, and sugar content. I am often able to make the same meal as I would eat at a restaurant, except with less fat and sodium and fewer calories.

Pizza tends to be high in calories. You can try making your own at home, with less cheese, using a thin crust pita, and a tablespoon of tomato sauce (or tomato paste with seasonings sprinkled on). Chose healthy toppings, and eat with a salad so it is more filling.

Pasta is high in calories. I make a ragu at home, but I find that to fit my calorie goals I can only have about 21 g pasta with it (about 21 whole wheat rotini).

Don't try to restrict calories too much. If you are really hungry, gradually reduce calories. Try only going down 100 calories from maintenance a day, to give your body a chance to adjust. Slower weight loss that is maintained is better than a high deficit that is given up early on.

You can earn calories from exercise. MFP may overestimate the burn, so many posters recommend only eating back about half the calories. Exercise can make you less hungry, and intense exercise may more effectively depress appetite.

Try to ensure you are getting enough micronutrients (i.e. iron, calcium.) Nutrient deficits can lead to strange cravings, but can be avoided with a varied diet.

Sometimes you wil be hungry during a diet, particularly duing the first few days, or after a cheat day (or during hormone fluctuations ;) ). You may end up having to live with the hunger for a bit. Try to distract yourself, stay active, focus on the reason you are losing weight (i.e. for health, so you will be there for your family), have some water, wait 15 minutes, talk to a friend, or whatever coping strategy you can come up with. The hunger should subside after a day or two.

Just try one small change at a time, and give yourself a few weeks for it to "lock in" if it is working.

If you try everything and nothing works, speak to your Dr. or a dietician for advice.

Good luck :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    7-8 slices? You realize an entire pizza only HAS 8 slices, yes? Don't get me wrong, I can for sure put away the groceries myself, but I just can't see how, physically and/or spatially, you could make that work. Unless you are eating very slowly, over the course of an entire evening, maybe?

Whatever, that's not important, I guess. What I find helpful is to put away half my meal before I even start eating it. When I order at a restaurant, I ask them to box up half the entree before bringing it to me. You can easily trick yourself into thinking you're still hungry, just by there being food still on your plate. Circumvent that by showing your brain that there is only so much food there, and once it's gone, that's it. When that happens, you become psychologically satisfied, even when you are used to being physically satisfied with more, and it becomes a hell of a lot easier to push back from the table and say "enough for now".

A plus side to this is lots of leftovers for future meals, so essentially you're cutting the price of all your favorite food in half. What's not to win?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest trying finding foods that have lots of volume for not as many calories ie vegetables, egg whites etc.. eat a meal filled with voluminous foods then maybe you may not be as hungry when eating your preferred foods which should be in moderation anyway.