Tips for cutting portion size?

Options

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you have 2 bowls of pasta, why not try 1 pasta bowl & one salad bowl. Might still give you that 'full' feeling with less calories and more nutritious. Pizza the same, try eating with salad, however I do agree it's hard not to eat a full one!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You have a great suggestions so far on the portion sizes; smaller plates, food scale, measuring etc. To help with the “I still feel hungry” I suggest more filling snacks. Two snacks in between may not be enough. I snack ALL day. Bananas, things with tons of fiber like low sugar fruits, mixed nuts, hard boiled eggs (provide no cholesterol concerns), KIND bars and oatmeal all very helpful.

As another person posted, it is a little bit of habit too. Knowing the difference between feeling stuffed and feeling full and accepting a full (but not stuffed) feeling. I found that those foods listed really help keeping me feeling full all day and I slowly no longer felt the need to overdo my portions at my meals.

My last point, dehydration can sometimes manifest itself in feeling hungry especially if you are new to eating healthy. Often we feel hungry when we are actually dehydrated so (and you have probably heard this a million times) start filling up good old water. Takes time….you will get there.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The weighing/logging/slowly decreasing/filling up on veggies are all good tips. I used to always go back for seconds, but I now leave the table, clean the kitchen, and tell myself I'll get more later if I'm still hungry. (I have only rarely gone back and gotten more.)

I will tell you that I notice that when I eat pasta, I want to keep eating pasta and everything else that night. I've had to cut way down--once or twice a month. You may not have this issue, but it's a trouble spot for me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    TTHdred wrote: »
    You have a great suggestions so far on the portion sizes; smaller plates, food scale, measuring etc. To help with the “I still feel hungry” I suggest more filling snacks. Two snacks in between may not be enough. I snack ALL day. Bananas, things with tons of fiber like low sugar fruits, mixed nuts, hard boiled eggs (provide no cholesterol concerns), KIND bars and oatmeal all very helpful.

As another person posted, it is a little bit of habit too. Knowing the difference between feeling stuffed and feeling full and accepting a full (but not stuffed) feeling. I found that those foods listed really help keeping me feeling full all day and I slowly no longer felt the need to overdo my portions at my meals.

My last point, dehydration can sometimes manifest itself in feeling hungry especially if you are new to eating healthy. Often we feel hungry when we are actually dehydrated so (and you have probably heard this a million times) start filling up good old water. Takes time….you will get there.

I've heard some cravings for sweet things can actually indicate thirst as well.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For me, what worked was a combination of tracking and modifying my food choices.

When I started tracking what I was actually eating, it gave me a better understanding of what I was eating, and that led me to looking into what might be better choices. I am not on a low carb diet, but I now tend to lean more towards meat and veggies than sugars and breads because it's a better bang for my buck hunger-wise - I tend to feel fuller on meat and veggies than on carbs.

Drinking water also helps. And I have to second the person who mentioned habits. I can sympathize with the feeling of having to order a lot of food and feeling hungry for it. But as I started eating differently, I realized that it was more of a habit than necessity, and cutting what I order (and eating at home more often) has helped curb this tendency.
  • tlblake84
    tlblake84 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Drink a full glass of water before dinner. That way you fill up quicker, then also eat slower. Your body probably isn't as hungry as its telling you. Drink more water and slow down, and likely you'll get "full" signals after 1-3 slices of pizza. If you get a side salad with anything, eat it first.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eat slower. Put your knife and fork down after EVERY bite. Chew thoroughly then when you've swallowed, pick up your knife and fork. Don't be distracted when you eat, properly think about the food you are eating so you're not mindlessly devouring food.

Have a full glass of water before you eat anything.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    If you are the cook-then cook less. Only have 1 cooked chicken breast available for yourself.
    And as others have said eat lots of salad and vegetables. fill up on those.
  • ultimatekatie
    ultimatekatie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tl;dr: Increase protein and veggies, and savor food rather than wolfing it down.

The long version:

I had this same problem all throughout college. It took awhile to realize that while I typically ate healthy foods, my actual habits of *eating* were not healthful. Here's all the things I found that helped me break those bad habits:

- Eat as much protein and veggies as you can. Protein keeps you satiated longer, and veggies help you feel "fuller" without overdoing it on calories.

