What made you decied to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It happened by accident. I am a software developer - we were all inert, office jobs, sitting around, and slowly expanding around the waistline. The way most people talk about it, it's a normal part of getting older, as if nothing can be done about it.

Then I joined Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a hobby, and a form of self-defense (I was a huge UFC bro back in the day). I lost 10 lbs by accident, just by doing something active. I had no idea I was out of shape and fat before that.

That's when I took notice, realized what fit people actually look like, and started reading more about health & fitness. Now I'm 35 lbs lighter, in the best shape of my life, and looking to potentially gain weight (in terms of muscle).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I already had a dodgy medical history and then I was diagnosed in fairly rapid succession with a brain tumor (non malignant) and psoriatic arthritis. In the past, I had gone through letting a medical condition get me down, and I refused to let it happen again. I started exercising, the trainer at my first gym recommended MFP for tracking, and here I am.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I was going to turn a year older.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm not really ready to lose weight, but one thing that is really getting me there is, I struggle to breathe, especially after getting up quickly or climbing stairs. I often wake up choking. I have a higher cholesterol than I should, and sometimes I wake up choking.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My back, I suffer with a lot of pain and figured it was due to my weight but I'm nearly 60lbs down with little to no improvement. Other than that the usual, being lonely and unhappy sucks.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Did you manage to prevent that by losing weight? ;)
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    After the worst asthma attack I've had to date I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor. She had a very frank and honest talk with me. While it was true that my cholesterol was good, my blood pressure was good and even my sugar levels were good I still had to lose weight. At 330lb the weight was impacting my breathing making it difficult for my lungs to expand. The need and the desire to breathe: that's what made me decide.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    3 things:

1) I couldn't even hack a 10 minute hike to a waterfall when visiting my SIL's family
    2) I was size 16 and flirting with plus size.. 16's were getting too small and 18's were too big
    3) I wanted to be able to have a second child and my weight was getting in the way of that.

Now: I can hike to my heart's content, I wear size 10 pants and I'm due with my second child next week. Well, the first 2 are pre-pregnancy, but I'll get back to those after delivery :P
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had to make a video of me teaching for an annual evaluation. I thought, "who is that chubby girl dancing on stage & why does she sound just like me?"
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was at my all-time highest and pretty frustrated with myself. I happened to get food poisoning and lost a few pounds in a couple of days. Instead of going back to my old ways, I figured I might was well use that as a jump start to a renewed diet effort.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Seeing how old and sad my younger sister looked being seriously overweight. Then I looked in the mirror.

Also wanting to dance at my grandbabies' weddings.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    ourtruelovewillneverdie Posts: 170 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Having kids. I realized I wanted to be around for them and active with them as long as I could. Also, my Dad having heart surgery this past year really made me dial back in to healthy living and having my yearly bloodwork show higher than normal sugar and bad cholesterol levels. I realized I needed to lose the ten pounds or so I gained from my car accident and get more active.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    For me it was a few things. I saw a picture of myself on holiday, taken from the side, I looked... unhealthy. Then I went to the doctor for something and she decided to test me for diabetes because I'm overweight and it runs in my family, fortunately the test was negative but it could so easily have read differently and that scared me. Finally I had a friend come visit me with a Jawbone UP and the technology intrigued me... and when I got one myself (to make me walk more) I found my way to MFP...

I've tried to diet in the past, but I didn't have MFP and I didn't have a digital weighing scale that shows the smallest of weight losses and helps inspire me every day and keep me on track. :-) I think it also helps that with MFP I can eat everything I always did, I just have to watch my portions. Thank you MFP for teaching me portion control!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and seen that I was only a few pounds away from being the weight I promised myself I would never be again. Plus it was time to lose what I called my "widow weight" that I had gained after taking horrible care of myself when my husband passed away. I was moving on emotionally so it only seemed fitting to do so physically.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Did you manage to prevent that by losing weight? ;)

Of course she did. Losing weight is magic. ;)
  • thunderkitty82
    thunderkitty82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Snoring... It's actually caused by overweight as much as other factors... My relationship broke because of it... My girl couldn't sleep at night and kept waking me up trying to get me to turn off of my back to my side... We both were so annoyed at some point we gave up on each other...

Plus I don't like looking at myself anymore... 230 pounds is to much... Im down to 208 now... 190 is the first milestone for me... Manageable!
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It was my 24th birthday, and I was still a virgin. I'd got through 4 years of university without getting laid. You actually have to work pretty hard to achieve that.

Still hurts to say that, but maybe it'll help someone to read it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    THIS............
    Christmas 2008

c6zc2ztea1r0.jpg

It scared mr half to death! Talk about weight creeping up during menopause, I was at the top of my normal BMI at 130 lbs. 5'1, 55yo.

Lost the weight (25-30lb) that year through calorie counting, exercise (cardio & strength), and have maintained ever since.

This Christmas, comfortable at the lower end of my BMI and weigh between 100-105, still 5'1, 61yo.

xj8quebyo044.jpg

Cheers, h.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When a friend who weighed much more than I did was losing weight and about to weigh less than me. True story.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My family wanted to have an intervention about my weight and it wasn't the first time they wanted to.