How soon to start training for a mini?

Options
i just started running again and overcame a HUGE obstacle last night, which gave me a huge boost of motivation. So my question to you is: how soon should a beginner runner start training for a mini? There is a mini in April but I'm not sure if that is adequate time for training. Any tips or advice is welcome :)

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's a mini?
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is a mini a half? Tons of people are starting to train now for halfs this spring. I am training for a quarter marathon May 2. I think it is definitely doable. You can find solid training plans anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks online.
  • beautyandbraaains
    beautyandbraaains Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A 13 mile run. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    A 13 mile run. :)

Half Marathon then.

Depends on how far you can run now, and what your total weekly mileage is at the moment.

It also depends on what your objective will be; completion or a time.

In four months from a standing start, it's optimistic and has much higher exposure to injury risk.

What are your current performances?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    A half-marathon.
    This plan (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program) is 12 weeks long. Hal Higdon suggests that you be able to run 3 miles a few times a week before attempting a half marathon though. If you can't do that comfortably, you may be better off picking a shorter distance (like a 10k=6.2 miles) as your first run, then training for a half after that.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What is the longest distance you have run recently? How many times a week will you be able to dedicate to running?

I transitioned from 5ks to 10ks to half. I started running in March of 2014 and ended up running my first half at the end of November. Prior to the half I had run multiple runs over 10 miles. But, my understanding is you only 'have' to run 10 miles prior to a half.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm going to start out by saying that almost anyone in decent shape can finish a half marathon. That's finish, not run-the-whole-thing. Most half marathons are open for 4 hours. That distance can be walked in 4 hours at about a 3.5 MPH pace. So, if your objective is to finish a half marathon, then you could probably run/walk one tomorrow. You might not be able to get out of bed the next day, but you'd finish.

Most of us want to complete a half marathon at a running pace. Most half marathon training plans will only have you running 11 miles as your longest run 2-3 weeks before the race. By that point, though, you'll be repeatedly running 6-7 miles a couple of times each week. Given that you shouldn't increase your weekly running distance by more than 10% each week, it takes time to go from just starting running to really being ready to run a half marathon. I personally started C25K in April 2011, ran a 10K in October and my first half marathon in January 2012. I could probably have done it a bit sooner if I'd seriously started increasing distance sooner but the summers here are hot (100°+) and it's tough to get in distance runs before work.

Depending on how much you're running now, you probably won't be ready to run an entire 13.1 miles by April. If, however, you want to run some and walk some, and don't mind taking 3.5 hours or so to complete it, then go for it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    laurajo521 wrote: »
    Is a mini a half? Tons of people are starting to train now for halfs this spring. I am training for a quarter marathon May 2. I think it is definitely doable. You can find solid training plans anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks online.

A quarter? Is that a 10k?

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Dark_Roast wrote: »

Must be, although it's a bit short of that. Never seen it described as such except here though.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much time you can dedicate to running between now and then and how amiable your body is to increasing mileage that rapidly. I know from experience that my body couldn't handle that jump in mileage that quickly...I would have to have a pretty good base of mileage to attempt a 1/2 in a mere 12 weeks or so.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

Must be, although it's a bit short of that. Never seen it described as such except here though.

I've never seen a race labeled as a quarter marathon.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is there no 10k where you live?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also check out Jeff Galloway. He does the run/walk/run method. When I completed my first 1/2 I used this and it was really helpful. I will say that I didn't train much for that one at all. Your goal for your first 1/2 like others have said is to finish.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm training for a half now (it's next month eek!) and this is the program I'm using:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

It's 12 weeks long but I started more like 18 weeks in advance, to allow for weeks off due to being sick, vacation, etc. Which turned out to be a good thing because I've gotten sick like three times, ugh.

Good luck training!

ETA: I'm not following the program EXACTLY, basically just following the mileage. So currently I'm running three times a week - three miles, five miles, and then a long run on weekends - and doing other workouts on my non-run days.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I'm training for a half now (it's next month eek!) and this is the program I'm using:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

It's 12 weeks long but I started more like 18 weeks in advance, to allow for weeks off due to being sick, vacation, etc. Which turned out to be a good thing because I've gotten sick like three times, ugh.

Good luck training!

ETA: I'm not following the program EXACTLY, basically just following the mileage. So currently I'm running three times a week - three miles, five miles, and then a long run on weekends - and doing other workouts on my non-run days.

I started training early for my half as well and am using the same training program and doing the same thing with the mileage - though I"m building up sorta loosely, since I started so early.

OP, as long as you have been running a couple of times a week, you could probably finish a half marathon (13 miles) in April. You should keep running routinely, and find a training program you like - that'll tell you when you should start training. I've found that Higdon's training programs are highly regarded here - and his program is working well for me, so far. FYI, I am scheduled to run a half marathon on 29March and began training a few weeks ago (to be ahead of schedule in case of injury or illness). Prior to HM training, I was already able to run 4 or 5 miles at a time, though.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
  • beautyandbraaains
    beautyandbraaains Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement. The 1/2 Marathon I wanted to sign up for was the Triple Crown, which is a series of races ending with a mini marathon. It's a pretty big deal and is involved with the Derby (louisville, Ky). I was hoping signing up for it would motivate me but sounds like it's too soon to push myself that hard. Ill give it the next couple of weeks to see how my progress goes. Thanks everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was hoping signing up for it would motivate me but sounds like it's too soon to push myself that hard. Ill give it the next couple of weeks to see how my progress goes.

That sounds like a far more sensible approach, particularly as you're now suggesting that you were talking about running a 5K and a 10K as well as the half marathon. I hadn't wanted to weigh in with a yea or nay recommendation until you'd been open about your current capabilities, as even if you're reduced to using Galloway method a half is enough to put you off running if you're not prepared for it.

In terms of motivation, it should be possible to train for the 10K in the time available, and if you can enter that race alone then I'd suggest using that as a mechanism to motivate yourself.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Nor me. I'm not sure if it's been more than one person on here using the term.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Nor me. I'm not sure if it's been more than one person on here using the term.
    I've seen a 10K called a mini-marathon which is why the use of that term to describe a half marathon confused me. Why can't race organizers all just use the same terminology?!? ::shakes fist::