- Dish out your plate or bowl and physically leave the kitchen to eat elsewhere. There's psychology to being satisfied with eating as much as you have in front of you, and if you have the proper portion and not more on your plate it will help.
    -
    - Eat slowly and "check in" with your tummy occasionally to give your body time to realize it's being fed and turn off ravenous hunger signals. (I.e. savor your food and don't mindlessly eat.) It can take up to 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it's full - so if you finish your plate, read another chapter/finish the episode you're watching/whatever else before going back for more. 90% of the time if I give myself 15 minutes to let everything settle, I realize I'm not actually hungry for seconds.
    - -The same applies for eating in-between meals, in my book: if you finish dinner and are getting a little hungry again later, there's nothing wrong with a pre-bedtime snack; just eat mindfully and slowly so that you don't overdo it before realizing that you're full.

- One of the biggest things for me was re-adjusting my mindset of what "full" meant. This actually happened because I had late evening practices for my sports team. If I ate until I was "full," meaning "STUFFED," then sprinting up and down the field was absolutely *dreadful* because I had a giant food-baby. So I started paying attention to when I felt "full" meaning "SATIATED" - and I stopped eating when I was no longer hungry, rather than when I was actually "FULL" full. (If you know what I mean :smile:). Now I feel "full" when I am no longer hungry, vs still feeling hungry if I am not completely stuffed and having to unbutton my jeans.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options

+1 to this. Not easy to do though.

- One of the biggest things for me was re-adjusting my mindset of what "full" meant. This actually happened because I had late evening practices for my sports team. If I ate until I was "full," meaning "STUFFED," then sprinting up and down the field was absolutely *dreadful* because I had a giant food-baby. So I started paying attention to when I felt "full" meaning "SATIATED" - and I stopped eating when I was no longer hungry, rather than when I was actually "FULL" full. (If you know what I mean :smile:). Now I feel "full" when I am no longer hungry, vs still feeling hungry if I am not completely stuffed and having to unbutton my jeans.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    For me, what worked was a combination of tracking and modifying my food choices.

When I started tracking what I was actually eating, it gave me a better understanding of what I was eating, and that led me to looking into what might be better choices. I am not on a low carb diet, but I now tend to lean more towards meat and veggies than sugars and breads because it's a better bang for my buck hunger-wise - I tend to feel fuller on meat and veggies than on carbs.

Drinking water also helps. And I have to second the person who mentioned habits. I can sympathize with the feeling of having to order a lot of food and feeling hungry for it. But as I started eating differently, I realized that it was more of a habit than necessity, and cutting what I order (and eating at home more often) has helped curb this tendency.

A lot of this describes my own experience too. Tracking every bite is what helped me learn how to eat the right amount of calories.

I can also relate to the person who replied first, saying a lot of it may be habit. That's an easier thing to "fix" but takes a bit longer.

In the past I had a lot of recipes/meals I'd been making a certain way for YEARS. For example, when I made quesadillas I always used the entire package of 10...for two people. I typically ate 4 and my ex husband had 6. That was just normal for me. I used a whole slice of Sargento pepper jack per every 2 tortillas, plus a bunch of shredded cheddar. They were good, no doubt, and I still eat those...but now I skip the pepper jack slice, and just have 2 tortillas, and stuff them with way more black beans, sautéed bell pepper, and onion. It fills me up, and is awesome. But at first, when tracking and realizing "holy cow that is a ton of cals from tortillas alone" it was a bit sad to me to have just 4 wedges of quesadilla when I was used to 8. So I get that, OP.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat of a reforming "big eater" myself. You might need to taper down a bit if you're going to be drastically reducing your portion sizes. It wasn't long before I I felt full on lesser and lesser amounts. Eating slower helps too. Eat your pizza with a knife and fork and wait longer between slices. Order / make less and have an apple for dessert instead of another slice. It really isn't that hard if you really want to do it. Like many have said, you've got to change your mentality about being full / stuffed / hungry / satisfied.
  • brain328
    brain328 Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm giving this weight loss thing another try. I lost 40lbs last time and then got injured and went back to my old ways. The injury still bothers me, but I've joined a gym with a pool and I'm super excited!

My biggest problem is portion sizes. I eat A LOT. For example, if we get pizza, I'll eat 7-8 slices easily. If we have pasta (my biggest weakness) I'll have 2 heaping bowls. Even with a chicken meal, I'll have 2 chicken breasts...

