Why do my feet fall asleep during cardio?

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
My feet always fall asleep about 15 minutes into all cardio (toes mainly). Doesnt matter if its treadmill, eliptical, running outside, zumba, step aerobics, etc... I am wearing properly fitted running shoes (from a small running store that does a gait analysis). Ive always just dealt with it, but its really irritating!

Anyone know why this happens?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    For me it was shoes. I kpet trying to buy normal width shoes instead of wide width and that did not allow my foot to strike down correctly. I was also told you might have the shoes on too tight. If you have the problem consistently it could be a circulation issue.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Most likely, your heart is too busy pumping blood to your lungs and other muscles--it can't get to your toes.

Do you have Reynaud's syndrome or other problems with poor circulation?
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing, but only on the elliptical. Thought it was just me!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Try different shoes. I wear wide width shoes. I can tolerate normal, if I go up a size. But, if I try my normal size (8-1/2), but regular width? Ain't happening.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    For me its either laces too tight or shoes too small.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It happens to me only on elliptical machines and stair climbers. Treadmills or running outside...I am fine. I assumed it was something about the angle of the foot and too much of my weight being on the toes for too long. Maybe you should try to put more of the weight in the midfoot or heel...just a suggestion.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This sounds like poor circulation. Full disclaimer; I strongly suggest that you discuss symptoms of poor circulation with your doctor. If you’re experiencing uncomfortable symptoms, they may be the sign of an underlying health condition.

HOWEVER, if MFP is your guide here goes. It could be something simpler like improper footwear. Different shoes needed for all the activities you listed above. I actually had to buy separate Zumba shoes. Which worked poorly in bootcamp. Also, try adjusting your form, particularly with the elliptical. People are often in those “wrong” for prolonged periods of time. And I end pretty much any recommendation with increased hydration and yoga!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I find that for me it is the laces. Some shoes have laces that cut across the top of your foot more than others. When I have laces like that, my feet go numb when I tie the shoes tight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I find that for me it is the laces. Some shoes have laces that cut across the top of your foot more than others. When I have laces like that, my feet go numb when I tie the shoes tight.
    Laces. Loosen them up a bit or try tying them differently and see if that helps.
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me its either laces too tight or shoes too small.

Ditto.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I dont have any medical conditions or poor circulation over all.

My laces are definitely not too tight. I HATE tight shoes (actually all shoes, lol) and barely tighten them. I end up trying to tie them with about 3" of laces, lol.

Width wise they feel ok, but ill try a pair of wides and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • rozhansen
    rozhansen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try shoes that are very flexible too
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem off and on. I changed my shoes and that helped but what really got me on the right track was several chiropractic adjustments. I had slacked off going for a while and I started developing the problem of my feet falling asleep during cardio. After several lower back and hip adjustments, the problem went away. I can't say this would be for you necessarily but if you have addressed all other problems and are in good health, this could help you.