High protein diet, need more fiber - suggestions?

Options
rand486
rand486 Posts: 270 Member
I've been pretty much at maintenance for the last few years, just using MFP casually to keep within range, but always looking to tweak for improvements!

One thing I've noticed is that because so much of my diet is focused on getting enough protein, I'm not hitting the daily recommended amount of fiber. I drink a lot of coffee, so it's not much of an issue ;)

That said, I don't think I should be relying on that. I eat a ton of chicken/lean meats, veggies, and dairy. Any recipe suggestions that are low calorie-compatible, while still high protein & high fiber?

Note: I am not looking for ingredients - we all know about beans, lentils and the like. I'm looking for complete recipes.

Thanks!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I find I get lots of fibre from the vegetables I add to my meals, as well as my protein bars.

Sorry, definitely not a recipe for you haha :#
  • rand486
    Options
    Yeah, I eat a ton of veggies, but according to MFP, it's still nowhere near what I need. Perhaps it's just not reporting it?

I had a similar dilemma when I was looking into potassium - I thought I was way short. Then I learned most nutritional info just flat out doesn't report it. Turned out I get plenty!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I can see it!
    I make all my own entries on the items I eat, so that way they're more accurate! Maybe start that way? You could have grabbed "broccoli" from the database and it could just be calories and none of the nutritional information added.
  • rand486
    Options
    Well, I always ensure the macros are on there (Carb, fat, protein), but you're right - I don't pay attention to the other categories most of the time.

Ugh, I don't want to go back through all my recipes! There's so many! Haha
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-cheesy-spaghetti-with-turkey-sausag/
    i made this recipe last night, I doubled it, used extra lean ground turkey (99% fat free) and other than that I thought I followed it correctly. I changed the serving size to 4 per what she had listed since it looked small, after entering it into MFP and verifying at least some of the macros, each serving came out to have 513cals, 7g of fiber, 62g protein, 12g fat and 44g carbs. Hope that helps!

Also I have quest bars to help up my fiber on days when I need it. I also add chia seeds to a bunch of stuff like protein shakes, quiches, yogurt, etc...
  • rand486
    Options
    I thought about chia seed, especially for shakes & cottage cheese (which I have for breakfast often). Thanks!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed in Greek yogurt throw some cocoa powder in shakes 2 grams of fiber per tablespoon. Quest bars every other day. Powdered inulin supplement.(prebiotic fiber)
  • Transformed2Health
    Options
    add plenty of unprocessed nuts and/or nut butters into your diet. This adds a great source of protein. I use chia and flax seeds into my smoothies each morning as well. Steel cut oats are a great source to throw into your smoothies or eat with fresh berries. You can add them raw or cooked into a smoothie. Keeps you full for a long time as well. Of course, lots of leafy greens into your diet, especially in a morning or after workout smoothie is also a great way to add protein. I also use whey isolate occasionally. Just an FYI be careful about adding to many vitamins and minerals such as potassium without doing your due diligence. Too much potassium can cause cardiac dysrhythmias just as too much calcium can cause cardiac issues or kidney issues. Just trying to keep ya safe but I am sure you have done your homework :D
  • spinmomz
    spinmomz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    I've been pretty much at maintenance for the last few years, just using MFP casually to keep within range, but always looking to tweak for improvements!

One thing I've noticed is that because so much of my diet is focused on getting enough protein, I'm not hitting the daily recommended amount of fiber. I drink a lot of coffee, so it's not much of an issue ;)

That said, I don't think I should be relying on that. I eat a ton of chicken/lean meats, veggies, and dairy. Any recipe suggestions that are low calorie-compatible, while still high protein & high fiber?

Note: I am not looking for ingredients - we all know about beans, lentils and the like. I'm looking for complete recipes.

Thanks!

• togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    beans and lentils. High in protein and high in fibre.

I sometimes get a can of four/five bean mix and eat that with a can of tuna on the side. If you want to fancy it up drain them and add some vegetables or a can of tuna and mix it up like a salad. That one 400g can of beans (less when drained) gives me about 15-20g of fibre, a similar amount of protein and all for about 300 odd calories.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Oh and yeah you will find a lot of foods on MFP don't state that they contain fibre in their macros but the foods do contain fibre so don't worry too much if you don't meet your fibre macro.