How do I start cutting back? I've tried before, using proper portion sizes, but that left me super hungry and I ended up snacking to fill myself up. I've tried eating 3 regular meals with a small snack in between but it doesn't work. I'm always hungry :(

If you guys could give me tips, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I always drink TONS of water! I drink about a gallon a day. Sometimes when your body is signalling you that you're hungry, you're actually thirsty and just can't tell the difference.

As for what to eat - well try to eat a lot of protein, which helps fill you up :)

I eat 5 small meals a day!

Herbalife breakfast shake
    Snack - high protein
    Herbalife lunch shake
    Snack - high protein
    Colorful dinner (1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Gobuggy99 your advice is excellent.

I would like to add to it by saying that having a light appetiser ( salad, veg fruit) 15-20 min before dinner signals to the brain and stomach that you are eatingand stimulates your appitite . This in turn will make you feel fuller sooner.

Also, a small bowl of sherbet after dinner helps cleanse the palate, and helps reduce the urge to eat more.
    Cheers, h.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your diary. Weigh and measure your portions and stick to it.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Food scale. It's an eye opener.

This is a big help. It can be quite the eye-opener that, combined with logging your calories, really helps you understand what your actual intake is. But, on the plus side, having that detailed knowledge also gives you the ability to say "I **CAN** have X amount of the food I like, today" instead of the often used tactic of avoiding all the food you find pleasurable to eat, like "no more deserts for me" or "I can't have chocolate anymore".

Another tactic that could help is altering the accessibility. If you can make it more challenging for you to even obtain more than one portion, it becomes more challenging to eat it. I have lots of ingredients in my house, but very little that I can simply grab and eat. Having to put in more effort and thought into putting the things together (even if it's just adding the hot water to the Kraft Mac n Cheese) gives me more pause to consider if I really want to or should eat it.

With pasta, if you're making your own, it would be a matter of controlling the amount you make. If you only make as many portions as there are people dining, it's harder for you to access more than one portion because you now have to ask someone at the table for some of theirs. If you're eating by yourself, use that food scale to measure out exactly one portion of dry pasta and cook it. Then, if you want more, you're going to have to go through the production process all over again. Even putting any additional prepared portions (to include slices of pizza) away in a container in the fridge can help by enhancing the "out of sight, out of mind" factor.

The bottom line would be: the more time it takes to access the additional food, the more time you have to stop yourself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Try logging things before you eat so you can see how much you can fit in your day. Make or order less high calorie food and more low calorie foods. Have a big salad with your pizza and just eat 1-2 pieces instead of 7-8.
    Use a smaller plate.
    Eat slower.
    Drink water or unsweetened drinks most of the time. Save your calories for food.
    Wait 20 minutes or so to see if you are really hungry before getting another portion. Drink some water while you are waiting.
    Exercise more if you eat more.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Try filling up on high protein and high fiber foods. They are slower to digest, which keeps you feeling fuller longer. Limit refined carbs (breads and pastas) because they lack fiber, digesting quicker, causing a sugar and insulin spike, and the eventual sugar crash (causing cravings).

• crunnerwv
    crunnerwv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you getting a lot of veggies? LOAD UP on non-starchy veggies. Measure out a portion of pasta, fill in with veggies, and choose red sauce over cream sauces. Quantity vs quality works well when you're trying to fill up. With pizza - make it at home, thin crust, you control the ingredients and have a salad with it. Good luck!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I struggled with overly large portion sizes/appetite for years. It led to me developing bulimia (I felt it was the only way I could lose weight with how much I ate). I had to change and adapt to better portions. I use pint glasses for my water intake. I have 1 before I drink my coffee in the morning (I ALWAYS have coffee so this gurantees more water), I drink 1-2 before every meal and when I start getting hungry. I made a rule in the beginning to eat when I was hungry. So I ate a lot, I just made myself eat a lot of veggies. Like I would eat a whole 16oz frozen broccoli for instance. Or I would eat apples. Or something nourishing (almonds) For the first week or two I was eating a ton of produce and protein, but I noticed that after 7-10 days I wasn't reaching for snacks as often. Then I noticed I was leaving some bites uneaten on my plate, so I would prepare a little bit less. The thought of eating 1300-1500 calories a day 6 months ago seemed impossible, I was convinced I NEEDED at least 1900 to function. Nope. I can easily eat 1300 a day now, or about 1800 a day if I was very active.