OK to lift if muscles still sore... right?

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
OK, so recently I increased my weights so I'm a little sore. I lift Sunday, I rest Monday, it's now Tuesday. I'm not in horrible pain but there's detectable muscle soreness. I can still go back to the gym and lift again safely, right? Maybe just a bit more stretching and some ibuprofen?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yes, you can. We have some amazing ability to recover.

I'd avoid the ibuprofen, your body will get with the program. Up to you though. Also, I'm lukewarm on the stretching, doesn't do much for me when I have DOMS
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I just make sure I don't over do it. Or I choose another rotation of exercises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Also, stretching doesn't accelerate reduction DOMS for most. It feels better because more blood is forced into the area, but just moving the muscle around (say for a sore bicep, you simulate bicep curls with no weight) will give the same effect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Thanks guys. Back to the gym tonight, then!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Shoot, if I waited until my muscles were completely recovered I'd never get any workouts in. As long as it isn't enough to affect your form (which could set you up for injury), go for it. Not so sure about the stretching, but just do plenty of light warm-up lifts before you move to your working weight. And if you're not already doing so, look into doing some foam rolling and other targeted massage post-workout.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I usually feel *less* sore after another workout, actually. I've gone to the gym still walking uncomfortably after my last leg day, done a bunch of squats, then skipped out feeling amazing.
  • Marz009
    Marz009 Posts: 26
    Options
    avoid pain killers, you want to know exactly what your body is feeling at all times. are you doing the same muscle group you did Sunday? i usually give my muscles 48-72 hours rest it all depends if your used to it or not. and if your gym has a jacuzzi i recommend using it after lifting, it helps relief soreness
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Marz009 wrote: »
    avoid pain killers, you want to know exactly what your body is feeling at all times. are you doing the same muscle group you did Sunday? i usually give my muscles 48-72 hours rest it all depends if your used to it or not. and if your gym has a jacuzzi i recommend using it after lifting, it helps relief soreness

Agree with 48-72 hrs...muscles cannot grow if they don't have time to recover...so IMO you'll be burning calories still but being counterintuitive on muscle building
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options

Or, personal preference of mine, is the sauna instead. Feels great after a tough workout.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Two words: Ice Bath. Works wonders on sore muscles IMHO.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Or, personal preference of mine, is the sauna instead. Feels great after a tough workout.
    Oh absolutely! But I prefer the steam room......about 5 or 6 cycles interspersed with cold shower (I wish they had a plunge pool but I guess someone might have a cardiac event or something) ...absolute luxury going back in the hot steam!
    Drink plenty of water and learn to love DOM, he's a lovely chap really ;) ...stay away from painkillers, your stomach/liver will love you for it. :)
  • arreviking
    arreviking Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Totaly ok, if you have an exercise rotation it would be great. But 48 hours is still ok although 72 hours would be better if youre going to exercise same muscles again. Try some kind of BCAA, you will find that youre recovering much faster. Less or no pain.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if i'm really sore i go easier than i would if i wasn't sore, more like active recovery. I wont max out my lifts if i'm really sore.
    My lifting schedule has 3-4 days between muscle groups, its rare that i'm still sore on day 4.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yeah, you're fine...I'm almost always a little bit sore.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your sorest days end up being your best days. Just go in, do something to get the blood flowing and some warm-up sets and have at it. You might surprise yourself once you get into a groove.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Two days between lifting would be better then? Maybe just cardio on the other days, like the ellilptical?
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I work different body parts on different days with 48 hours between muscle groups e.g back/chest Monday, legs Tuesday, biceps/triceps Wednesday, etc, etc. Gives your muscles time to recover. Works for me although everyone is different.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Two days between lifting then? Maybe just cardio on the other days, like the ellilptical?

Two days minimum between muscle groups if you work them good imo...so if you did arms Monday maybe don't hit them till Thursday if you work the hard but you may do tues as back wed legs etc.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Two days between lifting then? Maybe just cardio on the other days, like the ellilptical?

Two days minimum between muscle groups if you work them good imo...so if you did arms Monday maybe don't hit them till Thursday if you work the hard but you may do tues as back wed legs etc.

Even beginner routines such as Stronglifts and Starting Strength have one day in between workouts with the same target muscles getting hit.