I just try to eat as much fibre as I can without really worrying about it too often unless I need to - then I pop open the beans...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of bean based chili. I don't have a specific recipe, but I combine whatever beans I have on hand (usually black beans, kidney beans, or black eyed peas), canned crushed tomatoes, chopped bell peppers and water-sautéed onions with enough water to cover and simmer it with a few tablespoons of chili powder. Most of the time it comes out to less than 250 calories for a full bowl and it's relatively high in both protein and fibre.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Metamucil is how I close my day out daily to make sure I hit mine. Butter beans and other legumes are pretty high as well. Lima beans, split peas, black beans. Sorry I don't have complete recipes, but I pretty much eat my beans with a little salt and pepper sauce. Haha
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do something similar to this, but leave out the olives and olive oil. I think it's just fine with only lemon juice. I also, a lot of the times, add lentils to this dish--or--make this dish with just lentils and skip the quinoa (depends on what's left in my pantry.) It's yummy!

http://www.closetcooking.com/2014/01/mediterranean-quinoa-salad.html
  • jknovik
    Options
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/23888/white-chili/

I like to make this white chili recipe w/o the corn and with about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese instead of 12 oz of cubed pepper jack. It has 2 cans of beans to provide a lot of fiber.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of peas. I buy a big bag of frozen from Costco, they have some protein and are high fiber. Also chickpeas and/or hummus is good. And edamame.

Fiber is carbohydrate so beans are kind of where it's at if you don't want to have your protein macro blown to smithereenes by your carb macro.

I picked up a bag of Chia seeds at Costco some time back, and experimented with them. I eventually just found them to be not worth the calories so they have been sitting in my freezer for months. But, I do recommend chia pudding, that can be good and tailored to your macro needs by incorporating protein powder. Otherwise, I don't care for chia seeds.
  • mcc4r90
    mcc4r90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover of spiralized veggies.. I use them as 'pasta'. A great recipe for a healthy sauce, high in fibre, is one that uses pureed white beans (or any type of bean really) as the base. Add ground turkey, chicken, veggies, spices as you prefer to make it a complete dish. Hope this helps!
  • rand486
    Options
    add plenty of unprocessed nuts and/or nut butters into your diet. This adds a great source of protein... Steel cut oats are a great source to throw into your smoothies or eat with fresh berries.

An irrational pet peeve of mine is when people refer to nuts as a source of protein. Yes, it has protein in it, but nuts are a high source of FATS, in my mind, not protein.

Oats and nuts always read to me as bulking foods - the calories... haha - I'm being neurotic, now, aren't I? :P
    I do something similar to this, but leave out the olives and olive oil. I think it's just fine with only lemon juice. I also, a lot of the times, add lentils to this dish--or--make this dish with just lentils and skip the quinoa (depends on what's left in my pantry.) It's yummy!

http://www.closetcooking.com/2014/01/mediterranean-quinoa-salad.html

This looks incredible! I wonder if I could bulk make this and have it after training... throw some chicken in there, to make it high protein, and I'm good to go! :)
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    And edamame.

I picked up a bag of Chia seeds at Costco some time back, and experimented with them. I eventually just found them to be not worth the calories

Edamame is a great snack - I should re-integrate that into my diet. I forgot all about them.

That's ultimately why I haven't tried chia yet either, though I may give it a shot.

Ultimately, I'm finding it's easy to hit my fiber goals when I'm bulking, but cutting makes it awfully difficult...
    mcc4r90 wrote: »
    I'm a lover of spiralized veggies.. I use them as 'pasta'.

Not sure what "spiralized" veggies are, but I've made "squash spaghetti" before with great results! Thanks for the reminder!

Also, I forgot about shirataki noodles, which are extremely low calorie, and basically entirely fiber.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get all my fiber from veggies and those low carb/high fiber and protein wraps (Flat Out or La Tortilla Factory).