Healthy make at home chinese food recipes....

Options
bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
My husband and I get chinese takeout every thursday after my WW weigh in.
We are looking to save some money this year and switch to every other thursday.
I would love some healthier chinese food recipes to try at home. I know chinese isn't healthy overall and i know what i get from the restaurant isn't healthy BUT if I'm going to be making at home i figured i should give it a try...
Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions....

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wok? (If not, you should :) )
    http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/healthy-stir-fry-recipes
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I lightly steam broccoli, zucchini, squash, snow peas, sprouts or anything we have on hand. In a wok, put some coconut oil, heat then add chopped chicken. Cook until tender. Add steamed veggies. Salt and pepper. Put over fresh rice. I am allergic to soy but you could addsoy or teriyaki for an Asian flavor.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I love pepper steak with rice. I sautee peppers, onion, garlic, ginger (I buy this fresh. After I peeled and grated what i need which doesn't take much, you store in ziploc in freezer. Stays good a very long time) and sirloin steak. Add broth, sometimes tomatoes, soy, sirachi or some type of hot sauce and a tiny sesame oil. One of my favs... I thicken with cornstarch in a small amount of water.

Note: sesame oil is very potent. You don't need much.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I love pepper steak with rice. I sautee peppers, onion, garlic, ginger (I buy this fresh. After I peeled and grated what i need which doesn't take much, you store in ziploc in freezer. Stays good a very long time) and sirloin steak. Add broth, sometimes tomatoes, soy, sirachi or some type of hot sauce and a tiny sesame oil. One of my favs... I thicken with cornstarch in a small amount of water.

Note: sesame oil is very potent. You don't need much.

i was planning a stir fry for dinner - now i am FOR SURE and using my sesame oil. i love that stuff!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The ingredients are key. Some recipes might call for bok choy, ginger, peanut oil, sesame seeds . . .
    Get an account on Pinterest and start trying key words:
    Sweet and Sour Soup, Egg Drop Soup, Shrimp Stir Fry, Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken, Garlic-Ginger & Honey Chicken.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fried rice is easy, just stir fry veggies, add rice, egg, soy sauce, and mix, lol.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd invest in a good Chinese cookbook. Gok Wan is very good and Ching He-Huang (pro-actively make their food more nutritional), Ken Hom if you want to go a little more old school :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't use a wok or anything fancy, I just use a big pan. I sautee broccoli, carrots, peas, and whatever floats my boat that day until brown. Then I add rice, egg, soy sauce, a sweetener of some sort, like honey, some crushed red pepper and sometimes some store bought Szechwan sauce. I use whatever meat I've got on hand, season, dice and throw in with it.
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I make my own sweet and sour chicken from scratch. The sauce is easy; pineapple juice, tomato sauce and vinegar.

Loads of veg and chicken over brown rice with the sauce over. A large portion came in at around 550 calories. A lot less than my usual takeaway and satisfied the craving :smiley:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here folks! Bump to save. :D
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    morkiemama wrote: »
    Some great ideas here folks! Bump to save. :D

i like your car morkie. i had one just like it a few years ago! :smile:
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    shrimp and broccoli. having that tonight.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Gx____ wrote: »
    I make my own sweet and sour chicken from scratch. The sauce is easy; pineapple juice, tomato sauce and vinegar.

Loads of veg and chicken over brown rice with the sauce over. A large portion came in at around 550 calories. A lot less than my usual takeaway and satisfied the craving :smiley:

wow that sauce sounds great - i am def. going to try that one.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I like to get a lot of my recipes from Youtube, especially a channel called HAPPY WOK and Poor Man's Gourmet Kitchen. Really delicious stuff. :flowerforyou:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is a fab recipe. You can dial back the sauce a little if your goals require it - I also find if you use fresh garlic and ginger instead of powder and if you marinate the meat in the sauce before cooking the meat and sauce together you get a little more bang for your buck. You can also change/increase the veggies and use whatever cut of meat fits your goals. Good with chicken breast, too. And lots of sriracha :).

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-easy-beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-99476
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is actually very good for you. Not the western stuff but. that is not even real Chinese food

Stick to lean meat and vegies with a controlled portion of rice